PDA

View Full Version : note to steiner : STOP SELLING BLANK TEAM ISSUED YANKS JERSEY!

amex46
06-18-2006, 09:33 PM
http://www.steinersports.com/ssm/control/product/~pcategory=1001/~category=3001/~pid=2000011951420000044

THEY SELL THEM FOR $149 AND YOU KNOW WHAT PEOPLE ARE DOING WITH THEM. IDK WHY THEY WANT TO MAKE $149 AT THE EXPENSE OF BUYERS MAKING THEM UP AS JETER, AROD, AND RIVERA "TI" OR "GW" JERSEYS! THIS MIGHT BE A REASON LOTS OF YANKEES GW JERSEY WITH NO STEINER COA'S ARE SHOWING UP AT AUCTION HOUSES. JUST A THOUGHT? ANY OPINIONS?

suave1477
06-18-2006, 09:36 PM
Well in my own personal opinion anything of about 2004-5 season and on Yankees jerseys if they dont have a Steiner LOA with it im not too comfortable on buying it. I am not saying somethings dont slip by Steiner but I will say not much does. So if its a recent jersey I want to see the Steiner Letter!!!
This is just my opinion!!!

sportscentury
06-18-2006, 09:49 PM
I am not saying somethings dont slip by Steiner but I will say not much does.

Suave,

This is a bold assertion. I say this because, from my observations, this would appear to be far from the case. What evidence do you have to back this up? I'm open to being persuaded, but I would like to know what evidence you have. Thank you and welcome back to the forum,

Reid

suave1477
06-18-2006, 09:55 PM
Well first of all Steiner has complete exclusivity to everything and anything owned game used by the Yankees.
Yankees and Steiner have heavy security and heavy documented everything that is used, issued etc.... by the Yankees

This does not include items that the players thmselves have contracts with manufacturing companies as they can do as the players can do as they please with those items.

allstarsplus
06-18-2006, 10:16 PM
The players do get some of their own jerseys, but I agree that Steiner has a tight grip. Sean that runs the program does a good job.

They told me that they are creating a new hologram to distinguish between the game issued jerseys and game used jerseys. This should help.

I have requested a #'d hologram that would be affixed to the jersey and the COA.

sportscentury
06-18-2006, 10:45 PM
Jason and Andrew,

Thanks for the responses. Over the past 2-3 seasons, I've seen a good number of Yankees jerseys (with substantial game wear) offered elsewhere. I'm not talking about just star players. It's just hard for me to believe that the jerseys of lower end players are being made up from blanks and having game wear "applied" to them. I do appreciate your responses and the information.

From my observations, the team with the tightest grip is the Texas Rangers - I have been impressed by how little has escaped MeiGray, particularly since the Rangers added the serial-numbered strip tags.

Best,
Reid

suave1477
06-18-2006, 10:52 PM
sportscentury believe me not much gets passed Steiner especially the lower end players. You can go to there website and see for yourself how much stuff they have aqquired and thats not all of it they have tons more in there Yankees cage.

As far as the players getting jerseys thats not always true. First of all the Yankees give a limited amount to the players ( as we all know the Yankees are cheap about giving players jerseys ) So its rare you will see more on the market then what Steiner puts out there.

sportscentury
06-18-2006, 11:53 PM
Jason,

Gotcha. Thanks for the info.

Reid

amex46
06-19-2006, 09:41 AM
i am going to email steiner today and see what they say. i am seeing way too many yankees jerseys pop up on ebay and auction houses.

suave1477
06-19-2006, 09:44 AM
amex, i am curious what jerseys do you see popping up through ebay and the auction houses that you have in question?

BULBUS
06-19-2006, 12:21 PM
first, welcome back jason. the forum slowed down a lot while you were gone.

second, i will never buy a circa 2000 or newer yankees jersey without a steiner letter. the rangers do not have a tighter grip than the yankees. they just have a better system with meigray. if steiner would have implemented a similar sytem from the begining, you wouldnt see so many jerseys without a steiner letter in these auctions. as far as the non-star jerseys, its real easy to get one of their game issued jerseys relatively cheap from steiner, take the hologram off, loose the letter, and wash it a few times. bamm, you made a couple hundred bucks. and as amex said, these blank jerseys are a big concern too. you buy one of those, buy another scrub player with a # 2 it it, and make a jeter jersey. bamm, you made a couple of thousand dollars! i hope i didnt give anyone any ideas, but my point is, for these newer yankees jerseys, make sure a steiner letter is included!

suave1477
06-19-2006, 12:30 PM
Bulbus thanks for the welcome back and I do agree with what you say.

sportscentury
06-19-2006, 01:01 PM
i will never buy a circa 2000 or newer yankees jersey without a steiner letter.

