PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Cardinals Winter Warm-Up

jabash0331
01-06-2010, 07:18 AM
I just bought my plane tickets, reserved a room, and bought my event pass. Now the hard part...trying to figure out what to take for signatures. I saw on the website that the '85 team is going to be honored. Do you think they will all be there or just the ones on the autograph list? I have never been before and was wondering if there would be other Cardinals around that aren't participating in the autograph events. If so, will they sign? For those of you that have been there in the past, any suggestions for a newbie?

amerks25
01-06-2010, 09:50 AM
I just bought my plane tickets, reserved a room, and bought my event pass. Now the hard part...trying to figure out what to take for signatures. I saw on the website that the '85 team is going to be honored. Do you think they will all be there or just the ones on the autograph list? I have never been before and was wondering if there would be other Cardinals around that aren't participating in the autograph events. If so, will they sign? For those of you that have been there in the past, any suggestions for a newbie?
Its great but it can be a very expensive weekend. Be ready to stand in line for a while getting autographs. Any Cardinal player there will have scheduled autograph time. There is a schedule. Cardinals fans are the best and will wait in line for just about any former Redbird.

Have fun.

Birdbats
01-06-2010, 09:55 AM
It's unusual for old players to roam the Warm Up unless they're scheduled to sign. I know Jack Clark has done it in the past (and graciously signed for many people along the way), but for the most part, the only time you'll see players is when they're sitting at tables signing at their scheduled times (though, in the past, it was possible to catch a few retired players at the hotel bar). BTW, I know several '85 Cardinals will be at the Baseball Writers' Dinner on 1/18, but I haven't heard anything about them being honored at the Warm Up. About the only '80s guys who will be signing likely will be the ones who are there every year -- Cox, Dayley, Ford, Horton, Magrane, Worrell, etc. They usually sign for free, which means their lines will be long.

Birdbats
01-06-2010, 03:49 PM
The initial list of signers has been posted on the team's Web site: http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/stl/fan_forum/warmup_autographs.jsp

While it does say the '85 team will be honored at the WWU, the list of signers includes the same guys who always sign. From that '85 team, there's no Ozzie, no Willie, no Herr, no Pendleton, no Coleman. Of course, they still could be added.

ironmanfan
01-06-2010, 05:09 PM
no Tito Landrum either

jabash0331
01-06-2010, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the responses thus far. I am looking forward to the event. By the way, Coleman is listed as a signer with a TBD date. What other type of events are open to those attending? I am assuming that the BBW dinner is closed to the general public.

Birdbats
01-06-2010, 07:52 PM
Actually, the general public can attend the BBW dinner -- $150 a ticket.

The WWU has two presentations every hour on the hour. They might be the GM talking about moves... the bat boys talking about their jobs... the team photographer talking about what he does... a HOF/museum rep discussing the history of the team uniform, etc. There also are activities on the main stage, which often includes a live radio broadcast featuring player interviews. There are six silent auctions and six live auctions... a memorabilia show... kids' activities and more. You should not be bored.

flota89
01-06-2010, 10:27 PM
I will be at the Winter Warm-Up hopefully getting my Colby Rasmus bat signed, and possibly getting another Rasmus bat signed also. I hope to meet some of you guys there.

jabash0331
01-07-2010, 07:21 AM
I know that I am new here but I would be willing for a meet and greet if anybody is interested in setting something up.

flota89
01-07-2010, 05:02 PM
Do they sell bats at the winter-warm up?

worldchamps
01-07-2010, 07:13 PM
I entered the lotto to try to win a pujols ticket to buy...got the email and was so excited until i read and saw i didnt win..haha

i live in texas and was going to fly in just for the auto...oh well

Any word on if McGwire will do this?

jabash0331
01-07-2010, 08:24 PM
They have posted the autograph pricing and there is no mention of McGwire. I hear that players are added and deleted up until the actual event but I doubt that Big Mac makes an appearance. Actually, as I look at the list for the second time, it has changed since I first saw it earlier today. Holliday was just added to the list with autos going for $100. I am a little disappointed to see Vince Coleman's name not on the list. Maybe it will show up.

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/stl/downloads/y2010/ww_autograph_schedule.pdf

flota89
01-09-2010, 12:05 AM
Do the autograph tickets go on sale tonight at midnight? Also, is there any advantage to getting autograph tickets earlier than later?

jabash0331
01-09-2010, 10:35 AM
Not sure the exact time they went up online but they are there now. I just purchased a few and am contemplating a few others. This will be my first time a the Winter Warm Up and I am trying to control myself just a bit.

