PDA

View Full Version : OT: Ridiculous eBay offers

Birdbats
01-11-2010, 09:58 AM
Last night, I listed a sweet Kirby Puckett game-used bat on eBay, signed by the late HOFer. In my e-mail this morning, I had a message asking "Would you accept $200?" I'm sure many of you have had this happen, so I wanted to throw this out there for fun. What are some of the most ridiculous (yet apparently serious) offers you've received for items you listed on eBay?

BULBUS
01-11-2010, 10:56 AM
I think that my prices on Ebay are fair, but I still get offers 75% or more off my price. I either don't even respond or I'll reply "No thanks." I won't even counter offer those low offers.

And when I use the Best Offer option, I'll set it up so those low ballers are automatically rejected.

-Chris

ivo610
01-11-2010, 11:06 AM
Someone offered me $200 shipped for a pair of game issued Lebron all star shoes that rarely sold uner $1,000 on ebay at the time. Its not even worth responding to these people because you know they arent going to come close matching what you want. More often than not though, i am tempted to reply with a vulgar rant.

BoneRubbedBat
01-11-2010, 11:18 AM
Will e-Bay's system let you counteroffer with an amount higher than the original BIN price?

mbenga28
01-11-2010, 11:23 AM
the really annoying ones are not those who submit lowball offers, but those who send you a message, "hello I am from China nice jersey perhaps we can do a trade" and they offer a bench player or issued item.

jetersbatboy
01-11-2010, 11:35 AM
I got one of these offers this morning. It was like 95% less then my asking price. My asking price is on the higher side, but I don't expect it to sell at it.

hrvatwill
01-11-2010, 11:44 AM
Some people do it just to be a smart aleck. I had a friend tell me that he was going to offer $30 for the game used Roberto Clemente jersey that was listed by Mears on ebay a few weeks ago for about an hour. While this may have been amusing to him, I'm sure it irritated the seller to no end (if he actually went through with it).

5kRunner
01-11-2010, 11:46 AM
I hate when I get one of these low offers, counteroffer and tell the offeror this is the lowest I'm willing to accept right now. Just to have the offeror send me another offer for slightly higher than their first one. Stop wasting my time! :mad:

xpress34
01-11-2010, 12:27 PM
I think that my prices on Ebay are fair, but I still get offers 75% or more off my price. I either don't even respond or I'll reply "No thanks." I won't even counter offer those low offers.

And when I use the Best Offer option, I'll set it up so those low ballers are automatically rejected.

-Chris

Chris -

I do the same thing with the Best Offer 'threshold'... but I also set the threshold to automatically accept offers over a certain amount. That way I have my 'what I'd like to get' (BIN), my 'what I'd accept' (auto accept threshold), my 'are you kidding' (auto reject threshold) and then there is the 'grey area' between the Auto accept and auto reject where I can consider the offer or make a counter-offer. Then I don't have to even deal with the DAs (and I don't mean District Attorneys) who offer $1 or whatever... I don't even see their offers or get an eMail unless I open the auction and look at the 'offer sheet'.

I have also had stupidly low ball offers from other eBay SELLERS who are selling the same or similar item. I go to their auction and lowball them right back and then they actually counter (like my example below) with an offer that's just a few dollars less than their BIN. And they don't seem to get that the offer came from the Seller they just tried to lowball???:confused:

As a rule of thumb, when I am going to make an offer - the MINIMUM I will start at is 50% of BIN, usually closer to 60% - 75% of BIN.

What irritates me is a guy has an item for say BIN $399. I offer say $250. He comes back with a counter or $389. REALLY? At that point I make no other offers. Why not just reject my offer? I've had many sellers contact me after their auction ends to see if I'd still make the same deal because their item didn't sell and I was the ONLY offer.

The other one that irritates me is guy has a BIN of again, say $399. You make an offer (of ANY amount) below his BIN. You get a rejection with a note to the effect, "The BIN is the lowest we are willing to go on this item, etc."... the why the hell did you put a BEST OFFER option in your auction?!:mad:

Ah, the fun, the fun...