Bulbus,

When exactly did Steiner take over Yankees jerseys (that is, do you know the month and year)? Are you saying that there are no real Yankees game worn jerseys from 2000 to present that don't have the Steiner letter? I am just asking for clarification.

Thanks for your post and your information.

Reid

suave1477
06-19-2006, 01:10 PM
Steiner to the best of my knowledge gained full exclusivity of the Yankees memorabilia in 2005, Althought they alreay had the rights to Jeter, Posada and Rivera before 2005.

The Yankees items for years have been stored in and heavily secured in Yankees own basement and released it all to Steiner when they got the contract. A good majority og the items were there especially from 2000 and on since they are recent.

Of course over time items that are older did eventaully make its way out, but the Yankees were the ones who did try to keep everything accounted for over the years.

While other teams looked the other way when things made it out the back door.

sportscentury
06-19-2006, 01:11 PM
the rangers do not have a tighter grip than the yankees. they just have a better system with meigray.

BULBUS,

Do the Rangers add the serial numbered tags to the jerseys themselves before they are used by the players or does MeiGray add them after they receive the jerseys at the end of the season?

[Barry from Meigray - please feel free to chime in here if you are reading this.]

Thanks, guys.

Reid

BULBUS
06-19-2006, 01:53 PM
reid, actually, i'll probably never buy a yankees jersey again without a steiner letter. having bought several items from steiner and being in their yankees cage, the bulk of their inventory seems to be from 2000 and on. this is just my opinion and because what is going on in the hobby (all the questionable items in these auctions), i cant buy something that i will stare at and wonder if it is real or not. i will pay the extra cash to get the real deal from steiner, and i'm sure that is what they are banking on when they ask for their high prices. the peice of mind is worth it. i know that you have/had some yankees jerseys without the steiner letter, but unless they have a letter from the player, sorry, i will not be purchasing any. its just way too easy to fake yankees jerseys. i'm not saying that yours are fake, but i wont take the chance that you may have been deceived, as so many are in this hobby. again, these are just my personal opinions and feelings.

regarding meigray, i'm not sure about their process, but as we have seen recently, its real easy to bust someone that is trying to sell something as game used when it is actually game issued. not so easy with the yankees jerseys.

sportscentury
06-19-2006, 02:18 PM
BULBUS,

I agree with you that you need to buy what you feel comfortable with ... I wouldn't spend a dime on a jersey that I had any question about either.

I found out today that Steiner will sometimes "authenticate" items that come from collectors, so I am learning more and more about this process all the time. I bought a couple of items years ago from Steiner but haven't done much business with them in recent years (mostly because I just can't afford the prices, not because they do not have nice inventory). So, I am not as familiar with their operations as I am with those of some other companies, such as MeiGray.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on the Rangers versus Yankees issue, though. The Rangers have serial numbered strip tags sewn into their jerseys - until another team starts keeping track of their gamers via serial-numbered tagging, I will continue to view the Rangers as having the "tightest grip" on their uniforms.

Thanks for the posts.

Best,
Reid

trsent
06-19-2006, 02:50 PM
Reid, I recall that Steiner took over in 2004 and really did not get rolling until the 2005 season. So, anything 2004 and before when Steiner took over could theoretically be out there without a Steiner certificate. How could someone say a 2000 Yankees jerseys has to have a Steiner certificate when Steiner did not even have a deal with the Yankees until 2003 or 2004?

I also heard that when Steiner did their initial inventory from the Yankees, that tons of stuff pre-1996 was not even there.

Also, has anyone seen Steiner sell team-issued blank jerseys other than size 42 or 44? I have not. No player could even wear that small of size. If they started selling big sizes then I would for see a problem. If Steiner had big sizes, why wouldn't they just number them for the star players and make more money? Then again, isn't it still considered team issued if Steiner numbered them?