Vince Coleman is now listed as signing on Monday from 11am-12pm for $10. His is the only ticket not available on the site. I don't know if that means he has already sold out or they just haven't put them up yet. His name has been listed for awhile as TBD but only recently was he added to the downloadable list.

amerks25
01-09-2010, 10:39 AM
The Cardinals. You gotta love them. 100.00 for a Holliday auto. Its know wonder these players ask for 16,000,000 per season. What a stinking joke.
This is the type of junk that makes me wonder why I like this sport.
If Stan Musial was a player today he what would be making per season?

amerks25
01-09-2010, 10:40 AM
The Cardinals. You gotta love them. 100.00 for a Holliday auto. Its no wonder these players ask for 16,000,000 per season. What a stinking joke.

stlbats
01-09-2010, 10:41 AM
The tickets do have numbers on them, which will determine your line spot. However, its just a matter of how long you will have to wait, you are still guaranteed the autograph. I think I read somewhere that this year the numbers will be first come first served.

Jason

Birdbats
01-09-2010, 11:38 AM
The Cardinals. You gotta love them. 100.00 for a Holliday auto. Its no wonder these players ask for 16,000,000 per season. What a stinking joke.

The WWU is a fund-raiser, not a for-profit venture. That $100 goes to Cardinals Care, which distributes funds and runs programs throughout the community. It does not go to the owners or to Holliday. You might question their pricing strategy, but apparently other fans don't -- he's already sold out, according to a buddy who just tried to buy one of his tickets.

Also keep in mind the WWU will have more than 50 free autograph guests and several players sign for $5-$10.

amerks25
01-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Jeff,
I know its a fund raiser, but the prices are way too high for the normal average, or out of work fan. It costs a ton just to get in the door. I have been to almost every WWU. The first one was the best at Americas Center. Since then they have become increasingly too expensive. Just like everything the Cardinals do. I love them, but at the same time I question how many times they can kill the average fan before Busch Stadium turns into Jacobs Field. The WWU is first class and fun, but still they should be able to give the fans a break. If the Cardinals want to do a fund raiser, why do the fans have to fund it? The people that work it are all volunteers and the private booths are costly. The owners are very wealthy and getting wealthier every season. Let Dewitt Hanser etc fund some of the charities.
By the way, I will be at my normal 35 games next year so I am part of the problem. They know its part of our culture.

R.Mansfield
01-09-2010, 01:33 PM
Well I just picked up tickets for myself and my wife, also some autograph tickets for Jack Clark, who I am very excited to meet. I grew up watching Clark and am a huge fan of his. I picked up his 1987 Silver Slugger award at the last GUU auction.

I have been trying to collect items from the 1987 World Series team and it looks like I should be able to meet several of those players at the event.

This will be my first time at the WWU.

It looks like there will be several of us going to the event here on the forum, maybe some of us will run into each other.

Russell Mansfield
batdna@sbcglobal.net

rj_lucas
01-09-2010, 01:44 PM
Are there restrictions on what Albert will sign at the Winter Warm Up e.g. will he sign game-used items? Does Upper Deck authenticate each signature?

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

stlbats
01-09-2010, 03:52 PM
Are there restrictions on what Albert will sign at the Winter Warm Up e.g. will he sign game-used items? Does Upper Deck authenticate each signature?

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

Pujols will only sign baseballs and photos. No equipment. No Upper Deck or any kind of authentication service is there.

Jason
stlbats@bellsouth.net

stlbats
01-10-2010, 10:35 PM
So who all is going to the Winter Warm Up next weekend, and do you buy any autograph tickets?

Jason

jabash0331
01-11-2010, 07:16 PM
I'll be there.

I bought one ticket each for Jack Clark, Whitey Herzog, Vince Coleman, and Red Schoendienst. I plan on trying to get a few of the free autographs as well.

Just saw that Holliday and Molina were sold out. I'll be interested to see if there are any Pujols tickets remaining after the people who won the drawing have a chance to buy them.

shoremen44
01-15-2010, 02:42 PM
StLbats... could you email me please

R.Mansfield
01-17-2010, 08:36 PM
Well we just wrapped up day two of the Cardinals WWU, it has been a good time so far for us. I have noticed several nice GU items around, including an alarming 1987 Jack Clark Home Jersey for the low sale price of $4000.00. But if you don't like that you can pick up a Bruce Sutter gamer for the same price, four-grand!?!?!?