All the best -

Chris

allstarsplus
01-11-2010, 12:29 PM
Jeff - I have 2 stories of complete opposite sides of the equation on ridiculous offer w/ a message, and then awesome offer w/ a message.

So I have one of the marked Barry Bonds balls from his 700th HR game at a BIN at $7,300 w/ Best Offer. So this is what I typically get.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200150226442
http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif22jeff (http://myworld.ebay.com/22jeff/)http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif( 310 (http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=22jeff)http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/icon/iconTealStar_25x25.gif) http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gifUS $3.99 You automatically declined Jan-13-09 22:06:45 PST90638-1402http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gifhttp://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif Buyer message: to bad Barry was such a jerk. i would have made a real offer. jeff-

Then on the opposite side of the equation, I just put up over the weekend this sweet Randy Johnson ball from his 300 Win game at $995 and I got a Best Offer for $985 which I accepted and he paid for already and then I got the following note: Thank you for making this historic baseball available at such a reasonable asking price!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Randy-Johnson-Autod-Game-Used-300-Win-ball-6-4-09-MLB_W0QQitemZ200426330633QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item2eaa571a09

ahuff
01-11-2010, 12:34 PM
I know that this post is probably just to vent frustration...I so want to do that often. However, its a tough call. I think most people on this forum have legitimate prices on their GU stuff listed on the bay. However, there are a few people on ebay (that I don't think are forum members) that have HUGE prices noted on their items. A few come to mind, but I am not going to call them out.

Its odd, but rarely do I put offers in on items that have a "Make an Offer" option. Mainly because I don't want the sellers to think exactly this type of thing.

However, I must say that I have used the option twice that I can think of. Once on a 1952 Topps card, that I won for 50-75% off their asking price - if I recall correctly. This simply brought the price down to where other similar items were selling. The second was most recently on a GU jersey this weekend. I got it for 50% off of the listed price. I think I might have overpaid, but it was worth it to me. It is the first example of this jersey that I have seen on the market, ever!!! I'm sure the seller possibly thought they sold it too cheap. My thought was that this was certainly not a superstar player, and commons were selling in the $75-125 range. So I paid more than a common, but certainly less than a superstar.

suicide_squeeze
01-11-2010, 12:43 PM
Jeff,

I don't have a good story for you on this particular ebay subject, as I list probably 99% of the items I sell on ebay under the auction format, starting at a penny. They are usually items that hold their own as far as value so they usually always reach the price I paid for them. But I don't sell very often anyways.

I would like to know if your Puckett bat is still listed? I'd love to see it. I was a huge Kirby fan.

Thanks, Steve P.S. Have I mentioned lately that I hate ebay? ;)

allstarsplus
01-11-2010, 12:53 PM
P.S. Have I mentioned lately that I hate ebay? ;)

Come on Steve, don't be a hater! LOL Where else can you find HR baseballs like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alex-Rodriguez-Signed-Home-Run-341-Baseball-PSA-DNA_W0QQitemZ300371148707QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item45ef83ffa3

allstarsplus
01-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Come on Steve, don't be a hater! LOL Where else can you find HR baseballs like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alex-Rodriguez-Signed-Home-Run-341-Baseball-PSA-DNA_W0QQitemZ300371148707QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item45ef83ffa3

This is an inside joke because we don't believe that was the actual HR baseball for which the price is ridiculous but you can make a BEST OFFER! The hologram says:

Hologram number MR250461 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under BALLS.
Session Product Description: GAME USED BALLS
Game: 9/14/03

Session Name: OAKLAND ATHLETICS @ TEXAS RANGERS
Session Date: September 14, 2003
Autographer:
Authenticator: AUTHENTICATORS, INC.
Additional Information: GAME USED BASEBALLS, ATHLETICS VS. RANGERS

As most of you know, Steve and I collect HR baseballs and when I originally saw this that it was a HR ball that was MLB hologram'd and inscribed it appeared to be the real deal based on the inscription. Then you do a little bit of research to find it was "used" in that HR game.

