PDA

View Full Version : Nats sign Pudge!

Vintagedeputy
12-10-2009, 03:44 PM
Just read that the Nats signed 38 year old Pudge Rodriguez. I hope he still something left in the tank. He should be a good fit to guide these young arms.

Got Brian Bruney from the Yanks too....Rizzo is dealing!

WadeInBmore
12-10-2009, 04:02 PM
When I heard that the Nats got Pudge I was actually overjoyed! The Nats have acquired two players that I desperately wanted the O's to sign LOL (Pudge and Dunn). I hope he can do to the Nats what he did for the Marlins. I wonder if this could mean they are putting Strasburg (sp) on the fast track to the bigs?! Every year the Nats seem to add another interesting piece to their puzzle...I hope this one helps in every aspect for them. Makes me wonder if they will finish with a better record than the O's this season...also, makes me wonder if they could potentially be one of next years surprises!!!

wade

cjclong
12-10-2009, 04:19 PM
I was hoping Pudge would finish his career with the Rangers when he returned last year. But with Hicks financial situation and the uncertainty that brings I understand his taking the better financial offer from the Nats. Still would have been nice for him to finish in Texas.

BULBUS
12-10-2009, 04:24 PM
2 yrs, 6 mil is stupid. The Nats could have spent the money wiser.

jdr3
12-10-2009, 04:30 PM
I'm just glad they owners are spending some $.

allstarsplus
12-10-2009, 07:04 PM
2 yrs, 6 mil is stupid. The Nats could have spent the money wiser.

Interesting it is another Boras client. Boras won't be making a big impact in this Free Agent market.

Yes, $6 mill was overpaying for a backup who is 38 years old and hopefully IRod proves all the doubters wrong and gets 150 hits this year!

LastingsMilledge85
12-10-2009, 10:38 PM
I rather have Wil, he filled in nicely both years for the Nats, was a great person (a real geuine guy), and did so much for the Nats' charities. He will be missed.

allstarsplus
12-10-2009, 11:17 PM
I rather have Wil, he filled in nicely both years for the Nats, was a great person (a real geuine guy), and did so much for the Nats' charities. He will be missed.

Wil is a tremendous person in so many ways. I have thought the same possibility that there may not be a place for him now.

I don't know if I told you that I bought Wil's catchers gear from this past season, and had hoped to do the same for many years looking forward.

dirtyla2000
12-11-2009, 04:21 AM
Funny how no one mentions he was an other roid head! Maybe he will guide those great young arms to the medicine cabinet!

cjclong
12-11-2009, 09:02 AM
He guided the young Marlin and Tigers pitchers to the World Series, not the medicine cabinet.

dirtyla2000
12-11-2009, 07:10 PM
He guided the young Marlin and Tigers pitchers to the World Series, not the medicine cabinet.
support the cheat,classic!

Rboitano
12-11-2009, 08:10 PM
How does everyone always forget about Pudge and steroids? You hear the media saying he is a first ballot HOF'er, but what about those steroid allegations? He dodges that everytime, its like the one player who somehow has gotten away with it.

WadeInBmore
12-11-2009, 08:59 PM
How does everyone always forget about Pudge and steroids? You hear the media saying he is a first ballot HOF'er, but what about those steroid allegations? He dodges that everytime, its like the one player who somehow has gotten away with it.

Perhaps its only because they were "allegations" that he gets away with it (i don't recall if his name was mentioned in the Mitchell Report or not). As time continues to go by it seems like people are gradually excepting of the steriod era and its players AND their mistakes/bad judgement. Though Pudge has had an outstanding career (IMO) he is easily lost in the mix amongst former MVPs, Cy Yound Award Winners, 500 HR Club Members, and the 3000 hit club members that have been proven to be guilty of the hanus crime known as juicing.

wade

Rboitano
12-11-2009, 09:46 PM
The Mitchell report was basically bias and useless. Their was no Red Sox players in the report, even though now we know that Ortiz, Manny and Pedro were on the survey testing in 2003.

legaleagle92481
12-12-2009, 02:09 AM
I think its great. Did they overpay? Of course they did but noone is going to the Nats if the money is equal or lesser than other offers. And rather than be like the Pirates it is great to see a small market team adding payroll and veteran players rather than trading its players for other teams' failed prospects. He has been around a very long time and working with Stratsburg and Washington's other young pitchers will help them alot and there are alot worse catchers out there than a past his prime Pudge so he defintely has value. As far as roids there is no hard proof like there is for the players who have dominated the Roid news. Did he use? I am confident that he did but the real question is how many guys during that era did not use? Probably very few stars so personally I cannot kill any of those guys. The worst thing that could happen would be to omit the guys who have been suspected like Pudge from the Hall and induct someone that everyone thinks is clean then a few years later find out that such hall of famer was in fact a user. And as an FYI Pedro Martinez was never outed for failing the survey test as someone said in this thread. They outed Arod (who admitted to using while with Texas as we all know), Sosa, Manny and Ortiz.