PDA

View Full Version : Off topic - for the camera guys

chicagoglen
01-05-2010, 09:59 PM
My wife and I are looking for a good mid-range camera for my MIL. She has always taken beautiful pictures and we think she has an eye for photography. We are looking to spend between $300-$500. IS this a good choice?

Canon PowerShot SX20-IS Black 12.1MP Digital Camera, 20x Wide Optical Zoom & 2.5" LCD

We are looking for something she can grow into but still has a beginner feel.

I feel she has great potential. She took this photo of my daughter with a $30 camera. (I get to show off my daughter and I am biased)

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i255/chicagoglen/Baby.jpg

What would you recommend?

Thanks,

Glen

kylehess10
01-05-2010, 10:21 PM
It's funny that you made this post now, because I actually photographed a baby for the first time tonight. If your spending range is between $300-$500, then I'd suggest a Nikon D40. It's widely known for being a great professional DSLR camera for beginners, which is why it's cheaper than the rest. I've actually seen a few of them sell used for $250

The more you spend, the more you get though. I took these tonight with an $800 camera (over $1000 in most stores though), $125 lens, & $225 flash. Oh...and a $5 piece of black cloth from Walmart for the background :D

http://i47.tinypic.com/2lxgv43.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/152dcuo.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/2ez07zd.jpg

kylehess10
01-05-2010, 10:27 PM
I just found out that the D40 was discontinued this month, meaning you can get it for real cheap now. They have some left on Amazon, and it includes a lens:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000KJQ1DG/kenrockwellcom

dcgreg25
01-05-2010, 10:31 PM
My wife worked in commercial photography for a few years out of college and studied photography in college. I bought her a Nikon D90 DSLR for her birthday last year and she loves it. Nikon makes a great DSLR and offers several models to fit most budgets and skill levels for steps above point and shoot. I would agree with Kyle that the D40 is worth looking into.

kylehess10
01-05-2010, 10:42 PM
My wife worked in commercial photography for a few years out of college and studied photography in college. I bought her a Nikon D90 DSLR for her birthday last year and she loves it. Nikon makes a great DSLR and offers several models to fit most budgets and skill levels for steps above point and shoot. I would agree with Kyle that the D40 is worth looking into.

That's the exact camera I use. I used a Nikon D80 in 2008, and upgraded to a D90 last month. It's a GREAT camera. I'm loving every second with it.

WadeInBmore
01-05-2010, 10:43 PM
since you asked i'll throw in my two cents...my background is in film/tv and have a bunch of friends that shoot casually and professionally alike.

if she is going to "persue" this i would recommend getting a camera that you can interchange lenses. Canon and Nikon are typically the preferred professional stills. And the ability to swap lenses gives you more control of DoF, focus, etc. Also it lends more ability to grow, stylize, and control.

if you are going to go with a camera that has a removable lens remember real glass is always going to be better then plastic and therefor cost a little more.

also, don't discount the old film camera's...some people really do enjoy the concept of shooting and then developing their own material as opposed to doing the all digital thing. It is a process but its intimate and very rewarding for some people...its natural and not digitally manipulative. Actually a lot of the pros that I know shoot digital like they would film...they can just do it faster with instant results which inturns yields a more efficient process.

digital is great, just remember to really get your monies worth you'll want to get a photo editing program to accompany (think photoshop or aperture or the like).

Regardless of what you guys decide enjoy it.

wade

jobathenut
01-06-2010, 04:12 AM
I love taking photos especially sports photos.I was using a old school film camera up until 2004.When my mom bought me my first digital camera for christmas.So if you would have asked me last month.I would have said buy a canon powershot.As i have a s1 is powershot of thiers and i loved it.I say loved because all of sudden it stopped taking pictures.Instead,well it takes pictures but they are scrambled pink hazy blurry pictures.I am not a camera guy so i have no idea what happen to it.I went to a local camera place and the guy said i proberly used it too much.WHAT???? So i contacted canon and it's been a hassle with them.As all they told me it could be a "ccd malfuction" or something like that.Them tech person i emailed said it's a common problem with that camera.Really,would have been nice to known before my mom spent $500 on it.Anyway,i can not recommend thier cameras and if you do,hope you don't have to deal with canon on getting it fixed.As they still have my camera and still have not heard back from them.

neverfinished94
01-06-2010, 09:20 AM
i have the D40 and i love it

CampWest
01-06-2010, 11:23 AM
I'd recommend a lightly used or factory refurbished model on Adorama.com or BHPhotovideo.com.

You can find all sorts of high quality Canon 20D, 30D, 40D in that price range, or the XTi, XSi, etc series as well.

Similar to the previously mentioned Nikon.

dcgreg25
01-06-2010, 12:23 PM
That's the exact camera I use. I used a Nikon D80 in 2008, and upgraded to a D90 last month. It's a GREAT camera. I'm loving every second with it.

Its good to see someone with more expertise in the field that agrees with my research!