PDA

View Full Version : Anyone bought anything from Coaches Corner?

scrinjun
12-30-2009, 11:08 AM
Just wondering if anyone had purchased anything from them or had experience with them. Thanks.

tjm5711
12-30-2009, 11:26 AM
I bought an autographed jersey from the a little over three years ago. They seem like a decent operation.

yanks12025
12-30-2009, 11:39 AM
You guys know 99.9% of the items they sell are fakes. I would do a search for them on this site ad you will find the info you need. Stay away from them.

legaleagle92481
12-30-2009, 11:58 AM
Most of what they sell are bad fakes of rare autographs and the market knows it as the items sell for a fraction of their actual value.

legaleagle92481
12-30-2009, 11:59 AM
Most of what they sell are bad fakes of rare autographs and the market knows it as the items sell for a fraction of their actual value.
I mean actual value of an authentic autograph of the athlete or celebrity in question.

scrinjun
12-30-2009, 04:21 PM
You guys know 99.9% of the items they sell are fakes. I would do a search for them on this site ad you will find the info you need. Stay away from them.

Thanks for the search suggestion, glad I asked! :eek:

tjm5711
12-30-2009, 04:29 PM

I wound up reselling the jersey without any problem. I haven't bought anything since.

Lokee
12-30-2009, 06:50 PM
I noticed Darren Daulton consigned alot of his stuff to them. I couldn't imagine any of his stuff being forged or whatever. Comes with his LOA as well.

earlywynnfan
12-30-2009, 09:18 PM
Try this, it's fun: bid on something, a bid high enough to just beat the high. If you are the high bidder, go back and put a ceiling bid in, $20-$30-whatever more than your current high bid. Check back in one minute, and you'll still be high bidder, but just below your maximum bid! It happens every time!

There's a name for this...

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

thedegu
12-30-2009, 09:41 PM
Even if one somehow found a legit item in a CCSA auction, they'd still be supporting an operation that screws people over and floods the hobby with fakes. Can't see any point in dealing with those scum under any circumstances.

David
01-01-2010, 02:17 AM
I agree with you.

SSB15
01-01-2010, 09:54 AM
I have only purchased one item, game used Reds uniform, from them. It turned out to be real. However, it was very difficult to obtain extra photos of the the tagging and COA. It was almost like they were trying to hide something from me.

My take is that you need to make sure for yourself that the item is real before bidding with Coaches Corner. This statement probably holds true for all auction houses now.

Scott

buc
01-01-2010, 10:51 AM
You guys mean my gem mint single signed Ruth ball and game used bat of Gehrig I bought from them for $399 (combined) are not real????

My personal opinion: 99% of their autographs are no good, 99% of their game used items are no good, and even their graded cards (Jordan rookies, etc...) are no good. I speak from experience on the game used and graded cards, but I've always stayed away from their autos. Even some of the ones they label as PSA or JSA come with Auction LOA's and the items have been switched. The "graded" Jordan I bought, I sent to PSA and it was a fake.
This is my personal opinion based on my experience.

legaleagle92481
01-01-2010, 11:55 AM
I don't know why anyone would bid on anything in their auctions even if something appears to be "real" and a few items are I have seen stuff from UDA in there on occassion for example. They are like a pipeline for a huge amount of fakes to flow into the market and as collectors we should not give them any business to force them to either clean up their act or go out of business.

David
01-01-2010, 03:21 PM
If you are of the opinion a company is in the business of cheating people out of money, why would you be willing to take the chance of sending them your money in the first place? It's like saying about a neighbor, "I knew he was a liar and a thief, but didn't think he would welch on the money I lent him."

buc
01-01-2010, 03:46 PM
If you are of the opinion a company is in the business of cheating people out of money, why would you be willing to take the chance of sending them your money in the first place? It's like saying about a neighbor, "I knew he was a liar and a thief, but didn't think he would welch on the money I lent him."

If this was directed at me, the reason was because this happened 5 years ago when I first got in to collecting. At the time, I had no idea who they were or what they were about. Thus, I found out the hard way.

