PDA

View Full Version : Where are ARod prices headed?

joelsabi
01-09-2010, 03:07 AM
This has been quite confusing for me.

Just looking at the current Beckett Magazine, ARod's 1994 SP Rookie Card is one of the top 3 hottest baseball cards. Also it seems that ARod items are selling for a lot more since the Yankees won the World Series.

Do you think collectors have put ARod's transgressions aside? Is this a short term adjustment based on demand by Yankee collectors? This seem like such an anomaly for someone who has been busted for steroid usage. What are collectors thinking? Does championship(s) make everything bad go away? Has any other player associated with steroids had a rebound on the prices of their collectibles.

Any thought(s) on the dynamics/factors of ARod's valuation would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

legaleagle92481
01-09-2010, 11:55 AM
I think prices bottomed out last spring and will continue to rise now. Arod is the only superstar player busted in his prime and hence had a chance to make people forget about his transgressions. Clemens and Big Mac were busted post career. Manny Ramirez was in his late 30s. Palermiro was probably in his last season anyway when he got busted. The Yankees are built to win at least one probably more champisionships during ARod's career and last year he arguably should have been MVP. Yes he did not have the best numbers but the Yanks before and after he came back were two different teams. He also will probably get well over 3,000 hits and be the home run king and first man to hit 800 homers. It also helps that he admitted what he did and apologized, yes he was caught red handed by Selena Roberts but so were alot of other guys who denied everything, wouldn't talk about the past or filed phony lawsuits against their accusers.

suave1477
01-09-2010, 03:09 PM
I think prices bottomed out last spring and will continue to rise now. Arod is the only superstar player busted in his prime and hence had a chance to make people forget about his transgressions. Clemens and Big Mac were busted post career. Manny Ramirez was in his late 30s. Palermiro was probably in his last season anyway when he got busted. The Yankees are built to win at least one probably more champisionships during ARod's career and last year he arguably should have been MVP. Yes he did not have the best numbers but the Yanks before and after he came back were two different teams. He also will probably get well over 3,000 hits and be the home run king and first man to hit 800 homers. It also helps that he admitted what he did and apologized, yes he was caught red handed by Selena Roberts but so were alot of other guys who denied everything, wouldn't talk about the past or filed phony lawsuits against their accusers.

Legaleagle said it best.

But to add it it and what Legal says is that the most important thing, ARod has time on his side. Meaning he has a lot of time to go by and people brush it off and forget. So as he mentioned yes his prices tanked in the spring but will only bounce back up at some time afterwards. Even if AROD didn't do that great in the World Series still time would be on his side and people would forget or not even care anymore and eventually his prices/values would rise again anyway.

suave1477
01-09-2010, 03:12 PM
You also asked if there was any other players...... Jason Giambi. His valued tanked for a short moment about the roids but he gave a vague public apology and everyone brushed off what he did or forgot and his value rose again. Now I am sure his prices have tanked again no longer being with the Yankees and now being apart of 2 clubs afterwards in a short period of time with pretty much his career ending at this point.

NYCrulesU
01-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Not to get off topic, and yes I am a Palmeiro supporter. While I genuinely like to see Arod, Giambi, Pettitte now McGwire and whoever else bounce back from the steroid scandal era, I would hope that if (big if) Palmeiro would to ever come out of hiding and apologize that he too would be given the same consideration. My personal opinion of Raffy is that he knew he used, he lied about it, got caught and was so ashamed that he just faded off into the shadows. I don't think any of these guys are evil. But if we're going to allow McGwire (who never admitted nor apologized)back into our good graces then we should allow them all back.

Lest we forget that while others have aplogized, there were still scandals and lies abound. Giambi's "intestinal parasite" = dejuicing period. Bonds "foot recovery" =dejuicing period. Arod's "hip surgery" = dejuicing period. Sosa' time off in before his mini comeback = dejuicing period.

Just to make myself crystal clear, in no way am I knocking any of these players. I am simply calling it how I see it and how I see things to actually be. I did't drink kool-aid much as a child, I won't start now. I think we have come a long way in the steroid era, with so much further to go. If I, of all people, can come to a point of forgiveness concerning these players I'm sure anyone can.

joelsabi
01-09-2010, 04:01 PM
Legaleagle said it best.

But to add it it and what Legal says is that the most important thing, ARod has time on his side. Meaning he has a lot of time to go by and people brush it off and forget. So as he mentioned yes his prices tanked in the spring but will only bounce back up at some time afterwards. Even if AROD didn't do that great in the World Series still time would be on his side and people would forget or not even care anymore and eventually his prices/values would rise again anyway.

I agree. I have been reading lots of his posts and enjoying his opinions. leagleeagle is a great addition to the forum.

as usual, thanks for your two cent also suave1477.

so i guess the window for getting bargains are out the door for now.