PDA

View Full Version : MLB's all time 9

murfsteve25
12-21-2009, 01:44 AM
I was on the Yankees website voting for the all time 9...had a hard time deciding which 3 I should choose for outfield. players on the list were:

Joe Dimaggio
Rickey Henderson
Reggie Jackson
Mickey Mantle
Roger Maris
Bobby Murcer
Babe Ruth
Dave Winfield
Bernie Williams

How am I supposed to choose just 3?

Nathan
12-21-2009, 02:39 AM
Seems pretty basic to me. Eliminate the ones who don't go into the highest echelon (Murcer, Williams, and Maris). Then eliminate the ones whose Yankees' careers were less than the others (Henderson, Jackson, and Winfield).

So you're left with Dimaggio, Ruth, and Mantle. Then again, if we were talking about overall careers regardless of team, those are the three I'd take anyway.

legaleagle92481
12-21-2009, 10:27 AM
I was on the Yankees website voting for the all time 9...had a hard time deciding which 3 I should choose for outfield. players on the list were:

Joe Dimaggio
Rickey Henderson
Reggie Jackson
Mickey Mantle
Roger Maris
Bobby Murcer
Babe Ruth
Dave Winfield
Bernie Williams

How am I supposed to choose just 3?

Maris, Murcer and Williams were all very good players but none of them was an immortal type player. If they had played for another team On say for example the Mets they would make a decent alltime outfield but they just do not compare to other outfielders the Yankees have had. Rickey, Winfield and Reggie are all no doubt about it hall of famers but they all played major portions of their careers with other teams. Even besides that they just do not measure up to Mantle, DiMaggio and Ruth who are all easily among the top 10, 15 position players of all time. So to me those three are your outfield easy choice.

cjclong
12-21-2009, 10:42 AM
I went with DiMaggio, Mantle and Ruth also. Those are all HOF players and except for Ruth played their entire careers with the Yankees ( Had to think twice to realize Ruth wasn''t a career Yankee, but obviously the all time great on the team) A number of the others on the list would be starters if they had played for other teams, but that just shows how deep the Yankees talent has been over the years.