David
01-01-2010, 11:20 PM
It wasn't directed at you are an other individual here.

I was just saying that I've just never understood people who deal with sellers they know are dishonest, than are surprised or angry when things don't work out as expected.

allstarsplus
01-04-2010, 11:13 PM
If you want to watch the TomTresh2 collection of videos on Coaches Corner, click here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4896jFCzEs&feature=related

Sad yet hilarious.....

schubert1970
01-09-2010, 07:05 PM
A friend of mine bought a lot of stuff from CC. Befroe letting me know he purchased about 20 auto's. A few months later at a card show in San Jose, we has PSA take a look at the lot. They all came back fake and he paid over $150 bucks to be told he bought crap.

sammy
01-09-2010, 07:39 PM
Dang, he got ripped off twice.

srothw
01-24-2010, 10:18 PM
I had some huge problems with them in '08 and early '09 regarging a bunch of stuff I bought from them as fakes. They eventually took teh stuff back but took awhile to get my money.

I will never EVER buy anything from themn again as I think 75% of their stuff is crap. If they didn't keep SCD in print I would think they would be banned from there.

Don't buy anythign from them. If it's too good to be true it is.

ironmanfan
01-25-2010, 12:11 AM
I will never EVER buy anything from themn again as I think 75% of their stuff is crap. If they didn't keep SCD in print I would think they would be banned from there.

Don't buy anythign from them. If it's too good to be true it is.

FWIW, Coaches Corner hasn't advertised in SCD since last summer (debateable whose decision it was)

sammy
01-25-2010, 06:52 AM
This is from their Friday auction.

http://www.myccsa.com/Lot/202/lou-gehrig--babe-ruth-autographed-psadna-certified-baseball--others-and-gorgeous.aspx (http://www.myccsa.com/Lot/202/lou-gehrig--babe-ruth-autographed-psadna-certified-baseball--others-and-gorgeous.aspx)

legaleagle92481
01-25-2010, 11:52 AM
This is from their Friday auction.

http://www.myccsa.com/Lot/202/lou-gehrig--babe-ruth-autographed-psadna-certified-baseball--others-and-gorgeous.aspx (http://www.myccsa.com/Lot/202/lou-gehrig--babe-ruth-autographed-psadna-certified-baseball--others-and-gorgeous.aspx)

Enos Slaughter was 16 in 1932 and had yet to begin playing in the minors even at that point and I do not believe blue sharpies were invented yet. Which means Enos signed it after 1932. Which raises the question if the ball were real why would you add an Enos signature to a Ruth/Gehrig ball? To me it looks like a waste of nine grand.

commando
01-25-2010, 12:34 PM
Was the ball legitimately graded by PSA? If so, what exactly did PSA say? (the writeup was a bit funny) If this is a legit PSA-graded ball, I don't feel that Coaches Corner is in the wrong.

David
01-25-2010, 11:41 PM
The Slaughter looks decent but was a bad choice. It was added many years later in modern pen and his signature isn't worth that much anyway. Lowers the value because it's out of place.

David
01-25-2010, 11:48 PM
Notice that the min bid of the PSA ball is $9,000, where it would be like $200 if it had an LOA from their usual guys.

sammy
01-26-2010, 03:56 AM
The minimum bid was 2000.00.

The last bid was 9000.00.

Add 15% BF and the final price is 10350.00.

nycsports
01-26-2010, 09:42 AM
How does Coach's Corner get away with selling fake autographs for all of these years? Shouldn't they be shut down, and out of business by now for making money off of forgeries? Or are they still around because no one has done anything about the fact that they are selling fakes?

legaleagle92481
01-26-2010, 09:45 AM
The Slaughter looks decent but was a bad choice. It was added many years later in modern pen and his signature isn't worth that much anyway. Lowers the value because it's out of place.