BULBUS
06-19-2006, 03:45 PM
reid, its sad, but i'm not comfortable collecting much these days. as far as steiner selling third party authenticated items, i'm not down with that. that is not what their business is about. i know business' have to adapt to survive, but i dont think they have to go in that direction.

i think the yankees have a tight grip, remember mariano's cousin ruben? he was kicked off the team for stealing jeters stuff and selling it for a couple grand :eek:

BULBUS
06-19-2006, 03:51 PM
i guess i'm off someones ignore list :confused: i knew you couldnt stay out of this one. you address the post to reid, but then you cant help but take jabs at my OPINION. but when you sell those yankees "pro-cut" jerseys, i guess you are going to have a problem with my opinion.

and YES, they did sell larger sizes in the blank game issued jerseys. they are sold out! i wonder where they are today????

suave1477
06-19-2006, 04:03 PM
I also have to agree with Bulbus they did sell large size blank Game Issued jerseys!!1

suave1477
06-19-2006, 04:13 PM
Bulbus also makes a good point, that is true when ruben did sell out the back door Jeters stuff they did kick him off the team.

The funnier part about the story is they got rid of Ruben Sierra so they can keep Ruben Rivera, then Rivera does that stupidness and they had to call back Ruben Sierra.
I know Sierra must have been pissed!!
Sierra must have said to himself you got rid of me for this clown and now you want me back????????

BarryMeisel
06-19-2006, 05:13 PM
Hi everybody,

MeiGray does not add the tags afterwards.

The tags are sewn in and the numbers are logged by the Rangers during the season. The team also logs the serial numbers of jerseys distributed to charities, etc., before we acquire and register into our database the available inventory that we market.

Hope this helps,
Barry Meisel, MGG

eGameUsed
06-19-2006, 05:29 PM
Barry,

I have had a few of the 2005 Rangers Home jerseys with Red Cross patch on the chest. The 3 I have owned did not have Rangers tagging. Did those miss the tagging from your knowledge?

Thanks,

sportscentury
06-19-2006, 05:49 PM
Hi everybody,

MeiGray does not add the tags afterwards.

The tags are sewn in and the numbers are logged by the Rangers during the season. The team also logs the serial numbers of jerseys distributed to charities, etc., before we acquire and register into our database the available inventory that we market.

Hope this helps,
Barry Meisel, MGG

Barry,

Thanks. I was 99.9% sure of this, but I appreciate the confirmation. Because no other team tracks their gamers via serial-numbered tagging, the Rangers are the model to be followed. Folks are welcome to think as they like, but it would be very hard to persuade me otherwise.

With that said, I genuinely appreciate everyone's posts and I've learned a bunch from this thread.

Also, I want to state for the record that I do not regularly sell Steiner-certified game used items; I did not post anything in this thread in order to offend or irritate forum members who do regularly sell Steiner-certified items. In fact, I wish these folks the best in their business endeavors.

Thanks,

Reid

sportscentury
06-19-2006, 05:50 PM
Barry,

I have had a few of the 2005 Rangers Home jerseys with Red Cross patch on the chest. The 3 I have owned did not have Rangers tagging. Did those miss the tagging from your knowledge?

Thanks,

Chris,

Were they Set 3 jerseys?

Reid

BarryMeisel
06-19-2006, 06:06 PM
Chris,

I cannot answer that question authoritatively yet, since we did not yet receive the Rangers' 2005 inventory.

Once I have that information, I will respond.

Regards,

Barry

trsent
06-19-2006, 06:20 PM
Funny, I received a phone call that Bulbus and Jason were on my case for my comments about the Steiner Yankees jersey.

Just understand that the reason these two users are on my ignore list (by the way, ignore lists are used on this forum a user cannot read certain user's posts) is because they cannot have a conversation without jumping all over the person with the other side. I just find it funny that people call me to tell me comments made by users such as these who cannot have an adult conversation because they have to be right without allowing two sides to a story.

Also, it is none of either of your business what articles I sell, it has nothing to do with my posts which are based on my memory of the history of Steiner's agreement of working with The Yankees. I could sell the items in question or not (which right now I am out of stock of anyway) and it shouldn't mean that if I post constructive comments that they should be attacked because I may have a personal interest in similar items.

suave1477
06-19-2006, 07:53 PM
Well TRSENT IS MISINFORMED AND THATS FINE TOO BAD HE CAN READ WHAT IM WRITING NOW!!

Not once did I jump all over TRSENTS comments the only thing that I stated was that Steiner did sell big sized jerseys.

