PDA

View Full Version : How does one get into game used collecting?

thepatchguy
12-16-2009, 04:28 AM
Hi, I am a former card collector and have thought about getting into game used jersey collecting as a way of getting out of the ever more fraud & corrupt world of sports cards. I was so tired of fake game used patch cards, that I had to give it up. I'm hoping this may be a good replacement hobby. Anyway, I am wondering how you actually go about acquiring items and how you can be sure that the items you do get are actually game used. Thank you.

mfsquirrelmaster
12-16-2009, 04:44 AM
Your tired of fake game used cards? Let me tell you that you haven't seen any thing yet. But this is a very enjoyable hobby. If I was you I would just go through this site and read as much as you can. You will be able to learn alot from reading the past posts.

kylehess10
12-16-2009, 09:17 AM
I was in your same position. I used to collect mainly logo patch cards and had quite a big collection, but gave up on it after realizing that I was spending too much money when I could be buying the full thing. Just do your research. If you have a specific team you'd like to collect, then learn the tagging and other characteristics for their jerseys. I've gotten all my knowledge from this website.

shoremen44
12-16-2009, 09:55 AM
I agree with the other sentiments... read this website like crazy...

I got my first game used bat as a kid, but didnt really start collecting until a couple years ago.

I really struggled at first, and bought a bunch of crap, and alot of stuff I thought I wanted, but didnt really.

Use the members here, they are a great group of people, they are knowledgeable and always willing to help. Ask, ask, ask...

whirl
12-16-2009, 10:39 AM
Great advice, Bert. I, too, only started collecting relatively recently and bought some things I wish I hadn't. Just like baseball cards, you can't buy everything. Focus on a team, a player, hall of famers, or whatever you like. Do it for enjoyment and do your homework. Ask questions and use the Search feature on the forum. Rex

platinum1
12-16-2009, 11:08 AM
You came to the right place. This website has been great.
Just pick the player or team you want to start collecting and do I quick
search for old threads and you will see tons of info.
Before buying ALWAYS make sure you do your research.
Search for pictures of the jersey.
Try and match the jersey to the picture.
Make sure the tags are right for the jersey.
Enjoy

grenda12
12-16-2009, 12:28 PM
I picked up my first game used bat about 3 yrs ago from the annual Sox Fest. It was a cheap $30 bat, thought it was cool to own a game used item. Ever since that Ive been hooked.

thepatchguy
12-16-2009, 07:38 PM
So how would be a good way to tell if the jersey is this auction is real, 260521744599. And would a Red Sox jersey cost a lot more than a Twins?

legaleagle92481
12-16-2009, 08:55 PM
Just start buying that simple. If your sport is football try NFL auctions or JO Sports you will pay more but you know they are real. If its basketball or hockey try MEIGray and NBA and NHL auctions. If its baseball try Steiner or mlb auctions (stuff that has MLB hologram). If you go on Ebay or another auction house buy stuff that originated with these companies. That is the way to a no doubt about it real collection. Anything else you cant be 100 percent sure and if your wrong the more you saved by buying the cheaper stuff is just money wasted. I have been collecting jerseys 6 months, bats about 1.5 years and through these channels i have gotten so much stuff. spent alot but at least I know its real.

legaleagle92481
12-16-2009, 08:57 PM
So how would be a good way to tell if the jersey is this auction is real, 260521744599. And would a Red Sox jersey cost a lot more than a Twins?
Depends on the player. A Joe Mauer or Justin Morneau is going to go for more than many if not all Red Sox.

jetersbatboy
12-16-2009, 10:57 PM
If its baseball try Steiner or mlb auctions (stuff that has MLB hologram). If you go on Ebay or another auction house buy stuff that originated with these companies. That is the way to a no doubt about it real collection. Anything else you cant be 100 percent sure and if your wrong the more you saved by buying the cheaper stuff is just money wasted. I have been collecting jerseys 6 months, bats about 1.5 years and through these channels i have gotten so much stuff. spent alot but at least I know its real.

Not true, it is a known fact that Steiner letter are forged using older holograms, and MLB holograms are sometimes mis-explained! You can't always trust a hologram or team letter. Do some resarch, make sure the jersey your buying has a correct hologram for the age of the jersey. Know the players size, does he use this type of jersey. What I mean is some players prefer cool base and not a knit jersey. Yet some teams sell these knit jersey as game used even if the player may not have used it. Fukudome is one how loves a coolbase jersey yet, there a tonof knits being sold as game used. Team letter are another issue, take a look at the Albert post in the auction items disscusion. Do your home work and don't just trust what some tells you.

thepatchguy
12-16-2009, 11:05 PM
So where are good places to find stuff and good places to try and match things to photos?

legaleagle92481
12-17-2009, 12:07 AM
Not true, it is a known fact that Steiner letter are forged using older holograms, and MLB holograms are sometimes mis-explained! You can't always trust a hologram or team letter. Do some resarch, make sure the jersey your buying has a correct hologram for the age of the jersey. Know the players size, does he use this type of jersey. What I mean is some players prefer cool base and not a knit jersey. Yet some teams sell these knit jersey as game used even if the player may not have used it. Fukudome is one how loves a coolbase jersey yet, there a tonof knits being sold as game used. Team letter are another issue, take a look at the Albert post in the auction items disscusion. Do your home work and don't just trust what some tells you.

Good points. It is so easy to lose 1,000s in this hobby and you have to be so careful even when dealing with buying stuff straight from teams.

mfsquirrelmaster
12-17-2009, 12:43 AM
Just starting out I would stick to the common type players with jerseys under $100-$150. That way if after you do your homework, purchase the jersey, then find out that its not authentic you won't be out a ton of cash. The longer your in this hobby, the more jerseys you purchase, and the more threads you read you should feel more comfortable about spending on a expensive shirt. There are several places to find pics for photo matching purposes like getty, corbis, and ap.