PDA

View Full Version : The Tiger Woods effect

byergo
12-12-2009, 02:35 PM
Are you concerned about the value of any of your valuable game used items blowing up due to the Tiger Woods effect?

Will it be the same as the steroids effect, or even the Michael Vick effect?

kellsox
12-12-2009, 02:44 PM
I think prices and demand for his stuff tumbles. He went from the squeaky clean golden boy to a serial adulterer(bringing up other questions about his character) seemingly overnight. His popularity with the general public is ruined which will spill over to the collectibles market. Oh yea- and he's not going to play golf for a while.
k

zookerman182
12-12-2009, 03:20 PM
perfect time to buy. imo

sox83cubs84
12-12-2009, 03:34 PM
ESPN has reported that Tiger is taking "indefinite leave" from the PGA to try and fix his mess. No word on howlong that "leave" will be, but their are beliefs that it may last long enough to keep him out of the 2010 Masters. I think golf, in general, will suffer, as Tiger was the straw that stirred the drink...with him gone, viewing, interest and collectibles action will all take a big hit.

Dave M.
Chicago area

OaklandAsFan
12-12-2009, 04:13 PM
ESPN has reported that Tiger is taking "indefinite leave" from the PGA to try and fix his mess. No word on howlong that "leave" will be, but their are beliefs that it may last long enough to keep him out of the 2010 Masters. I think golf, in general, will suffer, as Tiger was the straw that stirred the drink...with him gone, viewing, interest and collectibles action will all take a big hit.

Dave M.
Chicago area

I believe I read that viewership was down 40-50% while Tiger was out with his knee injury last year.

legaleagle92481
12-12-2009, 05:19 PM
Now is the time to buy, there is noone in golf to fill the Tiger void. Even if he took the year off (which he probably will not) the majors would probably be won by four different no names that will never win again. It is like with Arod at the start of last season coming off the steroid admission and missing time his stuff declined in value now after he came back played great won the World Series his stuff is hot again or Kobe after the rape case the same thing happened with. The media will move on to other stories and this will fade from the news. Tiger will golf again and eventually break the Majors' record. This scandal will not have a permanent effect as Tiger may have cheated on his wife but he never has been accussed of cheating at golf and he committed no crime besides having very, very bad judgement and at the end of his career he will probably be remembered as the greatest golfer ever. Michael Jordan had gambling issues and many, many known affairs during his career and it did not exactly damage the value of his items.

cohibasmoker
12-12-2009, 06:20 PM
Not that the PGA or Tiger Woods cares about my opinion (s) but for me, Tiger Woods WAS the PGA. If he didn't golf, I didn't watch it.

My wife asked me for a short list of thing (s) I wanted for Christmas. My number item was a Woods signed Master's flag. After the scandal became public, I asked her if she bought it and I was relieved to find out that she didn't. I guess I'll just have to settle for another box of cigars or the Aston Martin.

Jim

STLHAMMER32
12-12-2009, 06:42 PM
This is entirely different than Vick or the steroid scandal.....

With Vick he wasn't allowed to play, jail time might have wrecked a great career....his actions did not allow him to play, basically ending his career.

Steroid scandal effects hall of fame chances and is directly performance related. It calls into question what the player actually achieved and calls into questions awards and such.

With Tiger, this did not make him a better golfer... he will not do prison time. He is still allowed to golf if he wants...this wont call into question any achievements...

People may look at him differently and some may choose not to support him....sometimes seeing that a person is in fact "human" after all helps with the average person however.

Overall, I would expect to see smaller items go down in price with the high-end items staying about the same or the usual auction ups and downs you would normall see.......if you are thinking of selling I would definantly wait..now is the time to BUY.

byergo
12-12-2009, 08:53 PM
I have a hard time seeing anyone paying stupid money for a polo shirt worn once by Tiger. I can't even come close to saying it's time to buy now.

At the same I can't believe those went for tens of thousands of dollars in the first place, so what do I know? When it comes to GU items, sometimes common sense flies out the window. Too bad it's never when I'm selling!

worldchamps
12-13-2009, 12:19 AM
Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, Wilt Chamberlain, Arnold Palmer, Michael Jordan, Joe Namath.....all were know as getting around/womanizers (sp)

It is just with the internet, TMZ, everyone with cell phone cameras this is a story he cant get away from.

