PDA

View Full Version : What's the worst loss you've ever seen your Fav NFL Team endure ?

tjm5711
01-05-2010, 10:51 PM
I had mentioned in another thread(Show me your Chicago Bears stuff) how The Bears loss this year to the Bengals was the worst i'd ever endured in my 25 years as a fan. I'd seen the lose by a higher margin before, and in much bigger games. It was just the way they lost, and how overmatched or lack of effort once they were down that made it the worst. So my question to you is:

What's the worst loss you've seen your favorite NFL team endure? Not Necessarily the largest point margin, or the biggest game. Just the one that your team really looked their worst.

ivo610
01-05-2010, 11:40 PM
As a Packer fan losing to Favre this year hurt alot. Guess I know what it feels like for bears fans all these years...;)

tjm5711
01-05-2010, 11:43 PM
As a Packer fan losing to Favre this year hurt alot. Guess I know what it feels like for bears fans all these years...;)

Good Example, that's exactly what type of loss i meant. This Bears fan hopes The Pack beats the Minn. Favres in the playoffs, if they play a third time.

Chris78
01-06-2010, 12:01 AM
Being a Steelers fan, I have suffered through numerous losses which include:

1) 1994 AFC Championship Game against Chargers where they lost 17-13....3 more yards game.
2) Super Bowl XXX against Dallas Cowboys where they lost 27-17 and O'Donnell through the interceptions to Larry Brown
3) 1997 AFC Championship against Denver
4) 2001 AFC Championship against New England
5) 2004 AFC Championship against New England where they went 15-1 (New England went 14-2).

Numbers 1 and 4 on this list were toughest for me. I really thought the Steelers were going to go to Super Bowl XXIX against the 49ers (and lose), and I really thought the 2001 Steelers would have faced the Rams. In 2001, I thought the Steelers might win the Super Bowl as well.

Chris

tjm5711
01-06-2010, 12:12 AM

1) 1994 AFC Championship Game against Chargers where they lost 17-13....3 more yards game.
2) Super Bowl XXX against Dallas Cowboys where they lost 27-17 and O'Donnell through the interceptions to Larry Brown
5) 2004 AFC Championship against New England where they went 15-1 (New England went 14-2).

Numbers 1 and 4 on this list were toughest for me. I really thought the Steelers were going to go to Super Bowl XXIX against the 49ers (and lose), and I really thought the 2001 Steelers would have faced the Rams. In 2001, I thought the Steelers might win the Super Bowl as well.

Chris

It's funny about #1(1994 Playoff loss to Chargers). I was living in Las Vegas
then and played a 4 team Parlay. I had three of the four wins in and all the Steelers had to do was win and I would have scooped up a cool 2K. But, the Chargers beat them and i lost the $250 I laid down. So, I feel your pain on that one. Needless to say it was the last time I bet on anything ! LOL

Dewey2007
01-06-2010, 12:38 AM
I had mentioned in another thread(Show me your Chicago Bears stuff) how The Bears loss this year to the Bengals was the worst i'd ever endured in my 25 years as a fan. I'd seen the lose by a higher margin before, and in much bigger games. It was just the way they lost, and how overmatched or lack of effort once they were down that made it the worst. So my question to you is:

What's the worst loss you've seen your favorite NFL team endure? Not Necessarily the largest point margin, or the biggest game. Just the one that your team really looked their worst.

Oakland Raiders in the Super Bowl vs Tampa Bay in '03. Team looked and played horrible and that game set the stage for the next 7 years of 11 + loss seasons.

Other worst loss endured is the Raiders vs Pats in the Tuck Rule game. First the bad call then they couldn't pick up a first down to run out the clock and gave the ball back to Brady and as they say the rest is history...

10thMan
01-06-2010, 01:41 AM
As a Charger fan, the Loss to the Patriots in 2006. I think Chargers had the Pats stopped (with Chargers Lead) after a 4th down attempt, late in the 4th Qrtr, but got Flagged by "Dray-flo`s" penalty for unsportsmanlike. SD literally had the Game won, if not for a serious lack of Conduct.

Yeah, I know, that`s how it Goes, Blah, Blah, Blah...

Eric, I know your with me on this...MY TEAMS STILL IN IT!!!!!!