Every once in a while you find some real gems on eBay. On those items, you have to be quick!

suave1477
01-11-2010, 01:09 PM
This is an inside joke because we don't believe that was the actual HR baseball for which the price is ridiculous but you can make a BEST OFFER! The hologram says:

Hologram number MR250461 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under BALLS.
Session Product Description: GAME USED BALLS
Game: 9/14/03

Session Name: OAKLAND ATHLETICS @ TEXAS RANGERS
Session Date: September 14, 2003
Autographer:
Authenticator: AUTHENTICATORS, INC.
Additional Information: GAME USED BASEBALLS, ATHLETICS VS. RANGERS

As most of you know, Steve and I collect HR baseballs and when I originally saw this that it was a HR ball that was MLB hologram'd and inscribed it appeared to be the real deal based on the inscription. Then you do a little bit of research to find it was "used" in that HR game.

Every once in a while you find some real gems on eBay. On those items, you have to be quick!

Andrew this ball we have discussed on this forum before. I am 99.9% positive this is the same ball.

This was one of the ESM balls from that game but not the actual ball.

I remember we had a whole thread on it and I even spoke with the seller at the time (not sure if it was the same seller) but the seller of the time I posted there responses.

allstarsplus
01-11-2010, 01:19 PM
Andrew this ball we have discussed on this forum before. I am 99.9% positive this is the same ball.

This was one of the ESM balls from that game but not the actual ball.

I remember we had a whole thread on it and I even spoke with the seller at the time (not sure if it was the same seller) but the seller of the time I posted there responses.

I know it has. I was giving Steve a friendly kick in the butt on the grand virtues of eBay. We had discussed that baseball before. Its amazing it is still up on eBay and some unsuspecting person hadn't bought it w/ the Best Offer.

Didn't want to take Jeff's discussion too far off base. Just was trying to have a good laugh with my buddy Steve.

Astros7
01-11-2010, 01:31 PM
I had something listed once at around the market value ($150 or so)...someone offered me $5 and since I had forgot to set up the auto decline I simply modified my listing to have a price of $1999.99 and countered with $1998.99. Then reset the price. I know this was a waste of time, but at the time I felt it needed to be done. Are these people serious?

suicide_squeeze
01-11-2010, 01:58 PM
I know it has. I was giving Steve a friendly kick in the butt on the grand virtues of eBay. We had discussed that baseball before. Its amazing it is still up on eBay and some unsuspecting person hadn't bought it w/ the Best Offer.

Didn't want to take Jeff's discussion too far off base. Just was trying to have a good laugh with my buddy Steve.

:D Andrew, what can I say? Couldn't have posted a more blatant example of what it's all about than this auction.

Ebay is the fraudulent seller's playground. You've got to be smarter than the "Buy it Now" button on the screen. Unfortunately it takes away from all of the decent guys who try to do it right. But that life.

This guy selling the ball is a bit seasoned, however. Notice how he states nowhere that this ball is the "actual home run hit by Alex Rodriguez" for career #341. He throws in some garbage mumbo-jumbo like "historic" and other nonsense to throw off a potential bidder, with the intent, IMO, of making someone mistake this ball for one of his actual home run balls. That crapola wouldn't fly in a major sports auction for too long.....someone would call or email the auction house and demand they fix the listing. Ebay doesn't police their auctions, and since this guy isn't actually claiming in words that this is THE home run ball......there really isn't any infraction.

