PDA

View Full Version : Game used NFL footballs..help...

Haylo
12-22-2009, 11:17 AM
Hello,
How can you tell an NFL football is a real game used football? I'm looking at one that is an Off Wilson NFL football, all the right labeling. The ball also has the teams name (Rams) on it. The ball also has in sharpe a number on the tip. Any help would help....

Thanks,

seasonwithangels@aol.com

mbenga28
12-22-2009, 11:23 AM
yes how did you tell the difference between a game used football and these,

http://cgi.ebay.com/WILSON-OFFICIAL-NFL-GAME-FOOTBALL-THE-DUKE-GOODELL-R_W0QQitemZ320465370679QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defau ltDomain_0?hash=item4a9d397e37

since these also have the team name stamped on the panel?

tjm5711
12-22-2009, 11:51 AM
I am far from highly informed on this subject, but in the ball I have picured here you can see it has "Week-16-3" stamped on it. This ball was indeed from week 16 of last year being from A Monday Night game between the Chicago Bears and Green Bay Packers. I forgot what the three means. Maybe someone can refresh my memory. There is also a "K" stamped on it as well along with "3" hand written in white marker. I too have seen these balls on Ebay with the team's name stamped on it. Here is an example of a ball with simply the name stamped on it claiming to be gamed used:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CHICAGO-BEARS-GAME-USED-FOOTBALL-2001-URLACHER-SB-XLI_W0QQitemZ350294224151QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item518f29ad17

I think they just started stamping the weeks on these balls in recent years. But as you can see in that listing there are serious issues. The seller claims that ball is from the Super Bowl XLI year. That year according to him being 2001 ! Well the Bears were eliminated in the first round that year and went to the big game in 2007(2006 season.)

I have come across sellers claiming to have game used balls listed on Ebay, with one obscure picture in the listing. When I ask them for more pics and details about markings that may be on the ball, i usually get no reply ! I once came across a ball with PS-1 stamped on it. The seller was claiming this was from a big very memorable regular season game that year. When in fact "PS" means preseason. And the "1" indicates the first week of preseason.

Unless you're buying from a reputable seller on Ebay or anywhere else for that matter, or the ball has NFL Auctions,PSA/DNA,Mears, etc authentication. You should always do your homework !

tjm5711
12-22-2009, 11:57 AM
Here is the ball from the Monday night game i was talking about. The game was in December of last year. It was won by a Robbie Gould field goal in OT. This is a Kicking team ball of the Bears. I'm hoping(but never will be sure) that this was the ball used to win the game !

cohibasmoker
12-22-2009, 12:04 PM
Hello,
How can you tell an NFL football is a real game used football? I'm looking at one that is an Off Wilson NFL football, all the right labeling. The ball also has the teams name (Rams) on it. The ball also has in sharpe a number on the tip. Any help would help....

Thanks,

seasonwithangels@aol.com

Does the font on the football look like this? Starting in 2006, (New Style Duke) the NFL started laser-printing the team names of footballs that are shipped to the NFL teams.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

tjm5711
12-22-2009, 12:21 PM
Yes, that is the correct font ! The main point I was making is that if someone is claiming to have a game used ball from 2008-09, and it doesn't have the week stamped on it. It probably never saw the field, let alone the Team's equipment room. I've seen a lot of balls being offered with just the teams name etched on it ! Are they all game used ? If they are from the last couple years they should have more than just the team name on them.

I believe the "3" after the "16" on mine has something to do with which Referee uses that ball. If anyone can elaborate on this. Please do !

cohibasmoker
12-22-2009, 12:52 PM
Yes, that is the correct font ! The main point I was making is that if someone is claiming to have a game used ball from 2008-09, and it doesn't have the week stamped on it. It probably never saw the field, let alone the Team's equipment room. I've seen a lot of balls being offered with just the teams name etched on it ! Are they all game used ? If they are from the last couple years they should have more than just the team name on them.

I believe the "3" after the "16" on mine has something to do with which Referee uses that ball. If anyone can elaborate on this. Please do !

Tim, I beg to differ - there are two types of footballs using during NFL games - "Offensive" footballs and "Kicking" footballs. Each team can bring and use up to 12 footballs and each team uses their own footballs - a team would NOT use the other team's offensive footballs. The only footballs they share are the "K" footballs and these footballs are provided by the home team.

Over the past 3 years, I've collected and personally owned between 75-100 "offensive" footballs from ballboys, players and other collectors and NONE of these footballs have the week laser-printed on them. Again - not a single "offensive" football had the week laser-printed on them.

Why did I collect just the "Offensive" footballs? The answer is with the "K" footballs, there are different stampings on them. Some have a single "K", some have two "K,s", some have the week while others don't. It was just too complicated to try and figure out the system they used for the "K" footballs.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

tjm5711
12-22-2009, 01:11 PM
Thanks for clearing that up Jim. Like I said I am far from highly informed on game used balls. YOU, on the other hand definitely sound like you know what you're talking about ! Thanks for that great info !

Tom

cohibasmoker
12-22-2009, 01:15 PM
Thanks for clearing that up Jim. Like I said I am far from highly informed on game used balls. YOU, on the other hand definitely sound like you know what you're talking about ! Thanks for that great info !

Tom

Tom - This is a forum and everyone's opinion is valued.

tjm5711
12-22-2009, 01:19 PM
Well, I saw the original posting and was curious myself. Where did you get all your game used footballs ? The only place i know is JO Sports. And I'm not paying $400 each,(which is the high price they charge).

Rob
12-22-2009, 03:09 PM
Tom,

Welcome to the forum.

