PDA

View Full Version : Call Out The Garbage Truck

sammy
12-05-2009, 12:15 AM
Not only is the Babe Ruth autograph horrendous, the bat is too.

Plus as an added bonus for you early shoppers, both PSA/DNA Certification numbers listed in the auction are for a Jackie Robinson bat.

But wait, there's more. It appears PSA/DNA and MEARS are now in business together.

Some people are just morons.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

BABE RUTH GAME USED AND AUTOGRAPHED BAT.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PSA-DNA-GU6-GRADED-BABE-RUTH-AUTOGRAPHED-BASEBALL-BAT_W0QQitemZ120501594152QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item1c0e746828 (http://cgi.ebay.com/PSA-DNA-GU6-GRADED-BABE-RUTH-AUTOGRAPHED-BASEBALL-BAT_W0QQitemZ120501594152QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item1c0e746828)

legaleagle92481
12-05-2009, 12:44 AM
What a bargain for almost 5 grand. From what you can see of the autograph it looks highly suspect to me especially the B looks like another amazing job by PSA.

STLHAMMER32
12-05-2009, 02:05 AM
What a bargain for almost 5 grand. From what you can see of the autograph it looks highly suspect to me especially the B looks like another amazing job by PSA.

you know this really isnt certified right? It isn't suspect its just botched all together horribly.

Mark17
12-05-2009, 07:29 AM
Of course it's 100% fake. My top 5 amusing things about it are:

5. No photographs on the LOA, which is all in red.
4. LOA says it's a 33" bat, the knob says 34".
3. PSA/DNA and MEARS are now one and the same.
2. The signature is ridiculous and it looks like it's in ball-point pen.
1. It's a store model Babe Ruth 34 inch bat, and the LOA states it's from 1942-46 (well past Babe's playing days.) Yet it grades GU6.

At least this clown didn't forge Malta's and Taube's signatures on the LOA. Still, it would be fun to see someone threaten legal action and give this idiot the verbal spanking he deserves. http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

earlywynnfan
12-05-2009, 09:02 AM
Did any of you guys contact the seller? I did, since there was already a thread about this. He replied that he wasn't aware of any of this and promptly pulled it. Crook? possibly. Uninformed seller? Also possibly.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

STLHAMMER32
12-05-2009, 10:35 AM
Did any of you guys contact the seller? I did, since there was already a thread about this. He replied that he wasn't aware of any of this and promptly pulled it. Crook? possibly. Uninformed seller? Also possibly.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

Ken, I believe it is the latter....Someone probably ripped him off.

FastLane80
12-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Wow that was so sad it's funny.

Mark17
12-05-2009, 07:28 PM
I did notice the guy has outstanding positive feedback, so I'd be inclined to want to give him the benefit of the doubt too. But I think if you're going to offer an item for $5,000, it is the seller's responsibility to do some basic homework and due diligence on the item.

Simply saying "I got it from someone else" doesn't mean you just turn around and sell it without confirming whether or not it is genuine. Not saying the guy needs to be a bat expert, but even something as basic as verifying the LOA number, or comparing the Ruth signature to one of the zillion genuine examples on the internet (Babe's distinctive looping "R" is quite a contrast to the almost block-letter "R" on the bat.)

In the end he did the right thing in pulling the listing, and I hope he didn't get taken by whomever perpetrated the fraud.

David
12-06-2009, 02:30 PM
The seller has good feedback and might have been duped and lax on a consignment, but the item itself clearly is an intentional and calculated forgery-- the "PSA/DNA Mears" LOA shows that.

The autograph looks closer to George Brett than Babe Ruth to me. About the only way the whole thing could have been worse is if it was an aluminum bat.

legaleagle92481
12-07-2009, 10:42 AM
you know this really isnt certified right? It isn't suspect its just botched all together horribly.

It was after 1 am, I had a few drinks in me and the letter would not enlarge on my computer. I have no confidence in 3rd party authentication after having seen that sting operation that that news reporter pulled on JSA with the Sal Bando signature and being an avid reader of autographalert.com so I assumed the worst, which I apologize to PSA for. I used the word "suspect" because I am an attorney and I would never outright say in a public forum that something is a forgery without having seen it forged myself.