So who ever called TRSENT should call him right back and say they made a mistake by mentioning my name in it!!!

s.carter
06-20-2006, 08:50 AM
Just have to chime in here on some incorrect info I read here, Steiner does not authenticate third party items. That is about as incorrect as can be. Having dealt with them and speaking to their reps I can say 100% Steiner Sports only authenticates items signed in the prescence of one of their company representatives. As for game used they have everything authenticated through Deloitte and Touche and the MLB program as it is pulled off the field. Anything they sell that is third party is usually authenticated through JSA or PSA/DNA. Just had to chime in there.

suave1477
06-20-2006, 08:58 AM
Actually S.Carter your wrong about that, becuz Steiner will sell third party items and if its Game Used item they would have to Issue an LOA for it bcuz JSA or PSA/DNA Would be for the autograph.

trsent
06-20-2006, 09:04 AM
Just have to chime in here on some incorrect info I read here, Steiner does not authenticate third party items. That is about as incorrect as can be. Having dealt with them and speaking to their reps I can say 100% Steiner Sports only authenticates items signed in the prescence of one of their company representatives. As for game used they have everything authenticated through Deloitte and Touche and the MLB program as it is pulled off the field. Anything they sell that is third party is usually authenticated through JSA or PSA/DNA. Just had to chime in there.

That is fine, as I never stated myself (someone else did) that they authenticate 3rd party items. I do remember years ago they bought The Gloria Rothstein collection and sold items with their holograms on it that they bought from long time promoter Gloria Rothstein. I do not personally know if this practice exists anymore, but your statment is that it doesn't.

BULBUS
06-20-2006, 09:22 AM
suave and carter,
reid mentioned that steiner authenticates customers items. that is not true. i have never seen them sell third party authenticated game used items (PSA, MEARS, ect.), but they do sell third party authenticated autographed items. as i mentioned earlier, i do not like this practice. you can not send in any item to be authenticated by steiner. also, they dont deal with D&T so much anymore. they used to use them for the yankees game used items they sold, but now they work directly with the yankees and authenticate the items themselves (jerseys, baseballs, ect.). you no longer see the mlb hologram on their yankees items.
-chris

suave1477
06-20-2006, 10:18 AM
bulbus actually your wrong they might nor do it for you bu they will do it. I am not saying that as a put down to you. They just wont do it for the average joe.

allstarsplus
06-20-2006, 10:41 AM
suave and carter,
also, they dont deal with D&T so much anymore. they used to use them for the yankees game used items they sold, but now they work directly with the yankees and authenticate the items themselves (jerseys, baseballs, ect.). you no longer see the mlb hologram on their yankees items.
-chris Chris is correct that most of the newer Yankees items are not coming with MLB holograms. They have been tagging them with a Steiner Yankees hologram (not numbered) and you got a nice LOA with it.

suave1477
06-20-2006, 10:47 AM
MEMBERS OF GAME USED UNIVERSE!!!

It was just brought to my attention by a reliable source that Steiner does not do 3rd Party Authenticating.
I was under a different impression for a different reason, but it was made clear to me they do not do it.

JETEFAN
06-20-2006, 10:58 AM
Hi,
Though fraud has always been an issue, I think that the reason we see all these Yankees jersey's popping up all of the sudden is because B-4 Steiner, everyone was scared the promote sales of any Yankees jersey's, now since Steiner has flooded the market, they would be hard pressed to prove that the item was "stolen" from them. Stickers can fall off and certs can be lost!! I know that Steiner is not the only one with authentic Yankees uniforms out there!!

George

JETEFAN
06-20-2006, 11:07 AM
As far as Steiner not authenticting 3rd party Yankees item's, if you have the market cornered why help someone else? They want to make us all feel that they are the only source of "authentic" game used Yankees stuff. A monopoly of any kind is bad for all collectors!! I am sure there are tons of forum members with great authentic Yankees items that unfortunatly they would have a tough time moving without the Steiner stamp of approval!!! Just my opinion!

George

sportscentury
06-20-2006, 06:01 PM
Just have to chime in here on some incorrect info I read here, Steiner does not authenticate third party items. That is about as incorrect as can be.

Folks,

I apologize if I unknowingly passed along misinformation. This information was shared with me by a regular poster on this forum (and a regular poster on this thread, in fact!), so I hope that he will post and explain why I was told this by him if it is not true.

The last thing I would want to do here is pass along misinformation. The person who shared it with me stated it as FACT and I had no reason to think that what he was telling me is actually not true. I hope this will be straightened out here.

Reid

sportscentury
06-20-2006, 06:05 PM
bulbus actually your wrong they might nor do it for you bu they will do it. I am not saying that as a put down to you. They just wont do it for the average joe.

Jason,

Thanks for posting this. I just posted a response to S.Carter and then I read the posts by BULBUS and you.

Maybe you can straighten this out with S.Carter and BULBUS because, at this point, I really have no idea what to believe about Steiner authenticating third party game used items. I'll let you take it from here.

Reid