PDA

View Full Version : game used bat ?

ClaudiaM
12-28-2009, 03:25 PM
what do you do when you find out that a bat you bought at a VERY well known auction house , is not what it the cataloge said it was, and not worth a fraction that was paid. Do you have any recourse against the auction house? any help as to where I can read up on this issue would be greatly appreciated

TriplexXxSports
12-28-2009, 04:57 PM
What auction house?

earlywynnfan
12-28-2009, 05:11 PM
what do you do when you find out that a bat you bought at a VERY well known auction house , is not what it the cataloge said it was, and not worth a fraction that was paid. Do you have any recourse against the auction house? any help as to where I can read up on this issue would be greatly appreciated

I get on the phone with the auction house and explain to them exactly why the bat isn't as presented.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

legaleagle92481
12-28-2009, 11:38 PM
If you can give us the facts we can probably help you better.

ClaudiaM
12-29-2009, 02:49 PM
1999 The Sothebys Auction of the Barry Halper Collection,

(info as printed in the auction catalog)

lot #1601
Mickey Mantle Signed Game Used Bat
This 1960-1964 H&B Professional Model K55 shows moderate game use. The barrel has been inscribed by Mantle in green ink "to Barry -Thanks for everything- Your Friend Mickey Mantle- 2/5/88 (9/10) in excellent condition 33 oz length 34 1/2 in. (87 .6 cm)

The bat was sold at auction for $20,700.00, then resold to Upper Deck, which was entered in a sweepstakes , and was won by my mother.
Taxes were paid on the value. We have been trying to sell the bat and upon studying about game used bats, have found that ( awaiting verification from the bat maker ) Mantle never ordered the 34 1/2 inch bat and that it possibly was considered a "never left the field house bat", and if that is the case the bat is not worth a fraction of what the prize that was offered , taxes paid etc. I have also an issue with the authenticator of the bat for Sothebys. I'm wanting to see what legal action can be taken to get a "real" bat , or compensated by the auction house or Upper Deck.

I appreciate your time on this matter, that was kind of you to respond. Being a girl who knows nothing about memorabilia , i have learned alot , but stil could use some advise!

thanks
Claudia

ClaudiaM
12-29-2009, 05:21 PM
1999 The Sothebys Auction of the Barry Halper Collection,

(info as printed in the auction catalog)

lot #1601
Mickey Mantle Signed Game Used Bat
This 1960-1964 H&B Professional Model K55 shows moderate game use. The barrel has been inscribed by Mantle in green ink "to Barry -Thanks for everything- Your Friend Mickey Mantle- 2/5/88 (9/10) in excellent condition 33 oz length 34 1/2 in. (87 .6 cm)

The bat was sold at auction for $20,700.00, then resold to Upper Deck, which was entered in a sweepstakes , and was won by my mother.
Taxes were paid on the value. We have been trying to sell the bat and upon studying about game used bats, have found that ( awaiting verification from the bat maker ) Mantle never ordered the 34 1/2 inch bat and that it possibly was considered a "never left the field house bat", and if that is the case the bat is not worth a fraction of what the prize that was offered , taxes paid etc. I have also an issue with the authenticator of the bat for Sothebys. I'm wanting to see what legal action can be taken to get a "real" bat , or compensated by the auction house or Upper Deck.

I appreciate your time on this matter, that was kind of you to respond. Being a girl who knows nothing about memorabilia , i have learned alot , but stil could use some advise!

thanks
Claudia

STLHAMMER32
12-29-2009, 05:49 PM
I saw the bat listed on ebay. This could be a team index bat that mantle may have used. His K55's have been speculative. It may be tough to determine whether or not mantle actually used the bat if it matches his characteristics as far as size and length it would definately help the case. The yankees could have ordered the bats and mantle may have used the model (especially since it had his name on it) but it may be very tough to prove one way or another. Hope this helps I know others may have more experience to share.

yanks12025
12-29-2009, 07:01 PM
If you won it as a price i don't think you could really do anything but i may be wrong. If a team index bat its still considered pro-model bat.