PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Steelers Haggans jersey

genius
12-15-2009, 07:44 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Steelers-2004-Clark-Haggans-Game-Used-Worn-Jersey_W0QQitemZ120503323563QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0e8ecbab#ht_500wt_1182

I'm not questioning its authenticity, only my inability to discern a photomatch with Getty images from 2004. To my untrained eye, the nameplate seems off, the numerals too close together. Yet it has numerous repairs and drawstring sleeves and I suppose it's possible to stretch the numerals apart. Seems like a stretch to think that someone would go so far with the repairs in sleeves in order to simulate use.

Any opinions would be appreciated!

legaleagle92481
12-15-2009, 09:34 PM
I am far from a jersey expert but I know that there are precious few Steelers jerseys in the marketplace and American Memorabilia where the item originated does not have the best reputation for providing an authentic product. See the Ichiro jersey thread from last week as just one example.

hrvatwill
12-16-2009, 12:51 PM
I may have two cents to add on this matter w/o being able to provide a smoking gun...I remember when this jersey was first offered on AMI along with a Deshea Townsend that was advertised as being from the same collector.....what struck me immediately as different with respect to other exemplars that I have seen was the "commonality" of the players, as most "game used" Steelers jerseys that make the rounds just so happen to be of star quality players......so that was a plus in my eyes.....also, in looking at available images from Getty, I recollect being able to pretty much match the Townsend on the basis of the uniquely tailored sleeves, so I am of the opinion that that one was legitmate, which would lend some credibility to the ultimate source of the two jerseys......however, I did come across the same issue at the time as you have outlined with respect to trying to match the Haggans jersey.......so on the basis of the aforementioned, the bottom line for me is that I believe that the jersey is "more likely than not" legitimate.....now whether or not that is enough for me to bid at the level at which it previously sold in the AMI auction, is another issue.....hope that this is at least somewhat helpful.