Sean

BIGSTIG
01-06-2010, 01:48 AM
tjm -

Funny as that was the same loss I was thinking about when I read the title of the post. I threw my annual Bears charity fund raiser that day and it was BRUTAL. I do raffle prizzes throughout the game etc and actually had guests ask me at halftime if I would just call all the raffle winners then so they didnt have to stick around to watch the second half. It was awful!!! I did not though and made everyone stick it out til the end. By the end we were all overserved and it made it a little easier to swallow :)

jobathenut
01-06-2010, 03:50 AM
As a pittsburgh steelers fan i just have to say every game they lose is the worst lost for me to endure.But in recent memorey the game or games that stand out other than the 2006 and 2009 seasons.Is a tie and both were vs that team (sorry i can't even type the teams name),but that 2001 afc championship game was one i thought we had puched our ticket for the super bowl.But we were determined to get bettis into the game plan that we got out of the game plan that got us there.And the one that hurts the most is that darn 2004 afc championship game.I really thought the big ben era was going to end with at least a super bowl apperance.I mean 15-0 as a starter and the only game you lose (and lose bad) is the afc championship game at home vs a team you beat earlier in the same darn season.I am getting upset all over again.Time to go yell into my terrible towel.:mad:

mfsquirrelmaster
01-06-2010, 05:22 AM
Being a Detroit Lions fan every loss is expected!!!!!!

buckeyegamers
01-06-2010, 08:37 AM
As a Browns fan...... "the Drive" and "the Fumble" :mad:

GarkoCollector
01-06-2010, 09:09 AM
As a Charger fan, the Loss to the Patriots in 2006. I think Chargers had the Pats stopped (with Chargers Lead) after a 4th down attempt, late in the 4th Qrtr, but got Flagged by "Dray-flo`s" penalty for unsportsmanlike. SD literally had the Game won, if not for a serious lack of Conduct.

Yeah, I know, that`s how it Goes, Blah, Blah, Blah...

Eric, I know your with me on this...MY TEAMS STILL IN IT!!!!!!

Sean

As a fellow Bolts fan, I feel like the SuperBowl XXIX Thrashing to the 49ers was a painful one.

legaleagle92481
01-06-2010, 10:08 AM
As a Jets fan there are alot of choices but I will go with the 1998 AFC Championship Game in Denver where they blew a lead and lost the game. It was the closest they got to the Super Bowl since Super Bowl III and they have not been that close since.

tjm5711
01-06-2010, 11:40 AM
As a Browns fan...... "the Drive" and "the Fumble" :mad:

AH YES ! Ernest Byner, I was still a teenager and watched the game live. I remember thinking,"Good, let somebody else try because the Broncos just lose every year anyways." And then the ball squirted out. I think the Browns share their misfortune of always missing the big game with the Chicago Cubs. Such a hard-luck franchise(The Browns). That loss has to be one of the most painful in all of sports history.

Neal
01-06-2010, 11:44 AM
The last game at the Vet - NFC Championship loss.

This was a game the Eagles were supposed to win. The Bucs never won in games under 40 degrees, and it was in the teens. The Eagles had an early lead on the first possession, squandered an opportunity to go up 14-0 and basically did not click the rest of the game.

As an Eagles season ticket holder for 20 years, that is w/o a doubt the only loss I still think about from time to time.

Larry Pelliccioni
01-06-2010, 11:44 AM
It was the first NFL game I saw. San Francisco 49ers came in with Billy Kilmer and the "shotgun" offense and beat my beloved Detroit Lions 49-0.
For years I thought that is why they called them the 49ers.
Larry Pelliccioni

harpt
01-06-2010, 12:17 PM
Packers fan here:

Playoff game against the Eagles a few years ago. Got the game wrapped and then McNabb converts a 4th and 26. Then Favre throws an aweful interception. I still can't get over it.

Also...1998 (I believe)...playoff game against the 49ers. Jerry Rice clearly fumbles to end the game, but the officials don't see it that way. Subsequently, Steve Young promptly throws a TD pass to T. Owens to knock the pack out of the tournament. Oh if only instant replay had come along a little sooner.

JasonBanz
01-06-2010, 12:38 PM
As a Fins fan many come to mind, but my top three have to be........

1. Miracle at the Meadowlands 2001. Fins up big time in the 4th Quarter and blow the lead. The Jets took it into overtime and won! :mad:

2. 1994 Divisional Playoff game. Dolphins lost to San Diego 22-21

3. Dan Marino's last game. Losing the Jacksonville in the playoffs, Final score 62-7!

Mulligans
01-06-2010, 01:08 PM
PATS GIANTS SUPER BOWL!

