PDA

View Full Version : What would you rather have, prices being equal?

MLB_Authentic
12-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Say you had the choice of these two items for the same price. Which would you choose and why?

Joe Mauer Autographed MLB Baseball IronClad/MLB Authenticated

Jason Kubel Game Used 2008 Bat MLB Authenticated and photomatched to at least 1 Homerun.

Your thoughts?

bronx_burner
12-09-2009, 06:54 PM
Wouldn't even have to think about it. I'd take the bat. In fact I'd take the bat, even even if it cost more than the ball. Joe Mauer will be signing baseballs for the next 50 years. That bat is tied to a specific moment(s) in an actual game. Really no contest in my mind.

Manram
12-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Bat for sure. The other is just an auto

legaleagle92481
12-09-2009, 08:10 PM
The bat hands down. These days autographs even of a great player like Joe are a dime a dozen any collector can simply go on Ironclads website and order one or go on ebay and find several that originated with Ironclad. An autographed baseball is held by a player for a few seconds and the player has zero personal connection with it it is exactly the same as the other few hundred he signed at that signing. A gamer is an item that was made for that player, that in many cases he taped or added pine tar to himself and that he had in his hand when he made his living at the plate. The bat in question was the object that a player used to hit a home run and you can't top that. Even the greatest power hitter will hit less home runs and hence even if he uses a different bat for each of them will have less homer bats than the amount of baseballs signed at one of several signings a player participates in during a year. It has been estimated that even Babe Ruth who died in 1948 signed over a million autographs imagine how many today's players probably will sign in their lives.

MLB_Authentic
12-09-2009, 08:20 PM
I agree with most of what you guys are saying. However, Mauer Ironclad Balls are very hard to find now that he is no longer with Ironclad. He recently signed with IMG and it is unclear if he will be signing in the future.

Thanks for the opinions so far.

joelsabi
12-09-2009, 09:15 PM
I agree with most of what you guys are saying. However, Mauer Ironclad Balls are very hard to find now that he is no longer with Ironclad. He recently signed with IMG and it is unclear if he will be signing in the future.

i see three Mauer Ironclad balls on ebay. Should not be hard to locate in the future. Unless you favor Mauer in your collection, take the bat instead.

spartakid
12-09-2009, 10:29 PM
definitely bat

mariner_gamers
12-09-2009, 10:31 PM
Bat

scottanservitz
12-09-2009, 10:31 PM
Bat, no question.

kylehess10
12-09-2009, 11:02 PM
How many autographs will Mauer sign in his lifetime?

How many photomatched Kubel homerun bats will be used and available on the market?

BAT

legaleagle92481
12-09-2009, 11:46 PM

I wouldn't worry about Mauer no longer signing because he signed with IMG. IMG also reps the Mannings and as we all know Peyton and Eli are signing machines.

xpress34
12-10-2009, 12:18 AM
It has been estimated that even Babe Ruth who died in 1948 signed over a million autographs

Legal -

1st, let me say that no, I don't have it in for you (I say that since this will be the 2nd time I have questioned something you wrote)

2nd, where did you get that stat? Ruth died at 53 years of age - less the fact he Debuted at 19 years old - so he had 34 years of people wanting his auto.

1,000,000 / 34 = 29,411 Autos per YEAR

29,411 / 365 = 2,673 Autos per DAY

2,673 / 24 = 111 Autos per HOUR

Which would mean that from the day he made his debut to the day he died he would have had to sign 1.85 Autos per MINUTE for EVERY single minute (including his playing time, sleeping, etc) to hit the 1,000,000 mark...

I only jumped on this because in our society today, 1,000,000 doesn't have the grandeur that t once did and if you do the math on a stat like that, you'll realize it is very likely impossible. Simply to COUNT to 1,000,000 (saying one number per second) without a break would take you almost two straight years (1.9 years).

I hope this is taken in the vein it is intended.

- Chris

Rob L
12-10-2009, 12:42 AM
Definitely the bat!!

Rob L
12-10-2009, 12:50 AM
Legal -

1st, let me say that no, I don't have it in for you (I say that since this will be the 2nd time I have questioned something you wrote)

2nd, where did you get that stat? Ruth died at 53 years of age - less the fact he Debuted at 19 years old - so he had 34 years of people wanting his auto.

Which would mean that from the day he made his debut to the day he died he would have had to sign 1.85 Autos per MINUTE for EVERY single minute (including his playing time, sleeping, etc) to hit the 1,000,000 mark...

I only jumped on this because in our society today, 1,000,000 doesn't have the grandeur that t once did and if you do the math on a stat like that, you'll realize it is very likely impossible. Simply to COUNT to 1,000,000 (saying one number per second) without a break would take you almost two straight years (1.9 years).