Shouldn't a game used ball have the officials initals on it to signify that it was checked and deemed fit for use? I didn't see initals on the ball you showed.

Pictures of a ball that I recieved from the Philadelphia Eagles web site is attached. It is from last years NFC championship game. Above "THE DUKE" is what I believe to be the officals initials.

Do K balls not get initals?

tjm5711
12-22-2009, 03:15 PM
Tom,

Welcome to the forum.

Shouldn't a game used ball have the officials initals on it to signify that it was checked and deemed fit for use? I didn't see initals on the ball you showed.

Pictures of a ball that I recieved from the Philadelphia Eagles web site is attached. It is from last years NFC championship game. Above "THE DUKE" is what I believe to be the officals initials.

Like I said I am still learning all about game used balls. Maybe a kicker ball doesn't get initials. If any one knows for sure, let us know !

indyred
12-22-2009, 03:27 PM
Well, I saw the original posting and was curious myself. Where did you get all your game used footballs ? The only place i know is JO Sports. And I'm not paying $400 each,(which is the high price they charge).

Meigray has few from Eagles games at $199, they may even be half off for holiday sale (ends tomorrow). I know Eagles game used jerseys are, doesn't say anything about balls though in the sale. May be worth checking out if your looking for a game used ball. I know their are a few threads about this topic on this site. Barry did say in another one most officials do mark them in different ways.

tjm5711
12-22-2009, 03:42 PM
I just collect Chicago Bears items exclusively ! I checked out and book-marked the site. It looks like a reputable dealer. Thanks for the tip !

Haylo
12-22-2009, 05:00 PM
Hello,

Rob how much was the NFC Champ Eagles Cardinals football? I'm looking for one just like that, I'm a Cardinals fan (I think it's OK to say that now..I think?) and have not seen one other then on the cover of the SI with Warner on the cover. Do they have more?

Also, I saw a Cardinals GU ball with Cardinals etched on it with #85 on one of the tips. The auction said it was from the Bears Cards game this season....sound legit???

seasonwithangels@aol.com

cohibasmoker
12-22-2009, 05:40 PM
I get my footballs from a variety of sources. Prior to the 2009 season, the NFL did NOT have a policy mandating that referee's mark a football - some refs did it and others didn't so I don't rely on whether or not a ball is a "gamer" because there is some kind of mark (s) on it.

I've always felt that anyone can take a marker and mark a football so I look for other factors. If I feel comfortable with a football and if the ball has a "so-called" referee marking (s) on it - so be it.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

Haylo
12-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Jim,
Do you have a 2009 NFC Championship game ball?

seasonwithangels@aol.com

cohibasmoker
12-22-2009, 06:56 PM
Jim,
Do you have a 2009 NFC Championship game ball?

seasonwithangels@aol.com

Sorry but I do NOT have a ball from that game.

cohibasmoker
12-22-2009, 07:01 PM
Tom,

Welcome to the forum.

Rob - Is there a team name (Eagles) laser-printed on the panel under the NFL shield?

Jim

Rob
12-22-2009, 10:11 PM
Tom :I got this for around $200 thru the Eagles web site. They do not have anymore on their web site.
http://store.philadelphiaeagles.com/Philadelphia-Eagles-Game-Used-_1404016750_PG.html

It may be worthwhile to call them and see if they have any left.

Rob
12-22-2009, 10:15 PM
Jim,

There is a team name (Eagles) laser-printed on the panel under the NFL shield. I can hopefully take a picture and post Wednesday.

Rob

tjm5711
12-22-2009, 10:16 PM
Thanks! Very reasonable prices on the Eagles site ! Wish the Bears site wasn't highway-robbery. But they don't sell game-used stuff like that !

cohibasmoker
12-22-2009, 11:04 PM
Thanks! Very reasonable prices on the Eagles site ! Wish the Bears site wasn't highway-robbery. But they don't sell game-used stuff like that !

There's a Bears ball currently on eBay. It looks fine to me and it the ball stays around it's current price, it would be a good deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Chicago-Bears-Football-Game-Ball-or-Practice-Ball_W0QQitemZ130353775129QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item1e59b0c219

Rob, I visit the Eagles website often but missed that football. That was a steal for that football - Congrats. A scan isn't necessary, I just didn't see it in the original posting.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

NEFAN
12-22-2009, 11:14 PM

I beleive the second number represents a specific ball ie.. if there a 20 balls they would be individually numbered. Just my opinion.

cohibasmoker
12-23-2009, 07:24 AM
Another important aspect of authentic gamers is dating the football. If the Colts go undefeated this year, any football from this season may be a tad more valuable than Colts footballs from previous seasons.

What I've found is there may be three ways to date a football; the Commissioner, the number of stars in the NFL shield and the date stamp under the Made in USA stamp.

2006: Tagliabue (Pre-season) & Goddell. 22 Stars in the NFL Shield and the first letter in the date stamp should be "J"

2007: Goddell, 22 Stars in the NFL shield and the letter "K";

2008: Goddell, 8 Stars in the NFL shield and the letter "A"; and finally,

2009: Goddell, 8 Stars in the shield and the letter "B".

Just my observations. Just remember, in this hobby the only thing that's consistent is it's inconsistency.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

Haylo
12-23-2009, 03:06 PM
Hello,
I know that the NFC Champ game has it's own labeled football, how about a Div. game? I was wondering if there would be a 2009 game ball from the Cardinals @ Panthers? Or did they use reg. issue footballs?

Has anyone seen an NFC Champ game ball with Cardinals etch in it?

seasonwithangels@aol.com

I'm looking for a 2009 NFC Championship football Cards vs Eagles..