PDA

View Full Version : Has this ever happened on NFL Auctions?

JasonBanz
01-08-2010, 09:05 PM
I was browsing through NFL auctions a few minutes ago and saw a bunch of alternate orange Dolphins jerseys that arenn't supposed to be listed until Sunday. Has NFL auctions ever posted something 2 days early? I'm excited! I've wanted an orange for my collection and hope one comes at the right price :rolleyes: .

JasonBanz
01-08-2010, 09:06 PM
I was browsing through NFL auctions a few minutes ago and saw a bunch of alternate orange Dolphins jerseys that arenn't supposed to be listed until Sunday. Has NFL auctions ever posted something 2 days early? I'm excited! I've wanted an orange for my collection and hope one comes at the right price :rolleyes: .

Oops! Meant to add a link

http://www.nflauction.nfl.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/User?id=miaNFL&wl=65664914&type=A

indyred
01-08-2010, 10:18 PM
Might just wanted to give them a few days more exposure. Love those Orange Alternates. Nice to see they used them again this year. What game were they worn?

NYCrulesU
01-08-2010, 10:24 PM
Might just wanted to give them a few days more exposure. Love those Orange Alternates. Nice to see they used them again this year. What game were they worn?

10/12/09 vs NYJ

JasonBanz
01-08-2010, 10:53 PM
Yeah, those alternates are awesome! I was excited to see them brought back this year. I'm hoping it's a yearly thing now. My hopes were to add one to my collection. Now I may have my chance!!!:D

Mulligans
01-08-2010, 10:58 PM
Just checked them out...Great Looking Jerseys and plenty to choose from!

I just got my Joey Porter's pink Captains Patch Game worn jersey. It smelled and looked like it came right off the shelf? I looked it up and Porter was inactive for that game??

If it was hanging in his locker you wouldn't consider it game worn would you?

I figure I have 2 options...... I can complain to NFL auctions or throw it on and roll around in my back yard for awhile!

JasonBanz
01-08-2010, 11:05 PM
Yeah he was inactive for that game, and the only other game in October against New Orleans, the green patch was worn. I was at the Buffalo game this year and he was on the sidelines in shorts and a t-shirt! I'd complain if I were you!

LastingsMilledge85
01-08-2010, 11:21 PM
They wear them only for prime time games and this, I believe, was the first one since they last wore them a few years back.

indyred
01-08-2010, 11:27 PM
Just checked them out...Great Looking Jerseys and plenty to choose from!

I just got my Joey Porter's pink Captains Patch Game worn jersey. It smelled and looked like it came right off the shelf? I looked it up and Porter was inactive for that game??

If it was hanging in his locker you wouldn't consider it game worn would you?

I figure I have 2 options...... I can complain to NFL auctions or throw it on and roll around in my back yard for awhile!

You got a link to the jersey listing. So the auction clearly said it was game used? They usually list stuff the right way. What is the psa/dna serial #. What comes up when you punch that serial # in the data base.

If it clearly says it is game used and it is tagged that way being from a game he was inactive. You should return it. So jersey shows no use or hit marks on it. Or could it have been worn in previous game.

legaleagle92481
01-09-2010, 12:40 AM
There was a Porter jersey that was clearly marked as game issued sold on there recently. Also the one in the auction that ended Tuesday sold way too cheap compared to prior sales (it even sold for a few hundred less than the one marked game issued) so if that is the one you are referring to I am not surprised. As DCGreg taught us on the Jamal Lewis thread you have to do your homework even if the jersey is from NFL auctions you can try getting them to let you return it but good luck as I doubt they will take it back as they are not keeping the money you paid as it goes to charity and the auctions are clear that the items are sold as is.

ivo610
01-09-2010, 01:29 PM
None of those jerseys look used. Ok there are washed for sure, but I cant spot a single rip or repair on any of them. hmmm

As for listing them early I think that NFL auctions lets teams post items to the site. Which would explain the Browns testing this week. The ones with the NFL logo, the HOF logo, and the PINK logo are posted by NFL auctions people. At least thats what I have always assumed.

