PDA

View Full Version : Ripken Base in Historic Auctions

vsrg
06-17-2006, 08:58 PM
Curious to see if anyone has gotten any info on the Ripken Game Used Base (Lot # 32087) in the currrent Historic Auctions offering. It is located here: Ripken Base (http://www.historicauctions.com/search/list/auctionid/32087/)

First off, the listing says "Cal Ripken played in every Orioles game from May 30th, 1982 to September 20th, 1998." A few sentences later, when describing the offered base, it states "This is a rare chance to own an actual game used base which was used during the streak on 8/19/01, as the Orioles played the Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park."

So, from that description, I assume that this couldn't have been used during the streak if it is from 2001. Also, the listing refers to the MLB hologram number on the base, saying, "This base also sports the Official Major League Baseball hologram with the league numbers gt00040417, which further insures the base's authenticity." When I looked that up, the MLB database says the base dates from 8/26/2001, not from 8/19/01.

I recall the Sox (and many other teams) using these bases during Cal's farewell tour in 2001, but on 8/26/01, according to http://www.baseball-almanac.com, the Red Sox were playing in Texas. The Orioles were at Fenway on 9/26/01, which would have been Rip's second to last game at Fenway. The Orioles were also at Fenway on 8/19/01, the date the listing says the base was used, but I don't remember those basees being used until Rip's final trip to each city, so I don't know if they would have been used for the Orioles' August trip to Boston.

Now, I suppose it is possible that there is a typo in the listing and this base is from 1991 instead of 2001, but I don't imagine the Red Sox would put Rip's 8 on a base for any average game, and I don't recall that teams regularly used specially-painted bases that early. So, regardless of which of those dates it was actually used, I'm still not sure that it could have dated from the streak as the listing suggests.

So, I'm pretty confused about this one, especially with all these conflicting dates....any ideas? Has anyone asked for more clarification on this item?

Thanks,
Rick

mr.miracle
06-17-2006, 09:22 PM
Rick, that base in question came directly from Andrew Lang a very well respected member of this forum from Allstarsplus in Maryland. He obtained the autograph on the base at a private signing with Cal. Not sure about the dating as you mention, but I know for a fact that the base is the real deal and was used in one of the final appearances by Cal at Fenway during the 2001 season. It may be possible with the rescheduling of games around 2001 with Sept 11th. that the dates got mixed up. I can assure you that this base is the real deal and should be considered as good as gold.

Thanks
Brett

allstarsplus
06-17-2006, 10:25 PM
Brett - Thank you for the Post. I gave the person we sold this particular base to the .jpeg of Cal signing. You would think they would have asked Historic to put the pictures of Cal with the auction.

Obviously this wasn't used during the Streak but during Cal's last games in 2001 prior to his Retirement.

What makes this base even more special is that Cal will generally write 2632 CG and he did all Special Inscriptions for us and wrote out the words CONSECUTIVE GAMES. I was an unpaid volunteer for the Cal Ripken Sr. Foundation so Cal really took care of me on autographs, inscriptions, and special items.

As far as the correct date----MLB verbally gave the correct date 8/19/01 since the hologram was not correct in the database as Arthur Anderson was the MLB authenticator in 2001----but it is obvious it was used in Fenway during an Orioles game in Cal's last season in 2001.

I personally collected several 2001 Ripken "8" bases from different MLB teams and personally handled the autographs. It is one of the best experiences I have personally had in collecting as Cal is one of the greatest that ever played the game!

http://www.allstarsplus.com/BASEBALL/ripken_game_used_fenway_base_2632_b.jpg

allstarsplus
06-17-2006, 10:35 PM
I recall the Sox (and many other teams) using these bases during Cal's farewell tour in 2001, but on 8/26/01, according to http://www.baseball-almanac.com, the Red Sox were playing in Texas. The Orioles were at Fenway on 9/26/01, which would have been Rip's second to last game at Fenway. The Orioles were also at Fenway on 8/19/01, the date the listing says the base was used, but I don't remember those basees being used until Rip's final trip to each city, so I don't know if they would have been used for the Orioles' August trip to Boston.

Thanks,
Rick

Rick - Good research. I think you are brighter than the MLB people. It probably was not 8/19 and instead was a typo and should have read 9/26 instead of 8/26.

Good job! I think all the 9/11 postponements messed up the databases. We are sitting on boxes of other Post 9/11 items with holograms that still aren't in the database!

Andrew

vsrg
06-17-2006, 10:44 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the replies...I was more confused about the dates and the assertion that it was used during the streak, not about the item's actual game use or the signature's validity, so I don't want anyone to think I was calling that into question. It is a really nice item, and I appreciate the additional info.

Thanks!
Rick