PDA

View Full Version : Had a bat knob marking question

joecoco
01-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Hey guys and happy collecting-

I recently picked up a bat of a Dodgers player and instead of having a number on the knob, it just had the model number written on one end and the letter "R" on the other. Any thoughts about this? Have any of you guys who collect Dodgers bats noticed this at all? Thanks for the read. - Joe

Number9
01-07-2010, 02:43 PM
Joe,
Is it DM's? I have two of his Yankees bats that have the number 11, but ALSO have an 'L' or an 'R' inked on the knob. Never figured out what that meant. My first though was switch-hitter and which bat he likes from each side, but he isnt a switch-hitter. So that is out as a theory.
So then I wonder if he uses different bats for facing a left or a righty, maybe he needs a lighter bat against lefties or something, to make his swing quicker or something. They are the same bat, the one with the R has a weight of 31.5 inked on it. The one with the 'L' has a weight of 31,2 inked on it.

Anyway, so I guess I am saying I don't know for sure what they stand for but throught you would want to know I have seen it on other DM bats.

Mike

Vintagedeputy
01-07-2010, 03:52 PM
I would almost bet that the L and R are for what arm the opposing pitcher throws with. A righty batter may have a harder time seeing the ball from a lefty for example. He may want a lighter bat that he can get around faster.

joecoco
01-07-2010, 04:19 PM
Hey Mike!

How the heck did you guess it was DM's! Just kidding. You are completely correct. I thought it was weird, but your explanation makes sense. I thought it was pretty weird too. Thanks so much for the input, I am glad you have seen the same thing. Thanks a lot and a happy new - Joe

joecoco
01-07-2010, 05:12 PM
sorry, I should not type while busy in the office. I meant to write happy new year and thanks to both of you for the input.

- Cheers- Joe