What Kobe did was worse , and it has not hurt his value.

And i dont think it is the time to buy, bc there are a lot of people that are "thinking" that....i have not found any values yet....but if anyone is wanting to unload, let me know

David
12-13-2009, 12:42 AM
The answer is to treat athletes as gifted athletes, not heroes or saints.

chakes89
12-13-2009, 01:03 AM
No athlete should ever be looked upon as a role model

dirtyla2000
12-13-2009, 05:45 AM
I think prices and demand for his stuff tumbles. He went from the squeaky clean golden boy to a serial adulterer(bringing up other questions about his character) seemingly overnight. His popularity with the general public is ruined which will spill over to the collectibles market. Oh yea- and he's not going to play golf for a while.
k
WOW, A GUY WHO CHEATED ON HIS WIFE,THE ONLY SURPRISE WAS THE NUMBER.HIS STUFF WONT DROP A CENT! WHEN HE COMES BACK,HE WILL NOT HAVE SKIPPED A BEAT!

cohibasmoker
12-13-2009, 09:26 AM

All of the comments in this thread are legitimate comments as is the above comment. We cannot control what athletes, politicians or other public officials do or don't do. But, there is something we do control - how we spend our money.

If a person wants to spend their money on a person who tortured and murdered defenseless animals, ingested illegal drugs and/or slept with several women with a wife and small children at home, I say that's their choice. This is still America and people have the right to spend their money whatever way they wish.

Just my opinion - I hope I didn't offend anyone.

Jim

allstarsplus
12-13-2009, 09:43 AM

A role model is a person whose exceptional behavior, example, or success is or can be emulated by others, especially by younger people. So, this shouldn't necessarily be mutually exclusive of athletes; however, I would think that if you were so deficient in any part of that definition you shouldn't be a role model even if you are successful.

When you put someone on a "role model" pedestal strictly because they are a great athlete with no consideration to how hard that athlete has persevered and worked towards their athletic goals and success, then you do so within a more narrow interpretation of what a role model may be. It is also important to consider what an athlete role model has accomplished outside of athletics.

Sometimes, there is a clouding in the line between celebrity and role modeling as well as admiration for an athlete versus annointing them a role model.

As a parent, if I am not a role model to my own kids then I am probably deficient as a parent.

allstarsplus
12-13-2009, 10:00 AM
My wife asked me for a short list of thing (s) I wanted for Christmas. My number item was a Woods signed Master's flag. After the scandal became public, I asked her if she bought it and I was relieved to find out that she didn't.
Jim

I don't expect UDA to panic and drop prices in the short term, but demand has fallen off already and your reaction is the typical reaction after a scandal.

I did drop the price of a BIN I have w/ Best Offer for a Tiger Woods cap on eBay, but I didn't accept a $500 offer for the cap as I wasn't willing to take a large loss so for now I will sit on my TW inventory.

Jim, my guess is you will get your best opportunity in the short term on getting that Masters Flag, but I agree with most that demand should come back in the long term and with demand and a low supply the prices should stabilize.

kellsox
12-13-2009, 10:05 AM
''I think it's an honor to be a role model,'' he was quoted as saying in a Business Week article. ''If you are given a chance to be a role model, I think you should always take it because you can influence a person's life in a positive light, and that's what I want to do. That's what it's all about.''
Tiger
Business week article

cohibasmoker
12-13-2009, 12:32 PM
I don't expect UDA to panic and drop prices in the short term, but demand has fallen off already and your reaction is the typical reaction after a scandal.

I did drop the price of a BIN I have w/ Best Offer for a Tiger Woods cap on eBay, but I didn't accept a $500 offer for the cap as I wasn't willing to take a large loss so for now I will sit on my TW inventory.

Jim, my guess is you will get your best opportunity in the short term on getting that Masters Flag, but I agree with most that demand should come back in the long term and with demand and a low supply the prices should stabilize.

Andrew - It's not about the market for his stuff or whether or not things will stabilize, it comes down to a single word - RESPECT. I don't respect the man any longer so the last thing I want to do is buy something that was either owned or signed by Tiger Woods.