Why anyone would forge a Slaughter signature would be a mystery during his life the guy was a huge signer. He even signed by mail for free for many years and he did countless shows across the country. His signature will never be in short supply. It took him many, many years to make the Hall of Fame and he clearly falls into the group of hall of famers who one could argue do not belong there. He has no known connection to Babe and Lou besides the fact that they all played for the Yankees although many years apart as Babe and Lou were both dead when Enos was a Yankee and Enos spent most of his career with the Cards rather than Yanks. My thought is and I was hinting at this in my previous post is that the signature was added later to add legitmacy to the item as there is no other purpose for the signature to be there. I have heard of forgers doing this alot with multisigned balls most commonly with 500 home run club balls. Also if you had a baseball like this and it was totally legit why consign it to Coaches Corner an auction house with a terrible reputation? I am sure Hunt, Hertiage or any other auction house would jump through hoops to get an authentic Babe and Lou baseball into their auction. This point is further beared out by the low winning bid. Coaches Corner like most auction houses charges a 20% fee to the cosignor so this person netted less than eight grand for a ball that if real would easily bring in over 20. Just look at some of the prices Babe and Lou stuff has brought in lately. Babe cuts alone go for four or five grand.

legaleagle92481
01-26-2010, 09:51 AM
How does Coach's Corner get away with selling fake autographs for all of these years? Shouldn't they be shut down, and out of business by now for making money off of forgeries? Or are they still around because no one has done anything about the fact that they are selling fakes?

You could say the same about Ebay. The sad fact is the general public does not care because they are luxury items and people do not feel sorry for people who spend 100s and 1000s on such when they are scrambling to even find work or pay their bills. The government has gone after many fake autograph sellers but there is not enough resources to go after them all and it would be a hard case to prove as Coaches Corner is not forgering the autographs themselves and can just say we relied on our "authenticators" and we cannot be blamed if they turn out to be inept.

sammy
01-26-2010, 10:18 AM
The ball sold for a good price in my opinion, and I seriously doubt it would have done better anywhere else.

------------------------------------------------------------

"Also if you had a baseball like this and it was totally legit why consign it to Coaches Corner an auction house with a terrible reputation? I am sure Hunt, Hertiage or any other auction house would jump through hoops to get an authentic Babe and Lou baseball into their auction. This point is further beared out by the low winning bid. Coaches Corner like most auction houses charges a 20% fee to the cosignor so this person netted less than eight grand for a ball that if real would easily bring in over 20."

Capital-Sports
01-26-2010, 10:52 AM
I also agree the price seems about right for that ball.

Definitely not a $20k ball.

CollectGU
01-26-2010, 01:06 PM
[quote=sammy;183312]The ball sold for a good price in my opinion, and I seriously doubt it would have done better anywhere else.

------------------------------------------------------------

quote]

Just to clarify, the auction is not over until this Friday....

Dave

sammy
01-26-2010, 02:11 PM
Dang, thought it was over last Friday.

Could go higher then.

sammy
01-30-2010, 06:07 AM
Well, the auction ended at 15525.00 (13500 + 2025 BF).

Pretty dang good price for CC, or anywhere else.

The seller will receive 10800.00 and CC will receive 4725.00.

---------------------------------------------------------

eisenreich8
01-30-2010, 12:14 PM
I will admit I bought 2 things from them before I was aware so many problems were exposed.

I got a Flutie signed BC mini-helmet (which I have compared to the many Flutie-signed items already in my possession) and it holds up well in comparison.

Also, a 2004 Red Sox team-signed WS ball with 24 auto's, and again, I have bunches of authentic sigs I got myself from these players over the years so I would have a hard time believing the ones on this ball could be bad. There is always room for fraud since I didn't witness the auto's put to leather, but what do you all think the chances are that some or all of these sigs could be faked? The auto's, again, seem dead on. Single-signed would give me pause.

Thanks for any input!

Buster
01-30-2010, 07:09 PM
I bought an autographed jersey from the a little over three years ago. They seem like a decent operation.

I was just reading through this thread, and noticed "Banned" under this guys name. I thought everyone in the collecting world knew what kind of an outfit Coaches Corner was.