I couldn't function for weeks!:mad:

tjm5711
01-06-2010, 01:15 PM

1. Miracle at the Meadowlands 2001. Fins up big time in the 4th Quarter and blow the lead. The Jets took it into overtime and won! :mad:

3. Dan Marino's last game. Losing the Jacksonville in the playoffs, Final score 62-7!

I remember that 62-7 loss, being that I had just moved down here to Florida. I kind of felt for Marino going out like that. He was a great QB all those years without any great running backs behind him. That was Jimmy Johnson's last game too I think.

russyurk
01-06-2010, 01:18 PM
Being a Detroit Lions fan every loss is expected!!!!!!

Ditto that....just pick any Sunday!

JasonBanz
01-06-2010, 02:54 PM
I remember that 62-7 loss, being that I had just moved down here to Florida. I kind of felt for Marino going out like that. He was a great QB all those years without any great running backs behind him. That was Jimmy Johnson's last game too I think.

That was Jimmy's last game too, but I really don't pay much attention to that, the only thing he seemed to do while in Miami is drive Marino into retirement!

10thMan
01-06-2010, 03:08 PM
Tom, How quickly I forget! The 49`ers Superbowl Blowout was sad.

The Party at San Diego Stadium Before the Superbowl was amazing. People running into the Stadium with their Dogs, Carrying Cases of Beer inside, pretty much a Free for All!!! Then Mayor Susan Golding promised the City they would have the Biggest Party they ever seen if the Chargers made the "Big Game"

The Chargers are still in it!

Sean

genius
01-06-2010, 04:42 PM
Honorable mentions:
1) Steelers (1989) playoffs, worst team to ever make the playoffs (and thus one of my favorite Steeler teams of yore), lose 24-23 to Denver in the divisional round playoff after dominating much of the game ("Hoge is killing us!!!"). Consolation is knowing that had we won, we would have played the AFC Championship in Cleveland and probably lost, that would have been much tougher to take.
2) Steelers (2001) AFC Championship, we lose by 1 TD and give up a punt return for a TD and a blocked FG for a TD, worst part about it is an ultimate "hidden play", Troy Edwards flagged for running out of bounds on punt coverage nullifying a 75-yard punt from Josh Miller out of his own endzone with the score 0-0, the re-kick is a low short clunker right down the middle returned for TD.

I don't mind the 2004 loss to the Patriots as much, they were a superior team. We were the better team in Super Bowl XXX but we didn't realize it until the 4th quarter, though very tough to take I was proud of our guys that day.

The winner is the 1994 AFC Championship by far, the Alfred Pupunu game.

Though Pittsburgh fans have had much to cheer about over the years there have been many heartbreaks along the way, top 3 "other sports" devastating losses are Pitt Elite 8 last year to Villanova, Penguins 1993 game 7 to the Islanders (the Billy Volek game), and the #1 devastating loss of all-time in any sport, the 1992 NLCS game 7 franchise-killing Francisco Cabrera game.

A personal heartbreaking loss was Tom Watson not making 4 at Turnberry on the 72nd hole, as a big golf and Watson fan that would have been the greatest victory of all time and one of those records that would stand forever (oldest major championship winner).

I think the Patriots losing the undefeated season to the Giants in the Super Bowl has to be the #1 devastating loss all-time in the NFL, even though nobody asked me.

b.heagy
01-06-2010, 04:54 PM

I was there. Man was I pissed off after that one. That may have been the longest 4+ hour drive home a kid could ever endure.

bigtime59
01-06-2010, 06:59 PM
The day the bank took the note from Dan Snyder's daddy saying it was OK for Little Danny to purchase the Redskins. The team has yet to recover.

DrJ
01-06-2010, 09:54 PM
Oilers vs. Bills - the comeback, need I say more....

tjm5711
01-06-2010, 11:13 PM

That has to be #1 all time. You're talking about the when Frank Reich(QB) brought the Bills back from the 35-7 halftime deficit ?

tjm5711
01-06-2010, 11:19 PM
The day the bank took the note from Dan Snyder's daddy saying it was OK for Little Danny to purchase the Redskins. The team has yet to recover.

