PDA

View Full Version : Richie Dick Allen Phillies 60's Hat

WStiles
11-24-2005, 01:15 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to everybody! I need some help with a little info. Does anybody remember a Platt auction. I believe it may have taken place in the last year or so. I never saw it myself. There was a 60's Phillies Allen hat in the auction. Can anybody give me info on the hat. Thoughts on authenticity, size, market value, ect.. The hat is being offered to me in a trade this weekend and I'll be viewing it then. It is a size 7 which is possible, as Allen himself told me his hat size was small when he came up with the Phillies in 64 as a youngster when I had him sign a 60's helmet. My discussion on the hat was brief. I'm very leary on hats, and at this point don't know if it is a Wilson which I believe it should be. I have a 63 Chris Short hat and it is a Wilson. I was also told that Ed Dolan has approved it. Whether that means it has his written loa, I'll find out Saturday. If not I'll certainly contact him before I deal for it, but I would like as much info as possible.
Thanks
Wayne

WStiles
11-26-2005, 11:31 AM
I've been able to get info on the Allen hat that seems very promising. Wilson coding dates the hat as being from 1963. Allen came up at the end of 1963 playing in 10 games with 24 at bats. Nobody else wore number 15 for the Phillies in 63 and 15 was the number he wore in that end of the season stint. This would have to be called a rookie hat. What I would like to hear from fellow forum members is an approximate value. The hat is described as showing light use which would be expected from only 10 games. Appears to have excellent paperwork. I do know in a recent Hunt's auction that a 60's Phillies Callison hat went for $2500 (which I thought excessive, maybe I'm behind the times?). So anyone please jump in on the possible value of this hat. I'll see the hat in person tomorrow and possibly doing the deal in the next few days. I would normally tell somebody it is worth what you are willing to pay for it. However in this case, I am not looking to add this to my collection, as I am to move it via trade at a later date and I am not interested in over paying for it.
Thanks - Wayne

lightsoutlouie
09-14-2009, 06:50 PM
Some 4 years later, the HAT IS A FAKE. Reply if you want info.

hblakewolf
09-14-2009, 06:52 PM
Some 4 years later, the HAT IS A FAKE. Reply if you want info.

As an avid Phillies collector, can you detail your findings? How can you determine it to be fake?

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

lightsoutlouie
04-27-2010, 07:58 PM
Wayne, I hope you never got that hat. It is a stone fake. Reply if you care for details.