PDA

View Full Version : Adding a signature to a team signed ball

cjclong
12-09-2009, 11:33 AM
I have seen two different balls offered that have have the signatures of the 2009 Yankee team. However each appears to have a major player missing who played in the World Series. On one it is Johnny Damon and on the other it is A J Burnett. I plan to get one as I will otherwise never get all the signatures. I would like to get the missing player to sign the ball. Anybody had any experience in getting a signature added to a signed ball so its not messed up. I don't know what kind of pens were used, etc. I know this might better go on autographs, but I think this forum has a wider view. Any suggestions appreciated.

joelsabi
12-09-2009, 12:43 PM
I have seen two different balls offered that have have the signatures of the 2009 Yankee team. However each appears to have a major player missing who played in the World Series. On one it is Johnny Damon and on the other it is A J Burnett. I plan to get one as I will otherwise never get all the signatures. I would like to get the missing player to sign the ball. Anybody had any experience in getting a signature added to a signed ball so its not messed up. I don't know what kind of pens were used, etc. I know this might better go on autographs, but I think this forum has a wider view. Any suggestions appreciated.

no experience but i would try to locate a specific place on the baseball where i would like to add the signature. determine whether damon and burnett signature will fit into those spots. ask them politely to sign in those specific spots should you buy the ball.

legaleagle92481
12-09-2009, 01:01 PM
The hard part will be getting the missing player to sign. Neither is likely to do a public signing and I wouldn't carry the ball around with me hoping to get the signature at the stadium or spring training or in a hotel lobby or wherever. Either or both may do a Steiner private signing at some point but if Damon does not resign and goes to say the Giants even that is unlikely.

David
12-09-2009, 04:00 PM
Many collectors have gotten multi-signed baseballs signed one player by one, show by show, so it's been done. I would think a key is to make sure the inks match up reasonably, so it doesn't look like a sore thumb.

TNTtoys
12-09-2009, 05:21 PM

I have a similar experience. I bought a team signed jersey and have since added many signatures to it. I had the same concerns.

How I approached it was I went back to the original seller and asked what exact pen was used to sign the jersey. They told me specifics. I went out and bought one. I then showed up at each signing with that pen so that the inks would match perfectly.

platinum1
12-09-2009, 08:00 PM
I would get the one with the missing Johnny Damon. Because Damon is by far the easiest autograph to get. He is a real nice guy and will sign everything and anything. A.J wont sign and if he does it wont look like nice unless you pay for it.

legaleagle92481
12-09-2009, 08:15 PM
I would get the one with the missing Johnny Damon. Because Damon is by far the easiest autograph to get. He is a real nice guy and will sign everything and anything. A.J wont sign and if he does it wont look like nice unless you pay for it.
How does the guy get the signature though? You are talking about a baseball that goes for a few thousand dollars not exactly something to carry around to try to get signed. I don't believe he or A.J. for that matter has done a sit down signing open to the public in years. Either signature is going to be hard to add. His best bet is probably a Steiner private signing that he will have to pay alot for.

platinum1
12-09-2009, 10:16 PM
How does the guy get the signature though? You are talking about a baseball that goes for a few thousand dollars not exactly something to carry around to try to get signed. I don't believe he or A.J. for that matter has done a sit down signing open to the public in years. Either signature is going to be hard to add. His best bet is probably a Steiner private signing that he will have to pay alot for.
I live in Chicago and I get my autographs at the team hotels or at the ball park. Johnny Damon signs all the time at the hotel.
One year I was able to get Orlando Hernandez to sign my 2005 White Sox world series at the hotel. Thats the way I was able to get most of the 2005 team.

legaleagle92481
12-09-2009, 11:44 PM
Yeah I know you can get him at the team hotel and stuff I mean though isn't it extremely risky to carry around a baseball that you paid a couple of grand for to those places hoping to secure an autograph?

joelsabi
12-10-2009, 07:23 PM
not sure what baseball you are after but i like the jsa write up of the team baseball. never seen them before with the listing of names on each panel.