PDA

View Full Version : What constitutes a game used jersey?

legaleagle92481
11-29-2009, 09:55 PM
To me a game used jersey is a jersey a player wore during his participation in a game and not one he wore on the bench during a game he did not play in. I have seen this alot with pitcher's jerseys. The jersey will be described as game worn and it will be MLB authenticated as a game worn jersey from a specific game and then I will go look up the box score and the pitcher will not have pitched in that game. I also saw it recently on NFL auctions where an Erik Ainge jersey was auctioned off as worn during the Jets 9-27 game and Erik was the third quarterback in that game and did not step foot on the field. What do you guys think?

STLHAMMER32
11-29-2009, 10:09 PM
To me if it is worn during a game by the player it is techinically game worn if it remains in the locker game issued. I would rather know a jersey saw lots of action. Just as a bat used by someone who takes a bat to the plate and watches three strikes is considered game used, its not what I would want but technically game used. I know there are different opinions on this but that is mine

As for the abuse of "game used"- It holds more value and it has been manipulayed by players and their representatives....I have heard of players switching uniforms in between innings during milestone games so that there is more memorabilia from that game.... Also many players are told to inscribe something a certain way and many just write what they are told. Brett Favre and Alex Rodriguez are two premier players that we all have heard about, but they are far from the only ones... With technology it is easier to find mistakes though. As collectors its more important to do the research now than ever before. I'm sure honest mistakes happen but there is a supply and demand problem....more and more "mistakes" are made to fullfill more demand.

coxfan
12-02-2009, 09:22 AM
Our hobby lacks a consistent glossary of terms. Some consider anything used by a team during a game, such as a pitcher's rubber in the bullpen, as game-used. Even a locker room item like a chair may be called game-used by some sellers, if used before a game. Personally, I distinguish between "Game-used, team-used, and game-ready" in my items. A warmup ball is "team-used" even if used in the bullpen during a game. But even these definitions overlap. For example, is a dugout lineup sheet, which is not required by the rules, game-used or team-used?

TriplexXxSports
12-02-2009, 09:32 AM
GAME-WORN, GAME-USED--In my view these are interchangeable terms, though some folks may disagree. Any uniform or equipment worn by a player who is on the team's active roster, gets dressed for the game and takes his place on the field or ice is game-worn or game-used. Even if that player is a back-up quarterback who spends the entire game holding a clipboard, his uniform is game-worn/used because he was on the sideline, on the active roster and in an able-bodied position to participate in on-field plays. This applies to the relief pitcher that spends the entire game sitting in the bullpen and the back-up goalie who is activated and dressed for the game but never spends game time in the goal. Fortunately, most players who dress for games will participate in those games, even if minimally. And, most game-worn/game-used uniforms will show evidence to that effect.
TEAM-ISSUED or GAME-ISSUED--Ordered by a team and intended for game use--but not worn or used. These jerseys will have been team stock, part of the equipment room inventory, but may not have had player's names applied and will not have received the customization that a specific player may request.
GAME-READY--Completely ready for the player to use in game action, but not worn or used. These uniforms will have received the final customization that a player may request. These uniforms will often have been part of a player's uniform rotation, but for one reason or another never saw game action.

EndzoneSports
12-08-2009, 03:45 PM
GAME-WORN, GAME-USED--In my view these are interchangeable terms, though some folks may disagree.Possibly just semantics and it without doubt that a good many folks do indeed use these terms interchangably. I, however, take these terms litterally in that "game-used" refers to game equipment (ie a ball or bat is "used") whereas "game-worn" refers to anything that is donned by the player (ie a jersey or helmet is "worn").

Best regards,