That's hilarious, but unfortunately for you Redskin fans very true. Snyder is like a young AL Davis. Except AL Davis was actually a great football mind and AFL pioneer in his youth. Snyder is a harmful meddler, always tinkering with things he shouldn't. Then we he realizes he's F---ed everything he up, he goes out and signs the highest priced free agent on the market. I hope for you Redskins fans' sake he leaves Mike Shannahan alone !

gannonknight85
01-07-2010, 11:56 AM
as a raider fan I would have to say the worst loss was the "tuck rule" game in the AFC championship in 2001. Heartbreaking....simply heartbreaking

hrvatwill
01-07-2010, 01:11 PM
Ditto all but the last two paragraphs of Genius' post for me.......interestingly, my father STILL talks about the Pirates loss to the Reds in game 5 of the '72 NLCS to this day as the game which most broke his heart, the contest in which the winning run was scored on a wild pitch by Bob Moose.....but for him, Bench's lead off opposite field home run to tie the score in the bottom of the 9th inning was the most devastating moment.......

BoneRubbedBat
01-07-2010, 01:25 PM

+1

This one game let the air out of Houston football for YEARS.

sox83cubs84
01-07-2010, 01:39 PM
I've seen worse losses in terms of game score or playoff eligibility from the Bears, but one that sticks out in my mind is the Bears loss to Green Bay on Hallowe'en in 1994. The weather was absolutely hideous...snow/sleet/rain/cold/wind all at once. The Diva had his way with the Bears (as he usually did inthose days). Beyond the ramifications of the game itself, though, was the northwest Indiana crash of an American Eagle small jet that killed several dozen people, and was blamed on ice buildup on the wings of the plane that caused it to become unable to keep any altitude. That accident caused the FAA to re-evaluate the allowance of the small jets to fly under such terrible conditions and caused many cancellations for American Eagle, United Express, and other commuter jets in the years to follow. That crash and the game, at least to me, are inseperable.

Dave M.
Chicago area

karamaxjoe
01-07-2010, 02:11 PM
Since we're talkin football here, the worst or saddest game in my memory was the Bears loss to the Redskins in the first round of the playoffs in 1987. The loss was essentially the end of that dominant team although they did manage to get killed again in the playoffs in 1988 to the Niners.

The saddest moment of that game was seeing the greatest football player I ever saw finishing his career alone and in tears on the bench as the clock ran out.

Rob
01-07-2010, 02:13 PM
The last game at the Vet - NFC Championship loss.

This was a game the Eagles were supposed to win. The Bucs never won in games under 40 degrees, and it was in the teens. The Eagles had an early lead on the first possession, squandered an opportunity to go up 14-0 and basically did not click the rest of the game.

As an Eagles season ticket holder for 20 years, that is w/o a doubt the only loss I still think about from time to time.

That game was painful. But to me the worst loss was the Fog Bowl. The Eagles had such a great team that year and it felt like Mother Nature picked agains the birds.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ysuW4t1Ml-oXjM:http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0805/philadelphia.100.seasons/images/24.eagles-fog-bowl.jpg (http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0805/philadelphia.100.seasons/images/24.eagles-fog-bowl.jpg)

http://www.google.com/images?q=tbn:n9TKI_vPgYkusM::www.astropix.com/SPORTSPIX/FOOTBALL/FOG_BOWL.JPG&h=78&w=115&usg=__-EjqLY_DpkDA4ihmPODFNZJpzAI= (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.astropix.com/SPORTSPIX/FOOTBALL/FOG_BOWL.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.astropix.com/SPORTSPIX/FOOTBALL/FBALL_07.HTM&h=551&w=814&sz=77&tbnid=n9TKI_vPgYkusM:&tbnh=97&tbnw=144&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dfog%2Bbowl&hl=en&usg=__1w0yE4YBHtA83LOUvib7n-iEGUo=&ei=pC9GS7fdAs29lAe6iZQW&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=7&ct=image&ved=0CCEQ9QEwBg)

zooat2
01-07-2010, 03:44 PM
Redskins losing to the Lions....nough said...

zooat2
01-07-2010, 03:47 PM

Chris

-AND O'Donnell made Larry Brown a multi millionaire in the process..

LastingsMilledge85
01-07-2010, 03:50 PM
Packers at Eagles 12/5/2004 47-17 Eagles

My first ever Packer game and worst game experience I went to. I was hassled by Eagles fans (who are the worst fans ever after my experience), had front row seats and left early it was brutal.

tjm5711
01-07-2010, 04:16 PM
Since we're talkin football here, the worst or saddest game in my memory was the Bears loss to the Redskins in the first round of the playoffs in 1987. The loss was essentially the end of that dominant team although they did manage to get killed again in the playoffs in 1988 to the Niners.

The saddest moment of that game was seeing the greatest football player I ever saw finishing his career alone and in tears on the bench as the clock ran out.

Ah, yes ! A very painful loss. Sweetness' last game, and the second straight year losing to the Redskins in the first round of the Playoffs. I remember the sadness after that game, and that picture of walter on the bench with his head in his hands.

