PDA

View Full Version : Adrian Peterson Autographed Vikings Game Issued Jersey

fredgarvin
12-02-2009, 05:23 AM
Interested in this jersey on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Adrian-Peterson-Autographed-Vikings-Game-Issued-Jersey_W0QQitemZ230403432031QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item35a51d5e5f

Have some issues with its description. The sleeves look incorrect for a jersey issued by the team. Adrian Peterson wears tight cuffed, not open sleeves. Please help and give input on the sleeves or any other problems with this jersey. Thank you.

TriplexXxSports
12-02-2009, 06:32 AM
There is a difference between "TEAM ISSUED' & "GAME READY" jerseys.

Team Issued means that the jersey is made for the team but lacks the player alterations used for specific players - i.e. Cuffed, hemmed sleeves, hemmed tail, added pockets, re-enforced shoulders, etc.

Game Ready is a jersey made for the team and has been altered to the players exact specifications and is ready for game use by that specific player.

BTW - Thanks for contacting me before posting this on the forum......

TriplexXxSports
12-02-2009, 08:03 AM
Here is a great set of definitions I found describing exactly what you are referring to:
GAME-WORN, GAME-USED-- Any uniform or equipment worn by a player who is on the team's active roster, gets dressed for the game and takes his place on the field or ice is game-worn or game-used. Even if that player is a back-up quarterback who spends the entire game holding a clipboard, his uniform is game-worn/used because he was on the sideline, on the active roster and in an able-bodied position to participate in on-field plays. This applies to the relief pitcher that spends the entire game sitting in the bullpen and the back-up goalie who is activated and dressed for the game but never spends game time in the goal. Fortunately, most players who dress for games will participate in those games, even if minimally. And, most game-worn/game-used uniforms will show evidence to that effect.
TEAM-ISSUED or GAME-ISSUED--Ordered by a team and intended for game use--but not worn or used. These jerseys will have been team stock, part of the equipment room inventory, but may not have had player's names applied and will not have received the customization that a specific player may request.
GAME-READY--Completely ready for the player to use in game action, but not worn or used. These uniforms will have received the final customization that a player may request. These uniforms will often have been part of a player's uniform rotation, but for one reason or another never saw game action.

fredgarvin
12-03-2009, 05:23 AM
I read some older posts and it seems no one truly has a solid defintion. Too gray, too confusing. Team issued and game issued are the same? Doesn't make sense to me. So by your defintion a jersey or a helmet ordered by a team is one in the same as a team or game issued? How is this proven and not just a retail jersey or helmet customized? Does your item have a team letter? For example I have read many posts concerning Brett Favre 1994 throwback jerseys. They come with a team letter however there is debate that they are the wrong size, made up blank jerseys, yet some have exact specs. Very confusing and misleading to the consumer.

TriplexXxSports
12-03-2009, 08:08 AM
I read some older posts and it seems no one truly has a solid defintion. Too gray, too confusing. Team issued and game issued are the same? Doesn't make sense to me. So by your defintion a jersey or a helmet ordered by a team is one in the same as a team or game issued? How is this proven and not just a retail jersey or helmet customized? Does your item have a team letter? For example I have read many posts concerning Brett Favre 1994 throwback jerseys. They come with a team letter however there is debate that they are the wrong size, made up blank jerseys, yet some have exact specs. Very confusing and misleading to the consumer.

I agree that it is confusing. In this day and age the terms are thrown around loosely by people who have a lack of knowledge of the hobby and are usually out to just turn a profit. But do I personally feel that team issued & game issued are one in the same - YES. Anyone who knows the hobby a little deeper than that of the average jersey collector will know the difference between a retail and a game jersey.

Let me clarify. In the case of my Chicago Bears there are many differences between RETAIL and GAME jerseys. The font used in the name and the numbers, the actual 'cut' of the jersey (i.e. - Lineman, QB, etc.), the material the letters and numbers are made of is cheaper and "shinier". The tagging, the stitching, the location of the NFL Shield in relation to the seam below then neck, etc.

Now in the situation of GAME READY most of the time those will have player and/or team specs that can be used to help identify them. Baseball for example will have a jersey that meets all the criteria for a GAME ISSUED jersey. If it is meant to be in the players rotation the necessary alterations are added to a game issued jersey for the specific player, and the team will usually tag it with some sort of inventory tag.

Football is much of the same yet there is fewer jerseys given to each player. Sleeves and tails are hemmed, shoulders are re-enforced, seams are stitched in the body to tighten the fit, pockets are added, etc. These are the identifiers that are used to separate GAME ISSUED/TEAM ISSUED jerseys from a GAME READY jersey.

So to answer your second question - YES if a jersey or helmet was order by the team and was delivered to the teams stock with the intent to be used in a game, then I believe it is TEAM/GAME ISSUED, and how it is proven to be authentic and not a retail goes back to my earlier statement.

The jersey that you are questioning does not have a Team Letter. Teams will often send leftover stock that never made it to the players locker (i.e. ISSUED to the team but not GAME READY) to NFL Auctions. From my understanding teams will sometimes issue LOA's to NFL Auctions for GAME WORN items, but even those are few and far between and it also varies from team to team (not all teams issue LOA's) This jersey was certified by PSA/DNA, and comes with a NFL AUCTION COA.

The Brett Favre situation is above and beyond. In the case of the 1994's the team letter issued by Red Batty clearly states that he gave up "X" amount of Packers Throwback jerseys of different sizes (all made up to be Favre jerseys) to whoever it was (GFC, or something like that). The point of that is it clearly stated that these were TEAM ISSUED stock jerseys made into Favre's, not BRETT FAVRE GAME READY jerseys. Not confusing to the seasoned collector, but most definitely confusing to the amatures who look for the LOA in place of actually doing their homework.

tjm5711
12-22-2009, 12:11 PM
I agree with you "fredgarvin". Those definitions are very unclear and mean the same thing. All that does is make things more complicated for people to tell the difference. Creating loopholes and new definitions for bogus jerseys. Either a jersey is a cheap knock-off,authentic retail,game-cut/issue,or game used! Why add even more names for the same thing ? All it does is confuse people !

Neely8
12-22-2009, 01:48 PM
I agree with you "fredgarvin". Those definitions are very unclear and mean the same thing. All that does is make things more complicated for people to tell the difference. Creating loopholes and new definitions for bogus jerseys. Either a jersey is a cheap knock-off,authentic retail,game-cut/issue,or game used! Why add even more names for the same thing ? All it does is confuse people !

I agree. Game issued and game ready are one in the same.