We did get to meet Jack Clark today, my reason for attending, and he could not have been nicer. He signed several items for us, included inscriptions, took a photo with me and was just great overall, it really made my day.

The crowds are large, the lines are long, the staffing is too small, and it's totally disorganized, but still well worth the pain.

Hope to hear from some others who have attended. I will be back in the morning to wrap it up, with Whitey, Coleman, and a few others with any luck.

Russell Mansfield
batdna@sbcglobal.net

kj33706
01-17-2010, 08:55 PM
i was there like i am every year, got my ray lankford game used bat signed and also got 13 baseballs signed by players i needed in my collection. the 18 inch statue of bob gibson went for 3,900 and i would have loved to had it..................... yes its busy with people but what do you exspect........ over all great time
kj

Garistotle
01-17-2010, 09:02 PM
I attended the Cards WWU both yesterday and today. The crowds were insane but I did pick up a nice GU rookie home jersey of David Freese. Freese appears to be in the running for the 3B job (if he doesn't get another DUI). He was signing for free today so I waited in a looong line to get his sig on the jersey.

Of course, I'll be back tomorrow to cash in my Pujols auto ticket. I've got a great picture of Albert and Stan The Man that I had Stan sign last year. Assuming Albert signs it tomorrow, I'll have a great keepsake on my hands. It will be interesting to see what the Pujols jersey sells for in tomorrow's live auction.

DonTheLegend
01-17-2010, 09:23 PM
Well we just wrapped up day two of the Cardinals WWU, it has been a good time so far for us. I have noticed several nice GU items around, ....

The crowds are large, the lines are long, the staffing is too small, and it's totally disorganized, but still well worth the pain.

this same thing couldve been said for nearly every Winter Warm Up since they started having it.

this is the first year that i havent been in 10 years.

allstarsplus
01-18-2010, 09:27 AM
So, did McGwire ever end up signing?

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100116&content_id=7927634&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

STLHAMMER32
01-18-2010, 11:48 AM
So, did McGwire ever end up signing?

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100116&content_id=7927634&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

He signed autographs for fans briefly after speaking.

hdavid_27
01-18-2010, 07:30 PM
Mcgwire also signed at the stadium for the five or so people who stayed out in the cold and waited for him to finish the B.P. session on Sunday. The new hotel seems a lot smaller than the Millenium and each year it seems the Pujols line gets worse. I saw two large All Star photos that he put no effort into signing, they did not turn out well, and the way the volunteers rushed you through the line, photos of Albert signing your item were nearly impossible. The Autograph he signed on my 2009 All Star Ball was great. Mcgwire also signed pretty nice on our items considering he was standing up when he signed them. They were more like the Steiner Signatures than the short sloppy ballpark version.

allstarsplus
01-18-2010, 07:56 PM
Mcgwire also signed at the stadium for the five or so people who stayed out in the cold and waited for him to finish the B.P. session on Sunday. The new hotel seems a lot smaller than the Millenium and each year it seems the Pujols line gets worse. I saw two large All Star photos that he put no effort into signing, they did not turn out well, and the way the volunteers rushed you through the line, photos of Albert signing your item were nearly impossible. The Autograph he signed on my 2009 All Star Ball was great. Mcgwire also signed pretty nice on our items considering he was standing up when he signed them. They were more like the Steiner Signatures than the short sloppy ballpark version.

Thanks for the hilights and congrats on getting the McGwire sigs!

I wonder what it will be like at stadiums that Big Mac will be at. I hope to get some of my bats auto'd when he is in Washington!

Garistotle
01-18-2010, 08:12 PM
I braved the Pujols line today and was very happy with the outcome. On my way out today, I bid on and won a signed game used Tony LaRussa jersey at the silent auction. Say what you will about TLR but there's no denying he will be in the HOF. All in all, it was a great weekend in STL!

djbrady33
01-18-2010, 08:28 PM
I braved the Pujols line today and was very happy with the outcome. On my way out today, I bid on and won a signed game used Tony LaRussa jersey at the silent auction. Say what you will about TLR but there's no denying he will be in the HOF. All in all, it was a great weekend in STL!