And that's why I always throw my little "Did I mention lately that I hate ebay" crack in. I'm not into being a hater......I just can't find an alternative....LOL

Thanks for the laugh Andrew!!!

frikativ54
01-11-2010, 02:03 PM
I'm not into being a hater......I just can't find an alternative....LOL

You crack me up, Steve. :p

legaleagle92481
01-11-2010, 02:20 PM
Alot of people on Ebay are bargain hunters who want to get items as cheap as possible and then relist them themselves to try to make a profit. To me it is disrespectful to the seller and wastes everyone's time. I don't even bother responding because if someone wants to insult me by starting off with a low ball offer in the hope that I am some chump who can be duped into selling the item cheap then I have no desire to deal with that person. When I make an offer I always try to make sure it is fair to both parties and I expect the same from others.

otismalibu
01-11-2010, 02:29 PM
Alot of people on Ebay are bargain hunters who want to get items as cheap as possible and then relist them themselves to try to make a profit.

The thing to do would be to use eBay to get it cheap, then come here and post it in the Pickups section and say it's now the centerpiece of your collection. That seems to be a popular way to bypass the $500 limit in the Collector To Collector Classifieds and avoid eBay selling fees.

Birdbats
01-11-2010, 02:34 PM
Jeff,

I don't have a good story for you on this particular ebay subject, as I list probably 99% of the items I sell on ebay under the auction format, starting at a penny. They are usually items that hold their own as far as value so they usually always reach the price I paid for them. But I don't sell very often anyways.

I would like to know if your Puckett bat is still listed? I'd love to see it. I was a huge Kirby fan.

Thanks, Steve P.S. Have I mentioned lately that I hate ebay? ;)

Yep, it's still listed. Sure didn't sell it for $200. :)

I rarely use BIN, Best Offer or a reserve. I simply list at the lowest price I'd accept. That price typically is below market value and often less than I have into the item. I guess that's why I feel insulted when someone offers a price offline that's a fraction of what an item is worth. It's not like I'm asking $2,495 for a bat that's worth $495.

cigarman44
01-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Ive blocked a few bidders in the past. If I have a bat or something listed for $150-200 and get a 5 dollar offer, that is the last offer they ever make on one of my items :D

ivo610
01-11-2010, 08:23 PM
I think its just as bad when a seller tries to sell something that is worth 1/100th of what they are asking. No I do not want to pay $4,000 for something that sells for $200 on Ebay. Example below.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2006-Tom-Brady-Game-Issued-Pro-Bowl-Jersey-MUSEUM-PIECE_W0QQitemZ190364279951QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item2c5298648f#ht_500wt_988

tjm5711
01-11-2010, 08:28 PM
I think its just as bad when a seller tries to sell something that is worth 1/100th of what they are asking. No I do not want to pay $4,000 for something that sells for $200 on Ebay. Example below.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2006-Tom-Brady-Game-Issued-Pro-Bowl-Jersey-MUSEUM-PIECE_W0QQitemZ190364279951QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item2c5298648f#ht_500wt_988

I see what you mean. 4K for a jersey Brady never even wore? Wow, that's ridiculous !

frankneck
01-11-2010, 09:59 PM
JO sports was selling a JaMarcus Russell Raiders jersey on ebay for like $2,000 and even though he's a huge bust I collect LSU stuff so I made an offer of like $200 or $300 but got an auto decline. I didn't think it was an insulting offer, that's what I would pay for it.

tjm5711
01-11-2010, 10:15 PM
JO sports was selling a JaMarcus Russell Raiders jersey on ebay for like $2,000 and even though he's a huge bust I collect LSU stuff so I made an offer of like $200 or $300 but got an auto decline. I didn't think it was an insulting offer, that's what I would pay for it.

I meant to reference this post below.

jetersbatboy
01-12-2010, 12:00 AM
I don't know why somebody would be insulted if you make a low offer. Like you said, that's what it's worth to you."

