PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going to the Red Sox yard sale?

scrinjun
12-09-2009, 01:06 PM
I registered but I have not gotten notice yet, not that I think I'll win. Would love to hear about it if nothing else.

legaleagle92481
12-09-2009, 01:11 PM
What is the Red Sox yard sale? Is it an auction? If so can you bid online?

yanks12025
12-09-2009, 01:15 PM
legaleagle92481,
It's held at the Boston dump every year because that where the stuff belongs.;)

Tedw9
12-09-2009, 05:23 PM
Where did you register? I've been waiting on an email about it so I could register. I've been looking forward to that since they did it last year.

scrinjun
12-09-2009, 05:23 PM
What is the Red Sox yard sale? Is it an auction? If so can you bid online?

No, not an auction. I wish it was. It is held at Fenway Park, this will be the second year, and you have to register and be chosen to attend.

scrinjun
12-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Where did you register? I've been waiting on an email about it so I could register. I've been looking forward to that since they did it last year.

They sent me an email last week about registering. Would have mentioned it here if I had known others were interested.

scrinjun
12-09-2009, 05:28 PM
legaleagle92481,
It's held at the Boston dump every year because that where the stuff belongs.;)

Hey legaleagle, can I sue that guy for his remark? :D

kellsox
12-09-2009, 05:51 PM
I went last year- I would actually be more surprised if you didn't get selected to attend. They are selling stuff that is just taking up storage space. I showed up an hour early than my scheduled time and they let me in with no problem. When I went the crowd wasn't that big and I believe they opened it up to the public the following day anyway. The had a box of bats- all cracked and not exactly priced to move. They also had gigantic boxes of individually bagged GU jerseys dating back to the early 90s that were being sold grab bag style. In addition there were signs, seats, bricks, old promotional give aways, media guides, programs, etc...

scrinjun
12-09-2009, 06:26 PM
I went last year- I would actually be more surprised if you didn't get selected to attend. They are selling stuff that is just taking up storage space. I showed up an hour early than my scheduled time and they let me in with no problem. When I went the crowd wasn't that big and I believe they opened it up to the public the following day anyway. The had a box of bats- all cracked and not exactly priced to move. They also had gigantic boxes of individually bagged GU jerseys dating back to the early 90s that were being sold grab bag style. In addition there were signs, seats, bricks, old promotional give aways, media guides, programs, etc...

SUPRISE! I just got the email notice that I was not selected. But I'm still not surprised.

kellsox
12-09-2009, 06:29 PM
If you live near fenway and really want to go, just show up, the worst they can do is say no- things seemed pretty lax there last year.

emann
12-09-2009, 07:36 PM
SUPRISE! I just got the email notice that I was not selected. But I'm still not surprised.

I didn't get selected either...

MJB14
12-10-2009, 08:21 AM
I didn't get selected either...

That makes 3 of us

matt
12-10-2009, 03:31 PM
I would point out that we are still seeing the eBay backwash of all those obscure '90's and 2000's no-name jerseys they sold last year. Many listing even cite the Yard Sale as the origin. Thsi has pushed down prices for legit common Sox jerseys quite low. Did not hear many stories about people pulling out star jerseys from the grab bags.

Don't get me wrong, if I did not live in San Francisco, I would definitely go. But I think Steiner has mined all the "good stuff" before the doors open. I am sure you all noticed that this year Steiner has "syndicated" much of their 2009 Red Sox inventory to all the other auction houses.Grey Flannel had a bunch last night, as did the GUU auction where I bought a 2008 home plate (very cool and very heavy).

Matt

Matt

Lokee
12-10-2009, 04:42 PM
The grab bags where only 50.00 so it's not like I expect a Mo Vaughn gamer or a Andre Dawson. Still for 50.00 a common player is a steal at that price.

Missed it last year but bought about 10 un-opened bags from a source. The best player was a Tim Wakefield worst was a Robert Person.

emann
12-11-2009, 12:32 PM
Actually, I saw a number of people open bags while outside Fenway and pull a number of star players (I saw Lowell, Tek, Ortiz, a Jim Rice coach jersey, etc)... I think Steiner actually didn't have access to most of the stuff from the early 90's, it was probably in deep storage (and since the Sox never really sold jerseys off until Steiner era, they had a ton of older stuff). Above the jerseys was a sign listing all the star players that were included in the bags and it was just about everybody. I was there at the end of the night and one dealer bought an entire bin of jersey grab bags, probably 400+ (I assume this is the guy who keeps listing them on ebay)...

I pulled Wakefield, Jack Clark, Carlos Pena & a 2004 game issued (no name, but from the Series year).

The bat selection was pretty bad though, very expensive and mostly common players ($175 for a broken Kelly Shoppach or Wily Mo Pena).

Who knows what they'd have this year anyway, I assume last year wiped out most of the jerseys.

soxbats
12-11-2009, 02:26 PM
Can you tell me the date of this extravaganza?

Thanks

emann
12-11-2009, 04:33 PM
Sunday, but they limit attendance, running it like a contest that you need to be chosen in a drawing to attend.

If you win, they send you a confirmation email and you show ID to get in.