Great signed picture of Albert and Stan. Let me know if you ever want to sell it. I was not able to make it to the Winter Warm-Up, Do you know what some of the Pujols Game Used Hats and Jerseys sold for?

Thanks,
David

Aways looking for Albert Pujols and Stan Musial Game Used and Unique Autographed items.
www.stlouismemorabilia.com (http://www.stlouismemorabilia.com)

Garistotle
01-18-2010, 08:38 PM
While I was in line waiting for Albert's auto, I watched the live auction this afternoon. The Pujols 2009 game used jersey (with All-Star patch and a properly altered hem) sold for just over $5K. I'm pretty sure Matt Holliday's 2009 game used jersey sold for approx. $1200.

sox83cubs84
01-18-2010, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the hilights and congrats on getting the McGwire sigs!

I wonder what it will be like at stadiums that Big Mac will be at. I hope to get some of my bats auto'd when he is in Washington!

If Big Mac is anything like he was at Wrigley Field pre-2002, he is a creature of habit. Back then, before Cubs management barred fans from waiting for autographs by the wall between the bullpens for BP, McGwire ALWAYS had the same routine. If he didn't take BP, he didn't sign. If he DID take pregame swings, either just before or just after he took his turn, he'd start at the edge of the dugout, home plate side. Whomever he signed for first had their pen/Sharpie "borrowed' for his whole time signing. He went from that spot to the edge of the home plate screen, signing for everyone who was in the front row, and no one in back. After that, he'd return the pen/Sharpie to its owner, and disappear into the dugout.

Most of the autograph seekers knew his routine, and the mad dash for that segment of the wall began immediately after the gates opened. If you didn't get up by the wall in the first 5 minutes that the park was open, you were screwed!:(

Those who remember McGwire's habits in his playing days might look for something similar to what he did back then, allowing for the fact that he will no longer take BP.

Dave M.
Chicago area

DonTheLegend
01-18-2010, 10:26 PM
If Big Mac is anything like he was at Wrigley Field pre-2002, he is a creature of habit. .....

Whomever he signed for first had their pen/Sharpie "borrowed' for his whole time signing. He went from that spot to the edge of the home plate screen, signing for everyone who was in the front row, and no one in back. After that, he'd return the pen/Sharpie to its owner, and disappear into the dugout.

Dave M.
Chicago area

this was his M.O. in 1997 as well.

at the old Busch Stadium (at a time when i would hound for auto's) i was able to get him twice in the same week by standing at the "corner" of the players parking gate. twice he asked to borrow my sharpie and used it for everyone (standing in front) and he fired it back to me when he finished.

ive "met" him on a few occasions and every time he was cordial and accommodating.

ive since sold those auto'd photos but still have an '84 Olympic ball and a print.

nice guy IMO. hope he continues his ways with fans.

stlbats
01-19-2010, 01:53 AM
Back from the Winter Warm Up tonight. Overall a good weekend. Very busy as everyone has said. Lines and people everywhere. The new venue was not really any better in my opinion. Picked up a very nice Colby Rasmus bat from the Authentics store and got Matt Hollidays and Pujols autographs. A little disappointed in the GU selection this year. Pujols was as usual not very friendly to fans. There were 3 people wanting to handle your item at the front of his line. It may seem crazy but I am pretty sure that he was signing photos in the darkest spot he could find. I saw numerous people with blue and black sharpies on the darkest areas of photos. You didnt really have time to specify where you wanted it exactly on a picture. My son did sneak a card up there that he reluctantly signed after whining about it to me first. Here are some photos of my items.

Thanks
Jason

murfsteve25
01-19-2010, 05:46 AM
Picked up a very nice Colby Rasmus bat from the Authentics store

Sweet bat. I got the opportunity to play 1 game with Rasmus in summer ball. I was on his team along with his brother Cory and Kasey Kiker. They are AMAZING players.

flota89
01-19-2010, 08:43 AM
Back from the Winter Warm Up tonight. Overall a good weekend. Very busy as everyone has said. Lines and people everywhere. The new venue was not really any better in my opinion. Picked up a very nice Colby Rasmus bat from the Authentics store and got Matt Hollidays and Pujols autographs. A little disappointed in the GU selection this year. Pujols was as usual not very friendly to fans. There were 3 people wanting to handle your item at the front of his line. It may seem crazy but I am pretty sure that he was signing photos in the darkest spot he could find. I saw numerous people with blue and black sharpies on the darkest areas of photos. You didnt really have time to specify where you wanted it exactly on a picture. My son did sneak a card up there that he reluctantly signed after whining about it to me first. Here are some photos of my items.

