PDA

View Full Version : hall of fame question???

jobathenut
12-07-2009, 02:22 AM
My mom asked me what i think was a good question tonight.And i did'nt really know the ansewer to it.So i thought i would ask you guys.Does a player get to choose what team they get inducted (for any sports) hall of fame.Or does the league of that sport tell them.I guess during bowling tonight the conversation came up as they were watching the vikings/cardnals game.And they were debating which team farve would go into the hall as.I told her i think the player get's a choice if the player played for the teams close to the same period of time.But in the case of farve,i don't think he would have a choice.That he would have to go in as a packer as he made his fame there.I think i remember this coming up for a baseball player.I think it was wade boggs,that he wanted to go in as a devil ray but the league told him he had to go in as a yankee.And i just was'nt 100% sure so i would like to hear what you guys think.This thread is'nt just about farve going into the hall.I would like to hear what all sports policys are about this:)

joelsabi
12-07-2009, 03:05 AM
My mom asked me what i think was a good question tonight.And i did'nt really know the ansewer to it.So i thought i would ask you guys.Does a player get to choose what team they get inducted (for any sports) hall of fame.Or does the league of that sport tell them.I guess during bowling tonight the conversation came up as they were watching the vikings/cardnals game.And they were debating which team farve would go into the hall as.I told her i think the player get's a choice if the player played for the teams close to the same period of time.But in the case of farve,i don't think he would have a choice.That he would have to go in as a packer as he made his fame there.I think i remember this coming up for a baseball player.I think it was wade boggs,that he wanted to go in as a devil ray but the league told him he had to go in as a yankee.And i just was'nt 100% sure so i would like to hear what you guys think.This thread is'nt just about farve going into the hall.I would like to hear what all sports policys are about this:)

the hall of fame decides. i think it used to be the choice of the player but it changed when some players may have asked compensation from a team if the player chose their team. winfield for some reason comes to mind. correct me if i am wrong.

staindsox
12-07-2009, 08:16 AM
Yep...they will listen to the players wishes if there are two obvious choices (like Clemens if he were to get in). Winfield was shopping his hat in 2001.

joelsabi
12-07-2009, 01:34 PM
Yep...they will listen to the players wishes if there are two obvious choices (like Clemens if he were to get in). Winfield was shopping his hat in 2001.

What would Clemens prefer? Houston?

Mark17
12-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Baseball and football are different, I believe. With baseball, players are associated with a particular team, as their plaque has an image of them wearing a particular team's hat. In football, the players' busts don't typically have them in helmets, so they aren't as strongly identified with a particular team.

I do recall reading that Marcus Allen wanted to "go in as a Chief" because of the way Al Davis had treated him his last years in Oakland. But I don't think there is an official team designation for football inductees.

staindsox
12-07-2009, 02:51 PM
What would Clemens prefer? Houston?

IF he were to get in, Boston would be the most obvious choice, but a case could be made for New York since he played there 6 years and won two rings with them.

Kind of like how Gary Carter could have either gone in as an Expo or Met, but certainly not as a Giant or Dodger. If there is a tossup like that, the Hall has said they would consider a player's feelings/preference.

worldchamps
12-07-2009, 10:09 PM
With football you go in under every team you played for, but bolded under the team/s with significant roles.

IE Emmitt Smith will go in as a Cowboy and a Cardinal, but DALLAS COWBOYS will be bolded.

Mike Ditka is in as a Chicago Bear and Dallas Cowboy, but Dallas is not BOLDED.....this is always a big debate here locally if you think Ditka should be on your autographed Dallas Cowboy Hall of Fame items.

corsairs22
12-07-2009, 10:14 PM
I forgot that Boggs played for the Yankees.

Chris78
12-07-2009, 10:34 PM
The first person that came to my mind with regards to this topic is Reggie White. Reggie White played his best years with the Philadelphia Eagles, but I think the HOF put him in as a Green Bay Packer where he did win a Super Bowl. I disagree with this choice as he should be in as a Eagle based on his stats. Any thoughts on this one?