Not for nothing, the bond between a husband and wife is a sacred thing. It's based on trust and mutual respect. Tiger didn't cheat on his wife once or twice, it was a dozen times with as many different women. And, that's just the physical part. How about all of the lying and deceit involved with those affairs? Now I ask you, what kind of person does that?

Am I some type of knight in shinning armor? Absolutely NOT - I have my faults just like the next guy but, I control my money and on how I spend it. As such, I won't buy anything Tiger Woods but that's just me. Again, this is America and for now, we are all free to make our own decisions.

Just my opinion,

Jim

allstarsplus
12-13-2009, 12:57 PM
Andrew - It's not about the market for his stuff or whether or not things will stabilize, it comes down to a single word - RESPECT. I don't respect the man any longer so the last thing I want to do is buy something that was either owned or signed by Tiger Woods.

Not for nothing, the bond between a husband and wife is a sacred thing. It's based on trust and mutual respect. Tiger didn't cheat on his wife once or twice, it was a dozen times with as many different women. And, that's just the physical part. How about all of the lying and deceit involved with those affairs? Now I ask you, what kind of person does that?

Am I some type of knight in shinning armor? Absolutely NOT - I have my faults just like the next guy but, I control my money and on how I spend it. As such, I won't buy anything Tiger Woods but that's just me. Again, this is America and for now, we are all free to make our own decisions.

Just my opinion,

JimJim - In steroid scandals, drug problems, criminal issues, moral decline, etc., there will be a cause and effect and demand will suffer, and you are a perfect example of one person that won't ever purchase a Tiger Woods item.

I am not standing up for Tiger Woods. I am sickened by it in so many ways.

In my opinion, he can no longer be a "role model" in my personal definition, and I tried to explain that in my earlier post.

Bondsgloves
12-13-2009, 02:14 PM
The sad thing is that it was well known that Michael Jordan was a womanizer and unfaithful just like or if not worst than Tiger Woods. I don't think it effected his memorabilia, endorsements, or how the public looked at him. I think this will all blow over .

allstarsplus
12-15-2009, 08:40 AM
One of Tiger's doctors is now in a mess of his own:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=4744216

gridman80
12-17-2009, 03:17 PM
Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, Wilt Chamberlain, Arnold Palmer, Michael Jordan, Joe Namath.....all were know as getting around/womanizers (sp)

It is just with the internet, TMZ, everyone with cell phone cameras this is a story he cant get away from.

What Kobe did was worse , and it has not hurt his value.

And i dont think it is the time to buy, bc there are a lot of people that are "thinking" that....i have not found any values yet....but if anyone is wanting to unload, let me know

Just to set the record straight Namath was a womanizer while single and was faithful to his wife, who left him for her acting teacher...Joe was broken hearted......Joe also told a story from when he had Muhammad Ali on his TV talk show...Ali preached on the show that he was a man of faith, and happily married etc.....but Joe said he would never invite him back because he hit on every woman on the set.......maybe Tiger is going for Wilt's 20K record...I am sure Tiger's crew is paying off the baby mama's too..

both-teams-played-hard
12-17-2009, 03:48 PM
Just to set the record straight Namath was a womanizer while single and was faithful to his wife, who left him for her acting teacher...Joe was broken hearted......Joe also told a story from when he had Muhammad Ali on his TV talk show...Ali preached on the show that he was a man of faith, and happily married etc.....but Joe said he would never invite him back because he hit on every woman on the set.......maybe Tiger is going for Wilt's 20K record...I am sure Tiger's crew is paying off the baby mama's too..
True. I don't think Wilt was ever married, but I may be wrong. Wilt made a reason to invent the 3-second rule, the foul lane and many others. Also, I'm sure he was patient zero for some random venereal disease.
Eldrick is a "womanizer"? Is that another definition for "john"? I hear Clinton Poortass came to Eldrick's defense. And Ron Aretits...You got some real winners in your corner, Eldrick.

How many PGA majors?
How many STDs?
How many abortions paid for?
How many Lil' Eldricks out there?
How many jimhats refused?