- Chris

True, maybe a million is a bit much, but that number has been floated because he loved to sign autographs. The cool thing about Ruth autographs is that anybody that wants one can pretty much get one (if the price is right) and they will appreciate in value. I just sold a 1934 signed Yankees ball with Ruth on the sweetspot that was heavily toned and the autographs ranked from a 1 to 4 (Ruth 4, Gehrig 2) for $2200 after I had bought it two years ago for $1200. I've been offered upto $2800 for a Ruth signed grocery receipt that I bought for $900 four years ago. Heck with the Mauer, buy a Ruth!!!!

10thMan
12-10-2009, 03:14 AM
The BAT, no question. Interested in a favorites players legit Auto? like we say around here, do your Homework. Study his signature, learn what to look for as far as signing traits, or characteristics. Study the way they start & end each letter, the way (or direction) "loops" are made on certain letters, even the size of certain letters. I have a Mcgwire signed `87 Donruss Rookie card with his full name signed "Mark David Mcgwire" Totally cool & I believe very rare.

I have quite a few photos of Bats, signatures of my favorite Players. I dont trust most COA`S, I really dont care who wrote or typed them!

Good Luck,

Sean

xpress34
12-10-2009, 08:18 AM
True, maybe a million is a bit much, but that number has been floated because he loved to sign autographs. The cool thing about Ruth autographs is that anybody that wants one can pretty much get one (if the price is right) and they will appreciate in value. I just sold a 1934 signed Yankees ball with Ruth on the sweetspot that was heavily toned and the autographs ranked from a 1 to 4 (Ruth 4, Gehrig 2) for $2200 after I had bought it two years ago for $1200. I've been offered upto $2800 for a Ruth signed grocery receipt that I bought for $900 four years ago. Heck with the Mauer, buy a Ruth!!!!

Rob -

I'd love to own a Ruth someday for the collection... doesn't have to be pristine, just want to have one. As far as the 1,000,000 - there may be over 1,000,000 Ruth autos floating around what with the forgeries and secretarial sigs and such. Hell, who knows how many secretaries he had signing for him??? ;)

I agree on the bat. As far as Mauer, I got him here in Colorado during Inter League play a couple of years ago on a unique piece - my Heart of the Hide, Gold Glove Model Catcher's Mitt that now has around 40-50 MLB catchers (current and former) on it.

- Chris

joelsabi
12-10-2009, 08:30 AM
Legal -

- Chris

Chris you really are a stat man. i figured that it would be 3.8 year of his life to sign a million sigs @ 5 sec/sig

justinwc80
12-10-2009, 09:43 AM
I was interested to read the number crunching on the Ruth, I just purchased a Ruth signature from the latest Hunt auction and got a 3 x 5 photo with a JSA authenticated signature grading 8/10, its a beauty and at 2,000 I figured it was a pretty decent deal for the quality although after the buyers premium it came in over 2300, but its one of those non game used items that I will keep forever.

legaleagle92481
12-10-2009, 09:46 AM
Legal -

- Chris

Your math is off big time. I got this figure from Kevin Keating's newsletter on his website. Kevin puts the estimate at two million (196 signatures per day average over only 28 years) and assumes only 1/2 are still in existance, so that is where I got one milion. Here's the link: http://www.qualityautographs.com/newsletter.php?s=4&np=8 It is on page 3 of the newsletter posted on 12-12-2008.

joelsabi
12-10-2009, 10:02 AM
Your math is off big time. I got this figure from Kevin Keating's newsletter on his website. Kevin puts the estimate at two million (196 signatures per day average over only 28 years) and assumes only 1/2 are still in existance, so that is where I got one milion. Here's the link: http://www.qualityautographs.com/newsletter.php?s=4&np=8 It is on page 3 of the newsletter posted on 12-12-2008.

i side with chris on this. the math is fine.

you cannot believe everything that is written on the internet.

i doubt someone would spend 3.8 years of their life signing things. even if he was a speedy sinner (2.5 sec/sig) and put the 50% discount would be 1.9 years.

earlywynnfan
12-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Time to let a math major step in.

Chris, go back over your numbers. 29,411/365=80.something.

I trust Keating as much as any other auto dealer, but I have to say, I find it hard to believe Ruth, as often as he signed, signed an average of 196 autos every single day of his life! Think of all the days he was sick, or "in bed *ahem*" One day of not signing means about 400 sigs the very next day, and this was before auto shows.

Also, I think the typo "speedy sinner" is great!!

ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

legaleagle92481
12-10-2009, 10:59 AM
Everytime Ruth signed his name counts as an autograph for collecting purposes, including when he did so for personal reasons. Checks, receipts and documents count just as much as baseballs. You see these items in auctions and offered for sale by some of the largest and most trusted dealers in the hobby all the time. Leaving Mr. Keating's math aside. If Ruth AVERAGED (some days, more some days less, some days none) only 100 signatures a day for all purposes, that would be 36,500 signatures a year. It would have taken him 27.5 years to sign a million.