PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Seller/Payment Help

ahuff
01-07-2010, 04:55 AM
I need some help from fellow members. I was recently contacted by a potential buyer asking if I would accept checks or money orders. Personally, I wouldn't have a problem. However, Ebay's verbage is slightly unclear, but from what I can tell it appears ebay does not allow me to receive such payments. Here are the links that I used to research this.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/checkout-preferences.html

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/accepted-payments-policy.html

The part that is unclear is that it appears to prohibit me from posting such payment methods in my listing. However, does it truly prohibit a buyer from using such payment methods if it is their choice? I would assume it could affect the buyer/seller protection policy, though. Our listings are allowed to say the buyer can pick up the item. Wouldn't most buyers just want to pay for the item in person if they were picking it up?

I just need some of my fellow collector's help. Any help you can provide would be terrific. Thank you.

sammy
01-07-2010, 06:12 AM
I have accepted checks from buyers after the rule change went into effect.

If the buyer wants to pay by check, etc., let them. The only reason fleabay required this change is to make more money off the fees, and thus, take more from the sellers.

You just can not post in your ad that other forms of payment are accepted.

-------------------------------------------

Fleabay states this is for the safety of all involved. Redlight cameras are also for the safety of all involved. ;) ;)

-------------------------------------------

As we use to say when someone was full of .... "It's for the children."

TriplexXxSports
01-07-2010, 07:14 AM
I too have accepted checks and money orders for items that I have listed. I have always told the potential buyers that until the check clears I will leave the listing up. Once I have the money in my bank I just end the listing early. You can do this with no penalty.

Checks take longer to clear so if you can, I suggest pushing for a MO.

5kRunner
01-07-2010, 09:34 AM
I sold some cards a few months ago. One of the buyers was from the town next to where I live. He met me where I work and paid me with cash. I just marked the item as "payment rec'd." I had no problems what so ever.

legaleagle92481
01-07-2010, 09:49 AM
Paypal charges insane fees the other day I sold an item for $240 and the buyer paid by Paypal and Paypal deducted $8 as a fee which is over 3% of the money I was paid, yesterday I sold another item for $375 paypal took over $11 as a fee. So I paid them $20 to transfer $615 to me that is insane and if you sell alot adds up fast and really eats into your profits especially when you consider that in most cases there is a low profit margain on this stuff to begin with. So if you have a buyer willing to pay by any other method go for it as Ebay will never know. I have bought stuff for other people using my account and have had them pay for it using paypal accounts that are not linked to my Ebay account and there has yet to be a problem. Ebay just uses paypal to get an extra 3% hidden fee from sellers and pad their pockets.

flaco1801
01-07-2010, 11:40 AM
i dont think 20.00 is outrageous to collect 615 without any hassle... your dealing with strangers and the 20.00 to paypal is a small price to pay... thats just my opinion..

legaleagle92481
01-07-2010, 12:25 PM
i dont think 20.00 is outrageous to collect 615 without any hassle... your dealing with strangers and the 20.00 to paypal is a small price to pay... thats just my opinion..

A money order would be free to me and at most stores a dollar for the buyer to purchase and just as safe. Until they changed the policy I accepted only money orders and never had a problem.

sox83cubs84
01-07-2010, 02:19 PM
I've sometimes asked the seller if I can pay via MO before bidding. Many are OK with that, but a few are scared stiff that EBay will lock them up in Gitmo if they take payments via any means other than PayPal.

Dave M.
Chicago area

Neely8
01-07-2010, 02:35 PM
A money order would be free to me and at most stores a dollar for the buyer to purchase and just as safe. Until they changed the policy I accepted only money orders and never had a problem.

How is a money order just as safe as paying by paypal? By paying via money order the buyer has no recourse should they encounter a problem with an unscrupulous seller not sending the item. At least with paypal you can file a dispute and if the seller can't prove the item was delivered you will get your money back.

Lokee
01-07-2010, 04:00 PM
I always say i can except it this one time just in case my message through ebay is "Intercepted" by the Ebay police.