jobathenut
12-09-2009, 05:33 AM
Thanks for the insight everyone.And thanks mark 17- i forgot that football its bust only so its really not the same thing for them.And i was asking my brother jason about this tonight and he said i was right.It was wade boggs that wanted to go in as a devil ray but the league stepped in and told him he could'nt do that.That he had to go in actaully (as i thought it was a yankee) as a red sox.So i was right about the player but wrong about the team.But i was right that boggs did play for the yankees.:)

ironmanfan
12-09-2009, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the insight everyone.And thanks mark 17- i forgot that football its bust only so its really not the same thing for them.And i was asking my brother jason about this tonight and he said i was right.It was wade boggs that wanted to go in as a devil ray but the league stepped in and told him he could'nt do that.That he had to go in actaully (as i thought it was a yankee) as a red sox.So i was right about the player but wrong about the team.But i was right that boggs did play for the yankees.:)

The "league" has nothing to do with the Hall of Fame.........

staindsox
12-09-2009, 10:21 AM
It was wade boggs that wanted to go in as a devil ray but the league stepped in and told him he could'nt do that.

Not true. I was working at the Hall in 2001 when Winfield got in. This was the year the change was made. Boggs wasn't elected until 2005. The Hall just had to reinforce the rule with Boggs in 2005.

Chris

legaleagle92481
12-09-2009, 10:40 AM
With the way players change teams today it is time to eliminate the caps for players who played a significant role on more than one team in the baseball hall of fame and instead bold the teams that such a player played a significant role on. Many likely or current hall of famers like Manny, Maddux, Randy Johnson, Arod, Jeff Kent, Wade Boggs, Gary Carter, Roberto Almoar, Rickey Henderson, Curt Schilling, Dave Winfield, Paul Molitor and Clemens played major roles on more than one team and the fans of the team other than the one whose cap he is depicted in are kind of slighted. As a Mets fan I felt that way when Carter went in as an Expo instead of a Met. But for those players who played a significant role for only one team I would keep the cap such as the Ripkens, Gwynns, etc.

jobathenut
12-10-2009, 02:36 AM
Ok,Not really sure what your point is but ok.And i am not sure what i am not "true" about but whatever.I was'nt saying they made the rule for boggs.I was saying that did that for him.That he wanted to go in as one team and they said no he could'nt that he had to go in as another team.That's all i was trying to express there.But thanks for the stats.:confused:
Not true. I was working at the Hall in 2001 when Winfield got in. This was the year the change was made. Boggs wasn't elected until 2005. The Hall just had to reinforce the rule with Boggs in 2005.

Chris

jobathenut
12-10-2009, 02:39 AM
So you are saying that the "league" does'nt decide what team a player goes in as.The "who" decides it? So the "hall of fame" tells them what team they are going as then? You left you're statement out there and did'nt really give anymore details other than the "league" has nothing to do with the hall of fame.:confused:
The "league" has nothing to do with the Hall of Fame.........

joelsabi
12-10-2009, 08:23 AM
So you are saying that the "league" does'nt decide what team a player goes in as.The "who" decides it? So the "hall of fame" tells them what team they are going as then? You left you're statement out there and did'nt really give anymore details other than the "league" has nothing to do with the hall of fame.:confused:

the hall of fame and the league (MLB) are separate entities. the hall of fame elects its own members. the only thing that the league does is it can add a player to its permanent suspension list and the hall of fame will not considered such a player for hof nomination.

ironmanfan
12-10-2009, 08:59 AM

Correct, as stated here previously, the HOF management/commitee selects what "team" the player will go in as......In Boggs case, while it's hard to believe he wanted to go in as a Devil Ray (even if he was pissed at the Red Sox, he still could have preferred the Yankees with whom he won a WS with), the American League nor Major League Baseball had NOTHING to do with it....

Have we beated this dead horse sufficiently?

jobathenut
12-11-2009, 04:36 AM
No,sorry to dissapoint you ironmanfan,but i am keeping the house alive and well just to piss you off-just kidding.Sorry also about the wording.LEAGUE/HALL,whats the differnece.The whole point of the question was does the player or THE HALL decide.It was about who decides it was the question.But the wording became the topic of it.So the HALL decides it-thanks thats all i wanted.Sorry to keep the thread going.I thought it was a forum to discuss things.I did'nt realize it had a limit to how much you could discuss it-again just kidding-see smiles:D :D :D
Correct, as stated here previously, the HOF management/commitee selects what "team" the player will go in as......In Boggs case, while it's hard to believe he wanted to go in as a Devil Ray (even if he was pissed at the Red Sox, he still could have preferred the Yankees with whom he won a WS with), the American League nor Major League Baseball had NOTHING to do with it....

Have we beated this dead horse sufficiently?