Mulligans
01-11-2010, 12:48 PM
Regarding the Porter Pink Captains patch Jersey...PSA/DNA lists it as Game used and signed.

I paid $800 for it.

NFL has fully apologized for the mixup and will refund my $$ as they stated that it is probably really "Game Issued" and should have been documented as such.

Here is the dilemma.....Should I return it or keep it as a game issued, but authenticated as game used and signed? Is $800 too much for game issued and signed porter jersey?

Any thoughts?

JasonBanz
01-11-2010, 01:17 PM
I would try to ask them for a partial refund and keep it. Even though it is only game issued it has a rare pink captains patch on it. I don't know if they would do that but its worth a shot!

jhunt28
01-11-2010, 02:04 PM
None of those jerseys look used. Ok there are washed for sure, but I cant spot a single rip or repair on any of them. hmmm

As for listing them early I think that NFL auctions lets teams post items to the site. Which would explain the Browns testing this week. The ones with the NFL logo, the HOF logo, and the PINK logo are posted by NFL auctions people. At least thats what I have always assumed.

You're right, I've looked at every one in detail. Obviously the Dolphins play on natural grass, and it was a very hot night during that game. I went, and was sweating like a mad man. These jerseys must have been washed, but the Dolphins must have the best detergent in the NFL. I have plenty of jerseys that have been washed, but still have facemask paint marks all over them. Even from jerseys worn for 1 game, you'd think the O-line and D-line would have some use. This Ferguson jersey is the only one where I can spot possible use, on the #9 on the right shoulder. But this could just be a loose thread? I'd be upset paying big money for a game issued jersey.

JasonBanz
01-11-2010, 03:55 PM
I would be willing to bet they were washed, but I have also noticed too, use can be hard to see with just a picture. Certainly not issued, heres the description.

DOLPHINS JASON FERGUSON SIGNED GAME WORN ALTERNATE JERSEY. Worn Oct 12, 2009 against the NY Jets. Certificate of authenticity provided by the Dolphins

ivo610
01-11-2010, 04:29 PM
Im glad i am not a fin fan because I would have a very hard time deciding if I wanted to take a chance and buy one or two of those jerseys. And that photo with the 9, looks like a piece of thread to me, but what can you tell from the pics to begin with?

As far as NFL auctions admitting the mistake, why is everyone so forgiving? Because they dont do it for profit? If this was any other company they would be getting ripped apart on here.

JasonBanz
01-11-2010, 05:34 PM
Im glad i am not a fin fan because I would have a very hard time deciding if I wanted to take a chance and buy one or two of those jerseys. And that photo with the 9, looks like a piece of thread to me, but what can you tell from the pics to begin with?

As far as NFL auctions admitting the mistake, why is everyone so forgiving? Because they dont do it for profit? If this was any other company they would be getting ripped apart on here.

Too me, I just noticed hit marks on the right shoulder. But without seeing the jersey, you really can't judge it. I noticed that with a few of the jerseys I have. I see pictures and then receive it in the mail.

As far as being forgiving, it could be just communication error on ones part. If it keeps happening, then I wouldn't be so forgiving.

I honestly don't think the Dolphins would try and rip any one off. I'm sure they are washed though.

legaleagle92481
01-12-2010, 01:09 AM
I personally am no longer bidding on items from NFL auctions. There are too many mixups. The Porter, the Jamal Lewis and now possibly these Deolphins jerseys. I am disturbed by the post by the Porter jersey buyer saying the PSA sticker number comes up in the database as game used when it is not. What is to stop him from adding dirt, etc. to the jersey to make it look game used and selling it for a few hundred more than he payed for it to some unsuspecting collector who relies on the database and does not conduct outside research. I don't want to spend my time photomatching and checking box scores, injury reports, game notes, etc. to ascertain when a uniform is from and whether it is possible for a particular player to have worn a jersey or not. A jersey that I would be paying a extra for because it is from NFL Auctions. Yes this is for charity rather than profit for the NFL and the teams but it does not excuse it and until they start striving for accurute descriptions and providing better photos and/or descriptions of game use like JO does for example then I simply will not buy.