Thanks
Jason
Hey if you are at all interested in selling or trading that Colby bat email me at flotaboys@hotmail.com Thanks!

flota89
01-20-2010, 08:57 PM
My brother got McGwire's auto when he signed that short period of time. I am looking to sell it for him. My email is flotaboys@hotmail.com if anyone is interested. Thanks!

amerks25
01-21-2010, 10:59 AM
Not very surprised that Pujols was a big jerk. When in Pittsburgh in our hotel my 9 year old son saw Princess Albert and their was nobody and I mean nobody in the lobby. My son asked very politly for "Mr Pujols" to please sign his baseball. He completely ignored him an stood there doing nothing for about 10 minutes waiting for a phone call. He is a phoney. I Like McGwire much more. The only difference between to two of them is that McGwire has come clean. Ask anyone that knew Albert about 10 years ago and they will agree.

bigtruck260
01-21-2010, 04:51 PM
Not very surprised that Pujols was a big jerk. When in Pittsburgh in our hotel my 9 year old son saw Princess Albert and their was nobody and I mean nobody in the lobby. My son asked very politly for "Mr Pujols" to please sign his baseball. He completely ignored him an stood there doing nothing for about 10 minutes waiting for a phone call. He is a phoney. I Like McGwire much more. The only difference between to two of them is that McGwire has come clean. Ask anyone that knew Albert about 10 years ago and they will agree.

Did you go to the STL Winter warm-up? Other than bashing Pujols - seems like a useless post.

Anyway...

Did the LaRussa Foundation have their table set up with the lineup cards, etc.? That's why I usually go, but couldn't make it this year.

flota89
01-21-2010, 05:31 PM
Did you go to the STL Winter warm-up? Other than bashing Pujols - seems like a useless post.

Anyway...

Did the LaRussa Foundation have their table set up with the lineup cards, etc.? That's why I usually go, but couldn't make it this year.
Yes they did. They were $75 for regular lineup cards and up to $350 for ones with every player signing it. I asked them if they would be selling these at any other time, and they told me that if you contact someone from ARF through the website, you could buy one. Hope that helps.

rj_lucas
01-21-2010, 05:33 PM

I had the same reaction. That's all this forum needs, another hater.

ARF was there with lineup cards. They also held an auction Saturday night as part of their corporate sponsorship party (not open to the public), and had a Stars to the Rescue event Sunday night.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

flota89
01-21-2010, 05:54 PM

Albert is constantly being hounded for his signature, even by kids who hand the ball straight to dad who puts it on ebay. Yea, he can seem pretty mean or rude sometimes, but that is just him. I think he is pretty of sick of signing his name. And yea a real phoney, 366 home runs in 9 years. Also, don't come accusing Albert of steroids when we all know you really have no clue if he did or did not do them.

amerks25
01-22-2010, 08:45 AM
Happen to know teammates from his JUCO days!
If he is sick of the fame then too bad. With success comes million $$ contracts (which he will take with him to NY in 2 years). Superstars have to put up with the fame. In fact if there was no fame I would venture there would be no multi million $ contracts. I do not feel sorry for all that he has to "put up with" He is a great talent, but a true jerk.
Kurt Warner never acted too big for his fans! Or Stan Musial.for that matter.

amerks25
01-22-2010, 09:03 AM
I was simply commenting on a post that stated that Pujols was "looking for the darkest spot on the picture and then signing in dark sharpie".
I have been to almost every Cardinal WWU. and will continue to attend because I like the Cardinals. That has nothing to do with Pujols not being decent to people that paid lots of money simply to have a chance to get his autograph. The players could at the very least be cordial to the people responsible for them being able to command the money that they make for playing a game. The great majority of them are great with the fans.

Garistotle
01-22-2010, 09:38 AM
I waited in line for Albert's autograph and, in my opinion, he was fine with everyone (especially the kids). Waiting in this type of line is painful enough so, therefore, I don't want him to strike up a conversation and take pictures with each of the 400+ people in line. Everyone in line paid for an autograph and everyone in line received exactly what they paid for. We didn't pay for a conversation with Albert or a photo op with Albert.