Does this board ban members for posting their opinions if they are off base? Can anyone tell me what happened here? I'm kinda new here, and I don't want to wiped off the forum for posting an opinion, even if I'm wrong.

Buster

Fnazxc0114
01-30-2010, 09:07 PM
after reading operation bullpen and the amount of stuff they put onto the market. i wonder how much of it has been sold through coaches?

eisenreich8
01-30-2010, 09:47 PM
Buster,

The tjm banning was the result of he and another member getting into it to the point they stepped over the line of TOS, so to speak. No sense rehashing the reasons why.

If you play nice and strive for harmony, you will undoubtedly thrive here. Just....be nice.

Opinions are NEVER wrong. They belong to you, and no one has the right to say your opinion is "wrong". Just try to be nice.

Not trying to be an a$$ but things like the "dropping trou" comment are examples of what to avoid doing on this particular forum.

That said, welcome to the GUU Forum!

Buster
01-30-2010, 10:56 PM
Buster,

The tjm banning was the result of he and another member getting into it to the point they stepped over the line of TOS, so to speak. No sense rehashing the reasons why.

If you play nice and strive for harmony, you will undoubtedly thrive here. Just....be nice.

Opinions are NEVER wrong. They belong to you, and no one has the right to say your opinion is "wrong". Just try to be nice.

Not trying to be an a$$ but things like the "dropping trou" comment are examples of what to avoid doing on this particular forum.

That said, welcome to the GUU Forum!

Thank you for the good advice which I will take to heart, and for clarifying the facts about the other member. I was off base in what I assumed.

And I got it too on the bad sense of humor. I thought I posted a funny, and on second thought, it probably was a bit tasteless. I meant it in a light hearted way, but I don't ever want to appear unfriendly!! Thanks again for the explanations.

Buster

eisenreich8
01-31-2010, 10:06 AM
Thank you for the good advice which I will take to heart, and for clarifying the facts about the other member. I was off base in what I assumed.

And I got it too on the bad sense of humor. I thought I posted a funny, and on second thought, it probably was a bit tasteless. I meant it in a light hearted way, but I don't ever want to appear unfriendly!! Thanks again for the explanations.

Buster

Been there, done that!

legaleagle92481
01-31-2010, 11:35 AM
I will admit I bought 2 things from them before I was aware so many problems were exposed.

I got a Flutie signed BC mini-helmet (which I have compared to the many Flutie-signed items already in my possession) and it holds up well in comparison.

Also, a 2004 Red Sox team-signed WS ball with 24 auto's, and again, I have bunches of authentic sigs I got myself from these players over the years so I would have a hard time believing the ones on this ball could be bad. There is always room for fraud since I didn't witness the auto's put to leather, but what do you all think the chances are that some or all of these sigs could be faked? The auto's, again, seem dead on. Single-signed would give me pause.

Thanks for any input!

They very well may be real. Like any auction house CC takes items on consignment and if people consign a legit item to them they will sell it. They had alot of ads in SCD so people looking to sell stuff probably have seen them and just cosigned stuff to them without knowing their reputation. Noone has said every single item CC sells is questionable or not real they have so many auctions with so many items in them if even 5%- 10% were unquestionably real that would still be alot of legitmate items they have sold. Alot of people, myself included, just do not like to deal with them because of they sell so much that is questionable or worse to make a buck.

eisenreich8
01-31-2010, 03:36 PM
They very well may be real. Like any auction house CC takes items on consignment and if people consign a legit item to them they will sell it. They had alot of ads in SCD so people looking to sell stuff probably have seen them and just cosigned stuff to them without knowing their reputation. Noone has said every single item CC sells is questionable or not real they have so many auctions with so many items in them if even 5%- 10% were unquestionably real that would still be alot of legitmate items they have sold. Alot of people, myself included, just do not like to deal with them because of they sell so much that is questionable or worse to make a buck.

Thank you for that legaleagle, I am hitting the "deal" button and not planning to do any more bidding there.