tjm5711
01-12-2010, 01:49 AM
I personally am no longer bidding on items from NFL auctions. There are too many mixups. The Porter, the Jamal Lewis and now possibly these Deolphins jerseys. I am disturbed by the post by the Porter jersey buyer saying the PSA sticker number comes up in the database as game used when it is not. What is to stop him from adding dirt, etc. to the jersey to make it look game used and selling it for a few hundred more than he payed for it to some unsuspecting collector who relies on the database and does not conduct outside research. I don't want to spend my time photomatching and checking box scores, injury reports, game notes, etc. to ascertain when a uniform is from and whether it is possible for a particular player to have worn a jersey or not. A jersey that I would be paying a extra for because it is from NFL Auctions. Yes this is for charity rather than profit for the NFL and the teams but it does not excuse it and until they start striving for accurute descriptions and providing better photos and/or descriptions of game use like JO does for example then I simply will not buy.

You make very valid points, and it points to the fact that there sometimes is a risk in buying from even the most credible sources. I have heard of and experienced similar confusions with the PSA database. And you are more than fully justified in demanding more with the crazy prices we all pay on NFL Auctions.

JasonBanz
01-12-2010, 07:50 AM

I personally do not see where these Dolphins jerseys would even be in question. I pulled up a random 2 to look at and found use on them. Everyone on here knows that you can't judge a jersey til its in your hands.

legaleagle92481
01-12-2010, 09:50 AM
I personally do not see where these Dolphins jerseys would even be in question. I pulled up a random 2 to look at and found use on them. Everyone on here knows that you can't judge a jersey til its in your hands.

Therein lies the problem after you have paid for it and it has arrived in your home should not be when your able to judge it. Better pictures and/or a description of the signs of game use the jersey evidences should be there to allow you to judge the jersey BEFORE you bid on it. right now it is a crapshoot as to what you will find when you open the box and if you find something questionable you have to go through the hassle of trying to return it and likely having to pay return shipping costs. Mistakes do happen but when they do they and they are alerted to them they must be corrected. When they were questioned about the Jamal Lewis and admitted it was game issued the description should have immediately been changed and all bidders given the option to withdraw their bid. With the Porter jersey the buyer should have been given the option to return it for a game used one (don't tell me the Dolphins don't have another used Porter jersey at their disposal and if not one from next season) and the one that was misdescribed should have immediately been corrected in the database. And they should be more vigilant in finding and correcting mistakes on their own.

All I said about these Dolphins jerseys was that it was POSSIBLE that there were issues because I have looked at the pics on there and I can see where people are saying they cannot see signs of use in alot of the pictures. Don't get me wrong they could be amazing jerseys but from those pictures noone can really tell.

JasonBanz
01-12-2010, 10:05 AM
Therein lies the problem after you have paid for it and it has arrived in your home should not be when your able to judge it. Better pictures and/or a description of the signs of game use the jersey evidences should be there to allow you to judge the jersey BEFORE you bid on it. right now it is a crapshoot as to what you will find when you open the box and if you find something questionable you have to go through the hassle of trying to return it and likely having to pay return shipping costs. Mistakes do happen but when they do they and they are alerted to them they must be corrected. When they were questioned about the Jamal Lewis and admitted it was game issued the description should have immediately been changed and all bidders given the option to withdraw their bid. With the Porter jersey the buyer should have been given the option to return it for a game used one (don't tell me the Dolphins don't have another used Porter jersey at their disposal and if not one from next season) and the one that was misdescribed should have immediately been corrected in the database. And they should be more vigilant in finding and correcting mistakes on their own.

All I said about these Dolphins jerseys was that it was POSSIBLE that there were issues because I have looked at the pics on there and I can see where people are saying they cannot see signs of use in alot of the pictures. Don't get me wrong they could be amazing jerseys but from those pictures noone can really tell.

