PDA

View Full Version : Ever go a month or 2 without buying anything...

hockeytigers
12-04-2009, 10:06 PM
...and then buy something marginal that you normally wouldn't buy and as soon as you pay for it the flood gates open up and there are several things that you see that you would like to have? This keeps happening to me and it is driving me nuts! I have to go find more things to sell so I can afford the cool new piece. Ugh!

legaleagle92481
12-05-2009, 12:28 AM
Join the club, it has happened to me every time I try that now I just give into the urge.

TriplexXxSports
12-05-2009, 12:29 AM
Welcome to the wonderful world of collecting. This has been the story of my life for 10 years. Sure is fun though isn't it?! ;)

legaleagle92481
12-05-2009, 12:30 AM
My philosophy is regular buying stems the urge to buy marginal stuff just to buy anything.

Jules9
12-06-2009, 06:42 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. I can go through months without buying something, then something pops up that is interesting and I'll buy it. It's happening now, I bought something and all of a sudden there are 7 things that have popped up through auctions, sales and going to a game, that I would rather have than what I bought.

TriplexXxSports
12-07-2009, 07:06 AM
...and then buy something marginal that you normally wouldn't buy and as soon as you pay for it the flood gates open up and there are several things that you see that you would like to have? This keeps happening to me and it is driving me nuts! I have to go find more things to sell so I can afford the cool new piece. Ugh!

I feel you now more than ever. It always seems to come at the worst times too (i.e. 2 weeks before X-Mas).

With in the last week I have been contacted by at least 3 individuals looking to move some items that I have been looking for for quite some time, not to mention the items floating around the Auction Venues. I have been able to pick up a couple of them, but without selling any items, X-Mas shopping still needing to get done and bills to pay, I've had to pass on some deals of a lifetime, but what can you do?

ARRRGGGG! It is frustrating as hell. Anyone want to donate some cash to support my collection, lol.......

godwulf
12-07-2009, 09:48 AM
I've been collecting game-used for almost twelve years now - I started in my early 40s - and as I get older, I find two things happening, with regard to my acquisitions: I've narrowed my collecting (or seriously tried to) to more realistically match my budget and display/storage limits of my home, and (probably more importantly) started thinking along the lines of (without getting too morbid about it), "What's going to happen to all this stuff when I'm dead?"

As these things relate to the question posed in the OP, I find that it's far easier now to resist the tempatation to buy the only marginally cool item that comes up, and even most of the seriously cool ones, because I now find myself "shining the light" on the situation - this is how I think about it; in other words, trying to get my head out of the primal "Mmm, me want!" mode, and evaluating my situation, vis a vis this bat, or whatever it is, dispassionately and from a fresh perspective...namely:

"Where is this bat going to be in six months - in a closet?"...and "Am I likely to be as jazzed about owning this bat six months from now as I am now about the prospect of owning it?"...and, "Don't I already have a similar but better bat than this in my collection?"...and, yes, even, "How much of my desire to own this bat (or jersey, or whatever) is being fueled by thoughts of how much I'm going to enjoy bragging about it and showing pictures of it over at the GUU forum?"

If I get the wrong (or right, I guess, depending on your perspective) answer to any of those questions, I'll likely as not just delete that item from my Watch list...or maybe put in a low-ball bid that I know is going to be topped, just so the part of my brain that's still longing for it can think, "Well, I tried."