PDA

View Full Version : OT: Ebay asking for info???

kudu
12-09-2009, 01:11 PM
Anyone else get this screen? I tried logging into my ebay account this morning and I got this:

SSN and ATM PIN?? Plus the grammar under "Enter your information" is wrong.

momen55
12-09-2009, 01:17 PM
scam spam. don't answer. i get those with paypal also.

kudu
12-09-2009, 01:22 PM
Its not a spam. I went directly to the Ebay main website, clicked on the top right where it says "My Ebay", which brought me to the login screen, I entered my user name and password, and this screen came up. So it is an official Ebay webpage.

eisenreich8
12-09-2009, 01:30 PM
Still not legit. Type in the web address nice and fresh in your browser.

No one, especially eBay, should ask you for your social. Red Flag Numero Uno.

eisenreich8
12-09-2009, 01:32 PM
"We have noticed an increasing fraudulent activity lately".

Red Glag Dos. This is not even proper grammar. Thieves; clever, but not well-schooled.

eisenreich8
12-09-2009, 01:33 PM
ATM pin? NEVER!

eisenreich8
12-09-2009, 01:34 PM
"We have noticed an increasing fraudulent activity lately".

Red Glag Dos. This is not even proper grammar. Thieves; clever, but not well-schooled.

Should read RED FLAG. Cripes, no more caffeine for my manic fingers.........

russyurk
12-09-2009, 01:34 PM
This is totally a scam. Ebay has no need whatsoever for our social security numbers. Ebay has the following message:

Report Spoof Email by Forwarding It to spoof@ebay.com

tbone90
12-09-2009, 01:45 PM
When I logged into my ebay account today I got the same ole page I get every day.

SSN and ATM PIN? ...that's smells...REALLY BAD!

legaleagle92481
12-09-2009, 01:59 PM
Why would you give anyone your ATM pin number? What purpose would that serve related to buying and selling items online? Or your SSN? It is defintely a scam don't fall for it.

commando
12-09-2009, 01:59 PM
C'mon, man!

kudu
12-09-2009, 02:23 PM
Eisenreich, I took your advice and manually entered www.ebay.com into the browser, logged in, and I didn't get the screen. So looks like all is well now. I know I should never give out that kind of info on the internet, which made me wonder why I got that screen because I didn't use any kind of link from an email or anywhere else to login to my account. I logged in from the main Ebay webpage. So maybe I have a virus on my computer or something. I sent an email to Ebay Spoof to let them know what happened. I'll see what they have to say. Thank you all for your help.

eisenreich8
12-09-2009, 03:57 PM
Nice to hear good news, kudu, and also glad you didn't fall victim to them. It's pretty safe to say that others do fall for it, as it looks so official. Notifying eBay spoof was also key.

I just wish the perps, when caught, could really be made to suffer.

karamaxjoe
12-09-2009, 04:21 PM
I can't say I've ever heard of this scenario before. We've all received spoof ebay and paypal emails from the scammers, but how can this situation happen when you try to log in through ebays website? Has anyone encountered this situation before? I'm not talking about logging in through a spoof email, but logging in through ebay.

bigtruck260
12-09-2009, 04:58 PM
The question I would have asked is -

Did you access eBay via an email? If the spoof-er sent you an eBay look-alike email and you accessed the site via that medium, BAM - there is your answer.

Glad you didn't fall victim - even the smartest people have done it.

Dave

bigtruck260
12-09-2009, 04:59 PM
and Karamax joe - I am just echoing your sentiments -

NEVER heard of a spoof being accessed directly through the Internet - only via a fake email....

D

kudu
12-10-2009, 01:04 AM
No email was used whatsoever, nor was any link from any other website. I logged onto the internet, went to Ebay website, logged into my account, and poof, this screen came up. And I tried logging in several times. No word from Ebay Spoof yet. I'm thinking it might be a virus/spyware thing on my computer.

godwulf
12-10-2009, 08:28 PM
I just wish the perps, when caught, could really be made to suffer.

Have you read or heard about the people who call themselves "scam-baters"? NPR has done a few good stories about them, including one long story that I can't find a link to, in which some self-described computer geeks and scam-baters turned the tables on some African computer scammers - eventually convincing a couple of them to go to a dangerous area of another African country, where they ended up homeless and hungry, spending the little money they could beg on computer access to contact the people who they thought were going to make them rich, and one of the scammers even caught a bullet, as I recall. Grimly funny.