Vikingshelmetguy
01-07-2010, 07:19 PM
The Minnesota Vikings have never recovered or been the same since this horrible loss (see photo below of Gary Anderson missing his only field goal all season--if he had made it, the Vikings would have gone to the Super Bowl):

January 17, 1999
NFC: Atlanta Falcons 30, Minnesota Vikings 27 (OT)

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/50335866.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=E41C9FE5C4AA0A14014C002E1570E84CF36F6C39F19A4215 ABACADB73EB9CC2AE30A760B0D811297

Gillymo
01-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Packer fans here also

2004 NFC divisional playoff game vs Eagles....

The season seemed like it was meant to be.
1.Favre's dad passed away.
2.A few days later my dad (a HUGE Packers fan) passed away.
3.The Packers squeak into the playoffs as Josh McNown leads the Cards back to an improbable win in the last few seconds to knock out the Vikings (greatest radio call in history...can hear the pain in the Vikings announcers voice)
1st round
4.Pack beat Seahawks in OT as Al Harris tells Matt "We want the ball and we're going to score " Hasselbeck to s*ck it by taking back his pass for the winning TD.
Divisional round.
5.Pack are up a FG with time running out. McNabb converts a 4th & 26 do or die pass down the middle of the field to continue the drive and tie the score.
in OT Favre throws a "no look" pass 40 yrds down field with no WR in sight. Dawkins intercepts it over his shoulder like a punt.
Eagles kick FG to win.
Only time I've ever cried after a game.

Gillymo
01-07-2010, 08:01 PM
Heres the clip of the Vikingsvs Cards loss. This has to be someone's worst moment.
http://www.vidchili.com/video/IX1VICrC3Kb/Paul_Allen_s_Call_of_Nate_Poole_TD_catch_against_V ikings_Week_17_of_2003_season/

tjm5711
01-08-2010, 12:34 PM
Heres the clip of the Vikingsvs Cards loss. This has to be someone's worst moment.
http://www.vidchili.com/video/IX1VICrC3Kb/Paul_Allen_s_Call_of_Nate_Poole_TD_catch_against_V ikings_Week_17_of_2003_season/

The Vikings have historically had a lot of PostSeason misfortunes. I'm wondering if this year will be the same !

johnsnhu
01-08-2010, 01:17 PM
PATS GIANTS SUPER BOWL!

I couldn't function for weeks!:mad:

Agreed!

Aloving77
01-08-2010, 03:18 PM
Titans fan. Super Bowl 34. One yard short.

sox83cubs84
01-08-2010, 08:01 PM
The Vikings have historically had a lot of PostSeason misfortunes. I'm wondering if this year will be the same !

It wouldn't surprise me at all. The Vikes have a recent history of starting off like a gridiron wrecking machine and going in the tank one they've made the playoffs. I expect more of the same in the weeks ahead.

Dave M.
Chicago area

iceman13
01-09-2010, 12:26 AM

All three of those are on my list of horrible Dolphins losses too, but another set of three that haunt me includes:

01/02/1982 - Chargers 41 Dolphins 38 OT - Greatest game ever played and toughest loss to take; Winslow killed us

Superbowl 17 - Skins 27 Dolphins 17

Superbowl 19 - 49ers 38 Dolphins 16 - Marino loses only Superbowl game appearance

tjm5711
01-11-2010, 01:26 AM
I'll bet that Packers loss Sunday will rank up there for you Cheeseheads !

ivo610
01-11-2010, 10:56 AM
As a packer fan I would have rather lost in regulation to a field goal than in OT the way we did. 2 no calls on the final play (roughing the passer hands to the face, and facemask penalty) is annoying but we missed our shot on the first play of OT, so it is what it is. Not the toughest loss but makes you angry when everyone sees something the refs missed. The packers had a good season and i cant be too upset. We have a young nucleus and a top 5 QB, so I expect many great seasons to come.

JasonBanz
01-11-2010, 04:03 PM
All three of those are on my list of horrible Dolphins losses too, but another set of three that haunt me includes:

01/02/1982 - Chargers 41 Dolphins 38 OT - Greatest game ever played and toughest loss to take; Winslow killed us

Superbowl 17 - Skins 27 Dolphins 17

Superbowl 19 - 49ers 38 Dolphins 16 - Marino loses only Superbowl game appearance

Not to make you feel old, but I was born 7 months after the super bowl loss to the 49ers. I picked games that I could remember! :p