I can agree that they need to be more vigiant in correcting mistakes. But NFL Auctions is a great asset to the game used community. Especially as a Dolphins collector. The Dolphins organization do not sell their jerseys outside of NFL Auctions. Its very rare to find one outside of NFL auctions. I own alot of no names because they are hard to find. So when I have the funds and I see one, I snag it. Infact last year I started expanding my collection to Dolphins players when they were with other teams. One thing I always wanted in my collection was the orange alternate. Right now its a shame because money is not great right now. I suppose they'll be on ebay soon :rolleyes: .

jhunt28
01-12-2010, 11:31 AM
Just to clear up this Dolphins Orange Jersey issue on NFL Auctions, this is a quote from an email I received from the Dolphins. These are definitely the jerseys worn on the field, the NFL Auction pictures must be a very poor quality, and they are obviously washed...

The team has auctioned the orange authentic game jerseys worn by players in the Dolphins' home game against the New York Jets on October 12, 2009

"This was only the third time in team history that our team wore orange jerseys," said Mike Dee, Dolphins CEO. "The game was an electric night and exciting contest for all of our fans. We are happy that everyone can take a piece of the action home and know that the money raised from this auction will benefit the important causes we serve in the community."

nyjetsfan14
01-12-2010, 10:06 PM
It sure would be nice if the folks writing the descriptions for NFL auction items put forth at least a minimal amount of effort. You're lucky if you get two complete sentences. Much of the confusion, questions, and returns could be eliminated with a little more care in the form of more detailed write ups.

Jason, patience is a virtue. There is no real shortage of these items and eventually they will pop up again. Happy collecting to all.

JasonBanz
01-12-2010, 10:31 PM
Jason, patience is a virtue. There is no real shortage of these items and eventually they will pop up again. Happy collecting to all.

Thanks for the advice!

legaleagle92481
01-12-2010, 10:35 PM
It sure would be nice if the folks writing the descriptions for NFL auction items put forth at least a minimal amount of effort. You're lucky if you get two complete sentences. Much of the confusion, questions, and returns could be eliminated with a little more care in the form of more detailed write ups.

Thats true on the patience thing they are popping up all over Ebay I think it is because people buy them knowing they cant afford them and just want to enjoy them for a bit then they sell them. I have noticed most of them have not been sold above what the seller paid for them.

chaidinar
01-13-2010, 01:04 PM
NFL Auctions has just listed the third set of BCA "game worn" wristbands of Jones-Drew. I do not think it is the same pair re-listed twice, because they are different photos. 1. I cannot find a single photo (getty images, jaguars.com etc.) of MJD wearing wristbands during that game. 2. The Jaguars wore their BCA gear on 10/4/2009 against the Titans, not 10/11/2009 against the Seahawks. 3. It is highly unlikely he wore 6 wristbands. 4. If you look up the PSA/DNA number, it states:
Item: AUTOGRAPH ITEM
Primary Signer: JONES-DREW, MAURICE
Authentication Date: 01/07/2010
Result/Grade: Authentic

Does anyone have any thoughts/opinions, or is this just another NFL Auctions oversight?

http://www.nflauction.nfl.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=112579603&prmenbr=65664914&aunbr=112926313

JasonBanz
01-13-2010, 02:06 PM
One thing I noticed about the BCA games were that players would change gloves and wristbands out. For example, Ronnie Brown would wear the pink gloves and then next series come out in his regular gloves. Same with Ricky Williams. I do have a pink game worn wristband signed by Akin Ayodele. I do know for a fact he did not wear any pink wristbands because 1, I was at the game and have photos, and 2, I have a dvd of the game. By the way it seems, they may have a player sign and game worn item, such as the wristband and place it on the auction as a game worn wristband signed by such and such. When you plug in the PSA DNA number to my wrist bands it pops up signed and game worn wrist band. Primary person: Akin Ayodele. Which to me means that Akin was the primary person on those wristbands but worn by someone else.

One thing that puzzles me is my pink Will Allen gloves. While watching the DVD and I could not find a series that Will Allen wore those gloves. They have staining from game use and smell terrible. They also have the number 25 written on both gloves, which is his number. I e-mailed NFL Auctions about this. I asked them if they could have been from another team, but signed by him. They replied back that they could be from another player, but not a different team. I figured, oh well, they're game worn and signed by Will Allen so I am still happy with them. Your best bet would be to e-mail them about it.