PDA

View Full Version : "Phillies" 60's script for Restoration Project:

cohibasmoker
12-07-2009, 09:58 AM
I am debating on restoring a 1962 Phillies road flannel and I am looking for either an authentic "PHILLIES" script that was taken off of a 1960's Phillies flannel or if I have to, I'd buy a Mitchell and Ness reproduction.

If I get what I need, can you guys recommend anyone who would be able to "professionally" apply it? Thanx,

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

both-teams-played-hard
12-07-2009, 11:54 AM
Is there an outline of a patch for the PHILLIES' crest?
I thought (maybe wrong) that these flannels had PHILLIES chain-stitched directly to the front and were almost impossible to remove. Also, it doesn't seem a restoration would be possible.
Remember that guy Howard Wolf, who used to post on this forum a long, long, long, time ago?
I bet he knows...

cohibasmoker
12-07-2009, 08:52 PM
Is there an outline of a patch for the PHILLIES' crest?
I thought (maybe wrong) that these flannels had PHILLIES chain-stitched directly to the front and were almost impossible to remove. Also, it doesn't seem a restoration would be possible.
Remember that guy Howard Wolf, who used to post on this forum a long, long, long, time ago?
I bet he knows...

Warren, I seem to recall a guy named Howard Wolf but as the famous movie quote goes, "Howard doesn't live here any more Ms. Torrence".

The "Phillies" logo to the best of my knowledge wasn't ever applied directly to their jerseys. I guess the best way to describe it would be the chainstitched PHILLIES is actually stitched onto a piece of material which is slightly larger than the boarders of the PHILLIES. This boarder is then secured to the shirt in a traditional zig-zag sewing pattern.

I took a close-up of the Tides jersey (See scan 1) and even when the Phillies sent their jerseys down to the minors, they took the time to apply the "Tides" logo the same way they did it with the parent club. It's not often a Chris Short jersey comes along and I feeling that I am going to leave it as it is.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

both-teams-played-hard
12-07-2009, 10:38 PM
The "Phillies" logo to the best of my knowledge wasn't ever applied directly to their jerseys. I guess the best way to describe it would be the chainstitched PHILLIES is actually stitched onto a piece of material which is slightly larger than the boarders of the PHILLIES. This boarder is then secured to the shirt in a traditional zig-zag sewing pattern.

Yes, Dave Grob e-mailed me and confirmed this information from Phillies flannels in his own collection.

The TIDES shirt is sweet!
Please, please leave that flannel alone. It would be a true waste to "restore" it back to a Phillies piece.
It's a heckuva minor league relic...