I have never had a that's what it's worth to me, so that's what I'd pay. But I have had that all I have, so that all I could offer!!!:eek:

tjm5711
01-12-2010, 12:07 AM
I have never had a that's what it's worth to me, so that's what I'd pay. But I have had that all I have, so that all I could offer!!!:eek:

As a seller, you never may know the real reason a buyer is low-balling you. They may be cheap,think that's all the item is worth, that might be all dough they have, who knows. That's why a simple,"No Thank you" is appropriate. I just don't get why a seller may get offended by a low offer to the point of belligerence. But some do on occasion.

kudu
01-12-2010, 01:43 AM
I am selling a gameworn minor league hockey jersey on Ebay right now. Today I received a note from this guy that offered me $150 for it a couple days ago and I denied it. In his message to me, he claims to be the president of the minor league teams booster club and says that there is no way my jersey will sell for more than $150 because I have relisted it 3 times. Funny thing is, an hour later after his message, someone offered me almost twice what he offered me.

cliffjmp33
09-06-2012, 12:11 AM
Bumping this topic up just vent before I go to bed.

Not necessarily a ridiculous offer, but ridiculous sour grapes response after.

Long story short, I sold an item that I strongly liked, but had to move for some other reasons. Got an offer, kinda low, so I counter with message to let me know what you're thinking and I'm here anytime. This is 2 days before the auction ends. No response back, in meantime another person contacts me. Me and the other person hammer out the details and that person offers and I except (with an hour to go and no response from the first person). I'm happy with what I got for it.

So now a day after the item ended, the person who I originally counter offered and never heard back from contacts me telling me I should have let him know that I was selling the jersey to someone else at that price and he would have beat that price and ends with a "wish I could say thanks."

1) I did contact you! You just let that "contact" sit for two days without responding!
2) I was open to negotiating. My counter offer was just that, a counter offer. I had the common sense to add a note saying so. I was anticipating you'd respond back. You didn't.
3) My goal was to sell an item. I did and I'm happy.
4) Sending a note after the fact because you didn't win/buy an item is a poor showing, especially when the ball was in your court.
5) Venting and ranting on-and-on about this is just as poor behavior, so my apologies to anyone who reads this for stealing a minute of your life. I needed to vent and this has actually helped. I promise to not be a useless, complaining twit from here out.

godwulf
09-06-2012, 09:51 AM
Not eBay-related, but along the same lines...

I was contacted a couple of weeks ago by someone from whom I'd bought GU bats last Spring. Our original contact was through this board. At the time, I paid $420 cash for eight bats, because I really wanted them (obviously) and had the money to spend.

The seller had some more bats, but declined to state firm prices. These were all prospects' bats, by the way, and from guys all of whom I already had at least one bat from. He asked me to make an offer, and I did - $25 each, which is actually a little more than I've been getting comparable bats for from other sources lately. No response. So I emailed again, saying that I hoped I hadn't offended him with my "lowball" offer, but explaining, once again, that these were not bats I needed desperately for my collection, but would like to own, and 25 each was what they were worth to me and in keeping with my current money situation. As I say, that was a couple of weeks ago, and I haven't heard back.

A simple, brief "Sorry, I can't let them go for that" would be nice, and I would totally understand.

slab0meat
09-06-2012, 09:57 AM
Check the Classified section, vintage Phillies sale, and see why I'm a little ticked off.

No contact info, so I post that, and give my email and ask for pics. The reply is for ME to then email him with any inquiries? Then they get sold? Wasn't my inquiry in my ORIGINAL post with my email address??????

No?

jake33
09-06-2012, 12:16 PM
I usually dislike the buy it now or make an offer.

Let me say this about the whole offering and getting offers thing.
In my real job, my company has me in charge of selling our left over inventory to closeout companies. I get around 10 calls/emails a week from closeout companies. They all have the thought process that becuase we are selling old inventory their mindset is that maybe we are in a financial hardship, which is not true. However, the person/company making the offer doesn't know that, so almost every day i get offers at 30 cents on the dollar for a top quality product that IS NOT a factory second. They will make 10-20 of these offers to various companies each day, hoping 2-3 offers go through. They play the percentages and that is how they survive.

