PDA

View Full Version : Ichiro Jersey

rluck
12-04-2009, 09:00 PM
I realize that this is after the fact and the auction is closed, but has anyone seen a team letter of authenticity given on a game used jersey eight years after the jersey was used. American Memorabilia (auction closed 12/3) listed a Ichiro 2001 game used alternate jersey with LOA from the Mariners on a 2009 Fanfest letter head. Getty images look good but I question the LOA.

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=53866&aucsearch=suzuki%20jersey&AucListType=closed&TitleDesc=0&peri

Also another 2001 game used alternate jersey of Ichiro's sold by American Memorabilia in April 2009:

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=47750&aucsearch=suzuki&AucListType=closed&TitleDesc=0&period=

Getty Images:

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/51600382/AFP

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/51600380/AFP

Any opinions

randy

legaleagle92481
12-05-2009, 12:37 AM
It is possible that although the jersey is from 2001 that it was not sold until this year's fanfest sometimes teams store items and sell them years after the fact. Case in point when the Yanks and Steiner started their deal they turned over alot of older stuff to Steiner which explains how Steiner has stuff that long predates the deal. Of course the other possibility is that the letter is forged. what i would do if I was interested in an item like this is to call up the team's marketing department and inquire about it, they likely will remember if they sold one or not at the fanfest and when the letter was written since it is so recent and it is likely the only 2001 Ichiro jersey sold at it this year.

jetersbatboy
12-05-2009, 12:51 AM
There is a very slim possibility that the jersey is real. The mariners know, the value of Ichiro game used items and sell them accordingly. This past year they ask $2000 for a game issued jersey. I don't think this is the kind of item that would be offered at fanfest. Ichiro rarely lets his GU go, as he sell most of it him self thru his marketing company ADA. He may allow a couple of items to be donated to charities, but these are far and few between. I would not touch a early Ichiro jersey without a ADA letter, as early in his career he was notorious for keeping his gear. If bidders felt the jersey was legit, it would have gone in the $5k range or higher. Japanese bidders frequent auctions looking for his stuff, and they would have driven up the price. personally I would not by any Ichiro without a ADA/Mill creek LOA or a MLB hologram.

jetersbatboy
12-05-2009, 12:58 AM
Just for reference these are the 3 types of LOA Ichiro has used for his game used items.

MarinersFan34
12-05-2009, 04:01 AM
This is STRICTLY my own personal opinion, as someone who is not only a lifelong fan of the M's but someone who has been purchasing items direct from the team, including FanFest for the past 5-6 years. This LOA is 100% garbage. I have never seen it, nor has it ever been offered in ANY sale where I've bought from FanFest. An Ichiro would have been a big ticket item and advertised as well. I've never seen a sale list with any Ichiro items during FanFest and I have gone every year since 2004.

This is not the traditional Mariners LOA and it is something someone put together on their own to make it seem legit. I have bought numerous items over the years via FanFest and not a single time have I been offered before or after the sale a LOA that looks like that. They clearly were aiming for the uninformed who didn't know any better.

Lokee
12-05-2009, 05:16 PM
I too have been going to Mariners Garage Sales for the past few years and have NEVER been offered or seen a LOA like the one Rudy mentioned.

tym
12-10-2009, 09:43 PM
Hello All,
I have been having discussions with M's execs, and they brought this auction to my attention. I can say for certain that the Mariners did not issue any certificate from fan fest with that letter head, actually they didn't issue any certs. It was either MLBA certs or none at all.

I can also state that I was at fan fest the whole weekend doing fund raising for charities and that jersey was not present. There is no way the M's would issue a letter stating it was game used 8 years after the fact as well. As you can see by the auction it sold for less than 3K, that jersey in Asia would sell for 10K or more easily if the story was believed.
Regards,
Ty

jetersbatboy
12-10-2009, 09:50 PM
Hey Ty,
nice to see you posting on here again!
Aloha Scott

tym
12-11-2009, 12:18 AM
Thanks Scott.....yah we have had a very rough year with my father, father-in-law and son taken ill....but I am still around :)
Regards,
Ty

jetersbatboy
12-11-2009, 01:08 AM
Ty,
I am very sorry to hear that, may God bless you and your love ones this Christmas. An my prayer are with you and your famliy!
Best Wish, Scott

Dewey2007
12-11-2009, 01:11 AM
For what it's worth I was in Seattle this past weekend and stopped by the Mariners Team Store to check it out. The manager said he is still waiting for them to get the 2009 jerseys in but the Griffey and Ichiro jersey(s) will be put up on MLB Auctions. Not sure if that means all of their remaining jerseys from this past season or just one each.

MarinersFan34
12-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Ty,

As has been said before, it's good to see you posting again! Maybe we can catch up sometime and make some more deals.

I think all of the Ichiro/Griffey stuff is or will be going to MLB auctions, they make too much money that way to do otherwise.

tym
12-11-2009, 08:35 PM
Thanks Scott and Jeremy!
Regarding Ichiro and Jr. jerseys, that’s true Craig told me as well they will be in the auctions going forward. I was real lucky when they sold me one of the Ichiro ’07 jerseys as the rest went to auction a couple years ago.
BUT! I am pretty sure Jeff and Scott will get the majority of the Ichiro inventory from Ichiro again as they have in the past few years. Those are signed and come certified by him and his agent, trick is getting them before they all get sold to Japan collectors as they pay a wicked sum to get them.
Jeremy- Sounds like a great idea, I could use the distractionJ. Shoot me your images link again as I have upgraded computers, be warned I haven’t added much of anything to my collection this year.
On another note I did get some of my collection added to the Safeco field museum last year, check out the Junior locker room display the bats, balls and a couple of the other items are mine. Glad they finally added some recent items for the fans to enjoy.
Cheers and have a great holiday season….
Ty