PDA

View Full Version : Player collectors having trouble getting items from other collectors?

murfsteve25
12-31-2009, 04:51 AM
Would like to hear from player collectors such as 3arod13, garkocollector, nationals2k and anyone else...

Anyone ever come across items that other collectors have that you would LOVE to add to your collection, but their just not willing to give it up?

What do you do? Keep raising the offer? Or just let it go?

markize
12-31-2009, 07:47 AM
Steve,

I just let it go. That darn Andrew Lang :D won't give up his Soriano nationals gear. I kid him about it now and then, but I wouldn't part with those things either. A guy can dream!

Mark

murfsteve25
12-31-2009, 08:51 AM
Steve,

I just let it go. That darn Andrew Lang :D won't give up his Soriano nationals gear. I kid him about it now and then, but I wouldn't part with those things either. A guy can dream!

Mark

Letting it go is tuff. Especially when items of the player you collect hardly ever pop up for sale. It's a little different for Soriano though, ive seen a good amount of his items through the years. Good luck though

3arod13
12-31-2009, 09:05 AM
Steve,

I will usually let the person know I'm interested, and ask them if they ever decide to sell it, to consider contacting me first.

Just like with my Arod 1st Career Grand Slam Bat. When Juan posted the bat, I contacted him and asked him he ever decided to sell it, to please consider me first. He later did.

I don't like to be pushy about it. I've had people hound me for something I had, that they wanted, and it got pretty frustrating.

Regards, Tony

markize
12-31-2009, 01:01 PM
Letting it go is tuff. Especially when items of the player you collect hardly ever pop up for sale. It's a little different for Soriano though, ive seen a good amount of his items through the years. Good luck though

steve,

soriano cubs gamers are easy to find, it's the Yankees and Nationals stuff that's hard to come by.

Mark

GarkoCollector
12-31-2009, 01:30 PM
Steve,
There have been a few people that tried to hold an item over my head and ask ridiculous prices for things, but I know what Garko items are worth. People that try to hold things hostage end up selling for less than I offered in the first place. it happens a lot with cards, but memorabilia wise, I usually just wait people out. I dont nickel and dime people over a couple of bucks if its an item I want. I have some great people in this hobby that are always on the lookout for things for me and rarely do they ask much more than what they paid, mainly because they know its going into my collection and it wont end up on ebay in a week or 2.

I havent seen a memorabilia item that I had to have that I didnt get, mainly because they dont sell exceptionally high. I have his College jersey from the World Series, I have his first Indians jersey, full Team USA Uniforms, Team USA Futures Jersey and a TBTC Full Uniform. I'd like a White Gamer and a blue gamer, but they are out there. Maybe a set of his Catchers Gear would be a want for me, but I have never seen or heard of a set being available.

People continue to think their items are worth their weight in gold, then later they realize they are closer to their weight in aluminum foil. I wait them out and smile to myself when I win an auction for less than my original offer or buy from someone else for less than I offered the original seller.

I offer close to my max from the beginning. If someone asks for a ridiculous amount for something, I decline and dont even bother counteroffering, because again, I know what Garko items are worth. Still waiting on being able to get my first Garko Giants item. The prices are still pretty crazy right now. Just have to wait these out too.

Thanks for the question
Tom

gingi79
12-31-2009, 01:51 PM
I had a guy offer me a Sami Salo black Senators for $850. At the time, even Meigray was offering his stuff for $295. I politely declined. A couple of months later, up pops a one for sale at one of the auctions. Final Sale price? $181.

There is a collector who has one shirt I want but he has politely declined selling it in this market. That I understand. However, sometimes people think that because I collect only 2 players religiously, that I will pay through the nose for them. Part of the reason I picked my guys was that they were cheap for what they would become. Matty is full of potential and Sami is one of the top 5 demen in Canucks history. They donate to charity and while they are good, they aren't all stars. I wanted collectibilty but on my budget. It sucks to say no sometimes but unless it's the one uber rare shirt, i'm good at keeping my wits about me.

Good topic.

metsbats
12-31-2009, 02:40 PM
I take the same approach as Tony. There are a few items in a couple of forum member's collections which I've told them if they ever consider selling them to allow me to make the first offer. (I've not harassed Kyle Hess about his Kurt Abbott WS bat barrel at all)

If it or any other item doesn't end up with me ever and it goes to someone else it was never meant to be with me in the first place.

nationals2k9
12-31-2009, 11:47 PM
I personally haven't been asked too many times about my collection being for sale. But I know I've seen stuff Bobby has brought in for instance that I'd love to own. But I know him well enough to know he's looking to build his own collection right now and maybe would think of me along with some others if he ever decides to sell. The best way to go about it in my opinion is to compliment the collector on his or her find and move on. Not worth trying to pry something away from someone. If someone's ultimately only in it to sell an item... that will show with enough time elapsed. If they indeed are looking to build a personal collection, I say just be happy for them!

As an aside, one thing I don't particularly like is when I get talking about an item I own and someone asks what I want for it as if it's for sale. I don't have a price in mind for something I'm not looking to sell. If the interested party wants to throw out a figure just for fun, so be it. But I don't think it's fair to casually ask someone what they want for an item that's not on the open market. There are more subtle ways to go about it...

dcrules01
01-01-2010, 08:34 AM
33bird has a 76 Doug Flynn bicentennial bat that I want.We made a deal for another item about a year ago and he stated a friend had it. He now owns it and stated if he ever sells he would contact me. Flynn items are scarce so I am hoping :). I also know another collector that has an 82 home Youngblood but is not willing to part with.And tnt toys has a Pulsipher team signed Mets bat that I want.I jokingly harass him about it every now and then :D. In all fairness to Tnt he did sell me my Flynn Expos gamer and has notified me about 3 Youngblood bats that were on ebay that I added to my collection. At least I know where these items are and have let the owners know if they ever sell I am interested.

suicide_squeeze
01-10-2010, 11:55 AM
There are two guys that have my life-long attention....

Wade in Baltimore ;) ......and Troy Kinunen. They both have balls that are worth something huge to me.

Wade is the proud possesor of not ONE, not TWO.....but THREE Frank Thomas home run balls. I have begged him to sell me one, as it is a void in my collection. I have already promised him that in regards to a price, he will NEVER do better than what I will offer him, because he has provenance that comes with the balls in each case. And that's what it's all about.

But Troy........eesch. He has something I cannot live without, and I too, like Tony with Juan and the 1st grand slam Arod bat, have asked him to please consider me as his first call when he decides to sell.

He has an Eddie Mathews home run ball with a period signature of Eddie's on it. Eddie has left us, so even if one obtains another one of his homers which are available out there, getting him to sign it is not an option.

I sometimes find myself sitting in the dark staring at the phone, waiting for that call, Troy.