Please don't mistake me for an Albert apologist - I'm not from STL, not a diehard Cards fan and not a Pujols fanatic. I'm just passing along my opinion/observation of last weekend's events. I am a big Cal Ripken fan yet I've seen him turn down countless autographs. Players obviously get hounded for autos on a daily basis and they just can't make everyone happy. Just like all of us, players have different personalities and some happen to be more outgoing than others.

Personally, I was more appalled by the fans that gave Mark McGwire a standing ovation at the Winter Warm Up.

hdavid_27
01-22-2010, 03:19 PM
While I agree that the autograph is what everyone was in line for we are talking about a two hour autograph session. If you were not there in January of 2002 you may not understand. Back then when I stood in line for Alberts autograph, prior to him not signing Bats, Jerseys, Helmets, Posters or Artwork, He was very nice and spoke to the people who were there to get his autograph, while posing for pictures with kids.

I myself do not want my picture with Albert, but the majority of parents who spent $175.00 for his signature for their kids who look up to him and idolize him do. Without the people who attend events like the Winter Warm Up, none of these players would get the multi million dollar contracts that they do.

I am a Cardinals season ticket holder.

My biggest problem with how it is now at the WWU compared to 10 years ago, is that say you want to have a Major League Ball signed by Albert, You spent $12 for the ball, $100 to take yourself and your family, $175 for the Pujols autograph ticket and 3 or 4 hours of your time standing in line. The least I expect is to not be treated like I am a burden, to this multimillionare because my son wants his autograph.

With the way the economy is right now $300 is a lot of money, then you have at least 3 Cardinals Care workers lined up right in front of Albert, taking the items you wish to have signed and handing it down the line. At least 4 people touched my item prior to it landing in Alberts hand for his signature.

Do you have any $300 autographed baseballs with greasy finger marks all over them? I do. And now I probably will have another one in about a year. I put a lot of thought into the items I have signed each year, and take great care so that the items will outlast me for my kids, do you think the Cardinals Care workers take the same precautions prior to handling my items? Probably not.

I myself did not want pictures of anyone with Albert but would have liked to have a picture of Albert signing my item, but because of the Cardinals Care workers and the mass of people taking pictures I didnt get that picture.

And as far as Mcgwire goes MLB would have probably been bankrupt by now had it not been for the 1998 season. While I Do Not Agree with what Mcgwire did I also think he is becoming a scapegoat for Steroids. Put asteriks in the books and move on, and while we are at it put Pete Rose in the Hall Of Fame

bigtruck260
01-22-2010, 03:58 PM
While I agree that the autograph is what everyone was in line for we are talking about a two hour autograph session. If you were not there in January of 2002 you may not understand. Back then when I stood in line for Alberts autograph, prior to him not signing Bats, Jerseys, Helmets, Posters or Artwork, He was very nice and spoke to the people who were there to get his autograph, while posing for pictures with kids.

I myself do not want my picture with Albert, but the majority of parents who spent $175.00 for his signature for their kids who look up to him and idolize him do. Without the people who attend events like the Winter Warm Up, none of these players would get the multi million dollar contracts that they do.

I am a Cardinals season ticket holder.

My biggest problem with how it is now at the WWU compared to 10 years ago, is that say you want to have a Major League Ball signed by Albert, You spent $12 for the ball, $100 to take yourself and your family, $175 for the Pujols autograph ticket and 3 or 4 hours of your time standing in line. The least I expect is to not be treated like I am a burden, to this multimillionare because my son wants his autograph.

With the way the economy is right now $300 is a lot of money, then you have at least 3 Cardinals Care workers lined up right in front of Albert, taking the items you wish to have signed and handing it down the line. At least 4 people touched my item prior to it landing in Alberts hand for his signature.

Do you have any $300 autographed baseballs with greasy finger marks all over them? I do. And now I probably will have another one in about a year. I put a lot of thought into the items I have signed each year, and take great care so that the items will outlast me for my kids, do you think the Cardinals Care workers take the same precautions prior to handling my items? Probably not.

I myself did not want pictures of anyone with Albert but would have liked to have a picture of Albert signing my item, but because of the Cardinals Care workers and the mass of people taking pictures I didnt get that picture.