Now as for game used, when I see someone offer an item with a buy it now or best offer on an item that is at market value already, I will likely low ball them. I would say 2 out of 20 offers will go through, that is fine with me. By doing that method, it preys on taking advantage of someone in a bad financial state, which I am indifferent about at best.
So from the buyer's point of it makes sense, while at the same time often pisses off the seller. I've been on both sides of the table, not always pleasant.

Also, as a lot fo us know, we in the industry may try to get an item from a seller who isn't that knowledgeable of the items value. Are you guilty of ever doing this? I know I am. Back in 1999 when iw as in college, I bought a game used Saints jersey from a person at my school where the Saints used to practice. It was a O-Lineman's pounded game used jersey, not a big name player. The person selling it offered it to me for $30, I talked him down to $20, only knowing I'd flip it for $100. That is kind of a jackass move that I did. I don't really regret it, but doesn't take away from that fact it wasn't a great thing to do, in my opinion.

Now as a buyer I hate the "High-Low" approach. Mark up a $250 jersey up to $995 in hopes of selling for around $300, i.e. ZANEBATS selling approach. Just like the closeout buyer above, that approach preys on the buyer who maybe went to high school with that player or is from their hometown, etc.... factors that artifically raise the value of an item to a specific buyer. Those buyers aren't price shoppers, they value authenticity and quality more. From a frequent game used buyers point of view, it is a joke. Give me a price to work with, not this hidden mark up to mark down crap.

rufusandherschel
09-06-2012, 02:30 PM
Now as a buyer I hate the "High-Low" approach. Mark up a $250 jersey up to $995 in hopes of selling for around $300, i.e. ZANEBATS selling approach. Just like the closeout buyer above, that approach preys on the buyer who maybe went to high school with that player or is from their hometown, etc.... factors that artifically raise the value of an item to a specific buyer. Those buyers aren't price shoppers, they value authenticity and quality more. From a frequent game used buyers point of view, it is a joke. Give me a price to work with, not this hidden mark up to mark down crap.[/quote]

Amen ! ! !

eisenreich8
09-06-2012, 06:35 PM
Not my most outrageous offer, or message, but very recent, from yesterday. I have in my eBay store several MiLB jerseys that I paid over $100 apiece for most of them, and am losing money on each one. The one I am referencing is a beautiful Trenton Thunder road gray Red Sox jersey from a dozen years ago. Here is the email I got:

I was wondering if the price on this jersey is solid or would you accept less than $100? I'm not a baseball fan and I don't care about the thunder, red sox, or that this was game worn. I'm just from Trenton and like the fact that it says Trenton on it... but the price is steep for a used shirt.

(bolded by me).

gingi79
09-06-2012, 11:20 PM
Considering the fact that eBay is 90% knockoffs and fakes, I don't offer anything close to market value for anything on there. Sure, a couple of sellers have blocked me from bidding, I'd be upset if they ever had anything close to unique and not the usual everyday schlock.

Zanebats had a 50% off sale one day and I found an item and paid.....a very fair price. Mind you I stopped sending them offers when they declined my numerous offers and then sold 2 of them for considerably less. The jersey in question that I did buy was 40% less than I offered.

As a buyer, everything on eBay is overpriced. As a seller, there are no buyers willing to pay market value. Hence, either it's a steal on an item I really want or I stopped buying all together.

godwulf
09-07-2012, 01:28 PM
... but the price is steep for a used shirt.

(bolded by me).

That's pretty funny. Of course, when the Seller thinks it's just "a used shirt", it can lead to a real bargain. I picked up a very nice GU jersey a while back for $34.95 'cause the Seller had it listed in "Used Clothing", thinking that's all it was.

jake33
09-07-2012, 01:59 PM
talking about a "used" shirt brigns up a good point.

With being in game used collecting, we value something most of the regular population doesn't value - namely a worn item, making it a true piece of memorabilia.

But we also do this within our niche in game used. I recently bought a lineup card for $30 - just because I was at the game. Normally, I wouldn't value it, and not that game was any more hisotric than any other game and I wouldn't have touch it otherwise.

