PDA

View Full Version : Picked Up an Aaron Hill Jays - Game Used Rookie Jersey

cjw
01-07-2010, 05:11 PM
Pleased with this one! A 2005, black, alternative, Jays, Aaron Hill gamer. Has Jays set, player number and 2005 year tagging.

Good deal for a 'big name' Jay's player's gamer, let alone a rookie jersey in my estimation. Before I disclose the price, I would be interested in finding out what one might expect to pay for this jersey.

I found a few pics on line of Hill in this style but it may be a stretch to find a match.

Thanks for looking!

sugarpam
01-07-2010, 05:29 PM
What happened to the name on back? Are there signs of its removal? Is it a spring training jersey, because I can't remember in recent history (aside from Flashback Fridays jerseys) a Jays jersey without having the players name on the back.

Would definitely like to pick up a Hill jersey myself one of these days, congrats!

-Pam

ziggy
01-07-2010, 06:01 PM
Missing name on back

Sincityson
01-07-2010, 06:07 PM
The Jays always have the lettering individually stitched on these jerseys, if the name was indeed removed, I would suspect this would be very noticeable. I can't recall them wearing these jerseys in spring training '05 but I might be wrong. In the games I saw they were wearing the pull overs.

josportsco
01-08-2010, 01:53 AM
it is definitely missing the NOB but may still have intrest. email me a price jarrod@josportsco.com

cjw
01-12-2010, 09:14 PM
First off...I am a bonehead!

How could I not notice the missing name? I call myself a Jays fan? Embarrasing.

The seller didn't show am image of the back of the jersey and when I spoke with him, he indicated that it had "Hill" on the back. Came with a COA stating game used, but no evidence that letters were added or removed, so not possible (as this is not a BP style).

It going back to the seller. Thanks for gpoing easy on an old man :)

vballGuy
01-13-2010, 09:44 AM
Very nice pickup. It appears to be a spring training jersey from 2005. The reason is because the "Teammates Forever" patch is present, and I believe these were added to the jerseys in 2005 for alternate, Sunday game jerseys only. However the fact that there is no name on the back indicates that it was a spring training jersey, similar to this one:

http://www.gamewornuniforms.com/catalog/jaysgamejersey2-p-14388.php

If it was worn during the season, it would have a name on the back, like this:

http://jaysshop.stores.truition.com/edealinv/servlet/ExecMacro?nurl=control/StoreItem.vm&ctl_nbr=989&siId=2615682&catParentID=48775&scId=48775&catLevel=1&parentCatName=NEW!%20Game%20Used/Team%20Issued

sugarpam
01-13-2010, 12:52 PM
Very nice pickup. It appears to be a spring training jersey from 2005. The reason is because the "Teammates Forever" patch is present, and I believe these were added to the jerseys in 2005 for alternate, Sunday game jerseys only. However the fact that there is no name on the back indicates that it was a spring training jersey, similar to this one:

http://www.gamewornuniforms.com/catalog/jaysgamejersey2-p-14388.php

If it was worn during the season, it would have a name on the back, like this:

http://jaysshop.stores.truition.com/edealinv/servlet/ExecMacro?nurl=control/StoreItem.vm&ctl_nbr=989&siId=2615682&catParentID=48775&scId=48775&catLevel=1&parentCatName=NEW!%20Game%20Used/Team%20Issued

I don't think it's a spring training jersey as the style of jerseys the Jays use in spring training are not the same as the jerseys they wear during the regular season. In 2005 the Jays wore this style during spring training:

http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll468/pamchops10/Miscellaneous/Picture445.jpg

Also, from experience (though I could be wrong), the Jays tend to reuse their spring training jerseys, and recycle them, so they don't have the tagging in the neck that most regular season jerseys do.

I'm no expert, but I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with this jersey, and hopefully, cjw, you can work something out with the seller if you're not comfortable either. Though I'd love to be proven wrong and learn something more about Jays jerseys along the way :)

-Pam

vballGuy
01-13-2010, 01:22 PM
I too, would like to learn more about these jerseys, hence the reason why I am continuing this discussion. I could have sworn that the Jays wore jerseys like the one that was purchased, with a "Forever Teammates" patch and no name on the back during '05 spring training.

I *think* that these jerseys were home alternate jerseys worn during spring training on Sundays only. This would make sense as I saw a spring training game on Sunday where these jerseys were worn. This would also fit the explanation that Pam gave, indicating that the other jerseys were worn during all other spring training games during the week.

I'd love to hear otherwise though -- its very possible that my memory isn't serving me correctly. The link below also confirms this as these set of jerseys being sold are "game worn", have no name on the back and have the "Forever Teammates" patch. The details for each jersey states that they are "game worn spring training Sunday jerseys".

http://www.gamewornuniforms.com/catalog/jaysgamejersey5-p-14359.php

cjw
01-13-2010, 02:01 PM
Thanks everyone.

The style of jersey I posted is correct for a regular season gamer in every way except for a huge problem - no name. It is a regular season, alt. jersey with scpit tagging in the collar and the Team-mates Foever patch and "Jays" stictched across the full width of the chest.

The spring training used, black jerseys had only the Jays logo on side of the chest, like the one in the the pic posted by Pam above. (this is also corfirmed in the listing description of the spring jerseys linked above "Toronto Blue Jays Logo on the left breast sewn on.".

Coincidencely, the jersey I bought came from the same sell as those shown in the link above. They have correct reg season jerseys for sale, correct spring training jerseys, reg season jerseys with names removed (stitching marks at quite visible even in the small photos, and they also have reg season jerseys with no evidence of name lettering ever having been added, no - almost game ready, I guess?

The jersey is going back to the seller as they have recognized their error (advertised and COA'd as a gamer).

cjw
01-13-2010, 03:37 PM
Ok, now I'm not sure if I am most embarrassed about my lack of jersey sense or my typing ability! Please excuse the chicken scratch in the previous post! :eek:

Sincityson
01-13-2010, 03:50 PM
The "Forever Teammates" patch's are clearly different on the spring training jerseys (they are white/round) as opposed to the regular season '05 patch.

Could it be likely this jersey was a game ready extra that just didn't have the named stitched on?

vballGuy
01-13-2010, 04:21 PM
I stand corrected. You are correct, the patches between the spring training and regular season jerseys are in fact different.

That would be my guess, SinCity. Maybe it was a "spare" jersey, but I suppose spares would not have the number stiched on.

Sincityson
01-13-2010, 04:27 PM
With the Jays, I've never seen one, yet with other teams, I have seen instances for sale where game ready jersey spares only had the number without the name applied yet, as well as the name applied, and not the number. From time to time it happens i guess..

That would be my guess, SinCity. Maybe it was a "spare" jersey, but I suppose spares would not have the number stiched on.