And as far as Mcgwire goes MLB would have probably been bankrupt by now had it not been for the 1998 season. While I Do Not Agree with what Mcgwire did I also think he is becoming a scapegoat for Steroids. Put asteriks in the books and move on, and while we are at it put Pete Rose in the Hall Of Fame

All good points here. Nice post.

I uderstand the whole notion of spending alot of money, and the fans paying salaries, etc. It's all pretty much true.

The thing about the WWU is that it's a charity event, and because of that, they don't expect poor folks on a 'budget' to be the big spenders. At charity events (dances, dinners, auctions)- it's the guys with the bankroll that pay the large sums of money for the 'experience'. In this case, it's having Albert sign a ball in front of you...for that, $175 is cheap. US charges $600 for a ball that is NOT signed in front of you. So the idea that it's really expensive isn't a big deal to me.

I've also been places when Albert is signing outside for the general public. Granted, this was back in 2003 - and he was more visible and willing to sign. Something everyone needs to realize is that Albert does ALOT of charity work through his foundation (PFF)- and the manager of PFF is a great guy named Todd Perry. Todd was pretty diligent a while back in making it known that there were tons of forgeries out there, and that Albert limited his signing for the public for that reason. He made it clear that he rarely signs jerseys and bats, since those are the things that forgers will sign the most (because they get the highest dollar amount).

Albert also knows that most of the people that get his autograph are going to turn around and sell it - even the ones purchased at the WWU. The Mac comparison is legit, because you can bet that Mac was one of the guys who filled Albert in on all of the issues with signing for every person that asks.

About the guy that said Albert ignored his kid in the lobby of a hotel...so, Albert signs for your kid, then tips off every other person with a pen...and he is surrounded by a group of people who will be angry if he suddenly has to leave - and not sign for them. It's probably played out many times in his career.

I am a fan of the Cards - have been for a long time, and I understand that there are limits with local celebrities...especially in STL where ballplayers are royalty. They try hard to keep their image positive (and Albert has done this even though he's constantly whispered about behind his back...)
and I think Albert does a good job. He's a model citizen who happens to be a very rich (deservingly so) ball player.

He's made many people in STL rich to...residually. I have heard more about him being nice to people (especially children) than being surly with the occasional gawking adult.

BTW - THanks for the tip on the lineup cards. Gotta get a few of those!

D

bigtruck260
01-22-2010, 03:59 PM
Correction meant UD (Upper Deck) charges 600 for a signed Pujols ball...

rj_lucas
01-22-2010, 04:21 PM
I have heard more about him being nice to people (especially children) than being surly with the occasional gawking adult.

Spend some time reading the news stories on the Pujols Family Foundation site, and looking at the photographs.

http://pujolsfamilyfoundation.org/news92.htm

There are numerous other stories like this, but this one makes the point as good as any.

Albert Pujols is human and therefore imperfect, just like the rest of us. But he's anything but a phony. People who choose not to see that are only cheating themselves.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

stlbats
01-22-2010, 04:57 PM
I usually dont post on any argument threads, but simply put, whether his autograph is free or $1000 at the WWU, there is really no excuse to not be nice to his fans and try to mess up their items. Obviously there is not time to chat or even take pictures, but it doesnt hurt to smile a little and not looked pissed off and smirk at people. This is not the team hotel, its a team charity event. A lot of the items he signed for fans were purchased from his Foundation to boot.

Just my 2 cents.

Jason

jabash0331
01-22-2010, 10:26 PM
I too waited in line for my Pujols autograph. It was pretty much what I expected from reading earlier posts...rushed through the line with little or now acknowledgment from Albert. All-in-all, I am happy with the way the auto turned out even though Albert did not use the pen I gave the winter warm-up worker. Does anybody know what the symbol is that he puts by his number? Is it a cross? I had never noticed it on any autographs before but saw it on plenty from the WWU.

For my first WWU, it was a blast. Met plenty of great people. Hope to be more prepared next year now that I now what it is all about!

bigtruck260
01-23-2010, 06:24 AM
Jason - Agreed. He should at LEAST be nice to those who paid for his signature at the Warmup. You'd think that management would say something to him...he does have quite an image to uphold and protect. He's basically the face of baseball. Overall, my opinion of Albert is that he's a good guy who's had it with the media and some types of fans. Just out of curiosity - when your son put his card up there, what did he say to you?

The symbol by his sig is usually a cross followed by his number (5).