Even look at game used items that are not within your collections' scope. For just my OWN collection and not re-selling, I wouldn't touch a Derek Jeter game used authenticated yankees jersey for even $650 and as most of us know it would be a steal at that price. I just don't have a lot of value for it due to the items I collect.

flota89
09-07-2012, 05:27 PM
Count me in the camp that believes the problem lies with both sellers and buyers.

I've been given a rude remarks for simply offering market value. It's not my fault the seller has his bat for 3x the average paid price.

On the other hand, I've listed items for slightly above market value (with the hope of just getting the market value) and have fielded offers of about 15-25% of my asking price. I don't get too upset. I just decline it and move on.

I do think there is a lot of oversensitivity surrounding those on eBay. If you don't like an offer, just don't accept it. No need to get insulted.

-Tyler

cohibasmoker
09-09-2012, 07:00 AM
I never have nor will I ever understand the term "low-ball" offer. Just because someone makes an offer on an item that some would consider a low-ball offer, there are too many factors at play to try and determine why a person makes a offer they do. With the sports memorabilia market changing daily along and current economic conditions, the market is in a constant state of flux so it is understandable why folks make offers they do.

I start my auctions with the minimum price I will accept for an item. If it doesn't sell, I'll routinely get offers after the auction ends that I always consider. If I don't like the offer, I'll just send back a polite, "I appreciate the generous offer - but I'll pass".

Finally, if an item sells, so be it. If it doesn't sell, I really don't care because I can keep it and continue to enjoy it.

Just my opinion,

Jim

jppopma
09-11-2012, 05:10 PM
Often my offers will be determined by what I have received other similar jerseys for, regardless of how ridiculous the asking price is.

With as many bad jerseys as are out there, I will admit that there are some times when I make "lowball" offers. That is to cover my butt in the event that the jerseys has some issues.

Another time I will do a lowball offer is if I am only slightly interested in the item. One of those, I'd take it if only it was $xx type jerseys.

earlywynnfan
09-11-2012, 05:18 PM
Can I bring up the flip side of this?

There's a DVD I'd like to buy, but since I'm so cheap, I'm waiting for a deal. I can buy it new from many sellers for $12-15 (and free shipping) right this very moment. But last week, someone listed one in auction format starting at a buck, so I bid. With under 24 hours to go, it's almost at $16 with $3 shipping. WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH PEOPLE?? This isn't the first time I've watched this happen.

Ken

yanks12025
09-11-2012, 05:23 PM
Do you guys think someone offering $250 for a bat worth $800-1,000 is a blatantly low ball offer?

jppopma
09-11-2012, 05:28 PM
Can I bring up the flip side of this?

There's a DVD I'd like to buy, but since I'm so cheap, I'm waiting for a deal. I can buy it new from many sellers for $12-15 (and free shipping) right this very moment. But last week, someone listed one in auction format starting at a buck, so I bid. With under 24 hours to go, it's almost at $16 with $3 shipping. WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH PEOPLE?? This isn't the first time I've watched this happen.

Ken

Sometimes people get caught up in the bidding and forget everything else. The power of auctions!

Mulligans
09-11-2012, 07:43 PM
Do you guys think someone offering $250 for a bat worth $800-1,000 is a blatantly low ball offer?

I don't think it's low ball....Many times what we consider "fair market" is our own opinion and is rarely achieved at major auction houses or on ebay. The fair market value of sports memorabilia is very volatile and can have huge swings at any given time......I have seen this big time with football jerseys.

