PDA

View Full Version : O.T:Not good news for the National League!

dodgersfan
12-14-2009, 04:56 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4742072

Being a Dodger fan or any national league team sucks with this trade.

Rudy

Lokee
12-14-2009, 05:26 PM
Nice pick-up but I do question how many more miles DOC has on his arm.

eisenreich8
12-14-2009, 07:35 PM
Maybe I sould like a jilted Sox fan (again) but I was never too revved up to get him. I just felt "eh" about him. Don't know why. Maybe I'll be proven very wrong.

I still think the Phils should have not let Cliff Lee get away.

legaleagle92481
12-14-2009, 09:22 PM
This trade is a waste for Philly. Yes they are getting a former CY Young winner but to do so they are trading another. Lee also is slightly younger than Roy and has less mileage on his arm. Lee was the Phils best pitcher by far in the playoffs last year and without him the Yanks would have swept them in the Series. The reason the Phils lost the Series was because they had only one capable starter which was Lee. Roy is an upgrade but the trade does nothing to address the Phils most pressing issue which remains the rest of the rotation. In a 7 game series Roy can only pitch at most three times and Roy is not enough of an upgrade to sacrifice prospects and the millions of dollars between their salaries. Yes they are getting prospects back from the Mariners but they likely will not be an upgrade over the prospects they are trading. They should have just kept Lee and the prospects and after the season let Lee go for the two compensatory picks and signed Roy. Noone else was getting Roy. The Sox got Lackey instead, the Yanks traded alot for Granderson and even they are not paying Roy AND CC 20 plus million, the Mets don't have the prospects or the willingness to pay that kind of coin and the Angels are just talk and train in Arizona.

eisenreich8
12-14-2009, 09:24 PM
This trade is a waste for Philly. Yes they are getting a former CY Young winner but to do so they are trading another. Lee also is slightly younger than Roy and has less mileage on his arm. Lee was the Phils best pitcher by far in the playoffs last year and without him the Yanks would have swept them in the Series. The reason the Phils lost the Series was because they had only one capable starter which was Lee. Roy is an upgrade but the trade does nothing to address the Phils most pressing issue which remains the rest of the rotation. In a 7 game series Roy can only pitch at most three times and Roy is not enough of an upgrade to sacrifice prospects and the millions of dollars between their salaries. Yes they are getting prospects back from the Mariners but they likely will not be an upgrade over the prospects they are trading. They should have just kept Lee and the prospects and after the season let Lee go for the two compensatory picks and signed Roy. Noone else was getting Roy. The Sox got Lackey instead, the Yanks traded alot for Granderson and even they are not paying Roy AND CC 20 plus million, the Mets don't have the prospects or the willingness to pay that kind of coin and the Angels are just talk and train in Arizona.

Well said!

apfriz
12-14-2009, 10:17 PM
I believe Amaro wanted to keep Lee, but they basically told the Phils they want CC money...the phils arent going to pay that.....they 100% lose lee on the open market....dodgers yanks red sox will all outbid the Phils....by getting Doc, the phils get a one on one oppty to sign doc to an extention without the trouble of a rediculous bidding war. Doc has mileage, but the national league will be far less taxing then playing the AL East all season...

and to say that this doesnt help the phils...Doc basically give the bullpen a rest every fifth day....so it sures up the bullpen simply by having him on the team, Lee was close to this as well, but Holliday has a better track record regardign IP and CG....

I am a Phils fan and I am LOVING this deal....
Doc, Hamels (hopefully with head removed from rear) Haap and Blanton
as a FOURTH starter......i like it!

dcgreg25
12-14-2009, 10:31 PM
It is certainly an interesting trade. I think the Phillies would have loved to keep Lee and likely found out his asking price and could not match it. Thus they turned to Doc who they could lock up on a three-year extension. The trade makes sense from the Phillies side but I dont believe it necessary makes them better as much as just keeps them from having to pay Lee. They believed they could not afford to keep him so they moved him for another ace they knew they could lock up.

At the end of the day it looks like a smart trade for the Phillies if they tried to and could not extend Lee but I don't necessarily believe they are a better team in 2009 with Doc than they were will Lee.

LastingsMilledge85
12-14-2009, 11:26 PM
Being a Mets fan I really don't care because it doesn't affect the Mets simply because they can't compete whether it's Roy Halladay or a career minor leaguer the Mets always find a way to be embarrassed.

flaco1801
12-15-2009, 12:17 AM
its really a lot of money for 5 wins more... i figure lee would win 15 and halliday 20 at most.. keeping lee and halliday is a great achievement. without lee the deal is a wash

apfriz
12-15-2009, 09:36 PM
"its really a lot of money for 5 wins more... i figure lee would win 15 and halliday 20 at most.. keeping lee and halliday is a great achievement. without lee the deal is a wash"

I beg to differ saying that this deal is a wash...after the details came out, i think the deal is even better.....The Phils are only paying Doc 9 million next year with Tor kicking in 6 and the phils received prospects as well...
Locking him up for 3 years is fantastic....furthermore...while Lee pitched awesome in the post-season, you can not dismiss that Doc is arguably the best pitcher in baseball, and we got him for 3 years at a discount (20 mil?) compared to what some of these other pitchers receive.

It is all a matter of opinion obviously, but I am loving it....and having a Doc gamer from 2001 makes me even happier ! because he will be able to
add 'world series champion' to his resume ! Go Phils !