I could buy a Jersey on NFL auctions on a Monday for $1200 and have troubles getting $500 3 days later??

sox83cubs84
09-11-2012, 07:45 PM
I set up at a show in Kansas City about 12 years ago, and a local businessman with an extensive collection stopped by my table. My father did the KC shows on my behalf a couple of times, and this guy would spend hundreds of dollars with my dad (a fellow senior citizen at the time). He'd come talk to me all the time, was friendly, but never spent a cent with me personally. I had a bat of some common ex-Yankee I was asking $8 for, and he walked away. When a show assistant asked me if I wanted to place any items in the auction coming up later, I gave them the same bat. The old guy got so caught up in bidding (assisted, I believe, by some local who knew who he was, knew he had beaucoup bucks and was bidding him up just to toy with him...NOT a friend nor plant of mine), and the bat he wouldn't give me $8 for at my table he paid $45 for at the auction!:eek: :D Go figure.

Dave Miedema

trsent
09-12-2012, 04:34 AM
I assume anyone who uses the eBay Make-An-Offer button sets a decline price for what they will not accept. For instance, if you are asking an opening price of $800.00 for an item, and maybe you'll take $500.00 for it, put in an auto-decline of $400.00 so all lower offers are automatically declined and you are not even notified of them.

When you look at the offer history, don't take the moron who offered $10.00 for your item personally - There are children on eBay also who abuse the system. It is not really a big deal - Low offers are part of the world's largest marketplace. Move on and don't worry about it.

Use the auto-decline for truly low ball offers then if any offer comes in and you want a higher price, counter-offer them and see if you get what you want. The button isn't great, but if you don't take stupid offers personally, it doesn't really matter.

What annoys me as a seller on eBay is when I have an item listed for $9.99 and someone emails me and offers me $9.00 for it. I do not have a Make-An-Offer button on the listing because it is $9.99 - I'm not looking to take offers of a dollar less, I offer free shipping domestically and a $9.00 sale isn't going to make my day.

Now, if the same guy comes to me and offers $9.00 each for five $9.99 items, they have a better chance of me working with them, but this never happens.

godwulf
09-12-2012, 10:36 PM
Many times what we consider "fair market" is our own opinion and is rarely achieved at major auction houses or on ebay.

Agree, of course. Fair market value isn't what the Seller hopes he'll get for it, nor is it what he saw one priced at several years ago, nor even what a similar item might have actually sold for - exactly once. If people all around you are buying and selling items very similar to the one you're trying to sell for a fraction of what you're asking, maybe you should reconsider whether you really want to part with the thing, if it's worth that much to you...and apparently only you.

I used to collect pre-'60s police shooting competition medals, and still pick one up occasionally. A few months ago, an eBay seller had some interesting ones listed, at $60 each. I watched them get relisted a couple of times, then sent the seller a message referencing recent auctions for similar medals I'd won for $10-$15, and asked if he had plans to lower his beginning bid prices any time soon. Zero response, and he's probably continuing to relist the things every 7-10 days, as we speak.

Dewey2007
09-23-2012, 11:31 PM
Not an offer but ridiculous nonetheless. I had someone message me about a jersey I have listed for sale and ask if I'd consider removing the patch on it and selling that separately. WTF??

Shipp_96
09-24-2012, 01:44 AM
I have been selling alot recently on there to buy other items. Some of the emails I have gotten are:

"Even though you bought that helmet directly from the school, and they gave you a COA saying it as game worn, how can you guarantee it's "game worn"?"

"Do you have a COA and what is the cost to ship to Denmark?"
-my listing said 3x (including the title) COA from the team INCLUDED, and I stated 2x I only ship to the USA. Needless to say I did not respond to that one.

I wanted to share these to show it's not just the offers that are absurd. Oh yeah, and I always get someone off the bat that offers me 1/3 of what I am asking before the auction is an hour old.

coxfan
09-24-2012, 06:41 AM
There are different sides to this question, as other posters have noted. Once at a show, I saw two rare baseball books priced at $160 for the pair. I said I didn't want to pay that much and started to walk off without making an offer. The seller suddenly reduced the price to $70, which I paid. I found marginal notes indicating he had paid $35 total for them.

As long as there are some sellers ( like the one I described) who initially price much higher than they're actually willing to accept, there will be buyers who will try lower offers. They don't always mean to be insulting or frivolous.