PDA

View Full Version : Louisville Slugger makes Amish Maple Bats?

IronPigs92
11-28-2009, 07:43 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Louisville-Slugger-M9-Bat-S318-34-RARE-AMISH-MAPLE_W0QQitemZ270491144172QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item3efa874fec

Sincityson
11-28-2009, 08:26 PM
Do these Amish maple bats provide an advantage?

Have they ever made bats out of Hickory wood?

ScS

IronPigs92
11-28-2009, 10:20 PM
Do these Amish maple bats provide an advantage?
ScS

This is the first time I have heard of this wood. I would also like to know what the advantages are.

BMH
11-29-2009, 10:06 AM
You shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet.

brianborsch
11-29-2009, 12:12 PM
Hey Brian,

Is the seller misrepresenting the bat he is selling? What can you tell us about the bat in the listing? I figured it wasn't direct from LVS as there is writing under the knob, and LVS doesn't typically write stuff under the knob.

suicide_squeeze
11-29-2009, 12:49 PM
The "A" used to stand for "Ash"....it could mean one of a dozen things here.

Just another illiterate ebayer stumbling through his false description of lies to get some poor soul to take......and the funny thing is, at $49.99, he isn't going to make any money, so what's up with that? I guess he would if the bat is stolen....then it's all pure profit to him, but who knows?

BMH
11-29-2009, 04:44 PM
It is "Amish" Maple. We have another supplier of Maple and it happens to be from an Amish mill. We mark them to keep track of them in case there is a problem and we can trace the bat back to the mill. Main difference between Amish and our regular maple is the Amish seems whiter. As for rare...um, it's a BPAS bat. Nothing rare about it.

BMH
11-29-2009, 04:45 PM
As for making money...a BPAS bat will cost a minor leaguer $26, so he's doubling his profit.

suicide_squeeze
11-29-2009, 08:05 PM
As for making money...a BPAS bat will cost a minor leaguer $26, so he's doubling his profit.

So risking your sellers reputation for $26 bucks is a solid approach on ebay these days by claiming it's "rare".....hmmm.

Not something I would do, but maybe that was his only one he intended to sell and he hoped for the best. Just another example of why you should do your homework, and.....it's good to be a forum member here. We get aqnswers right from the horses mouth here.:D Thanks Brian.

earlywynnfan
11-29-2009, 09:15 PM
The "A" used to stand for "Ash"....it could mean one of a dozen things here.

Just another illiterateebayer stumbling through his false description of lies to get some poor soul to take......and the funny thing is, at $49.99, he isn't going to make any money, so what's up with that? I guess he would if the bat is stolen....then it's all pure profit to him, but who knows?

Just curious, because I feel I must be missing something: What makes this guy illiterate? What makes him an +++ Where are the lies and false descriptions? The only thing that seems to be out of place is "rare," which actually can be called true, since none of us here has seen or heard of such a bat until this seller brought this to our attention. At worst, it seems like a little hype, but I fail to see the cause to come down on this seller in such a tone.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

suicide_squeeze
11-29-2009, 10:15 PM
Just curious, because I feel I must be missing something: What makes this guy illiterate? What makes him an ++++ Where are the lies and false descriptions? The only thing that seems to be out of place is "rare," which actually can be called true, since none of us here has seen or heard of such a bat until this seller brought this to our attention. At worst, it seems like a little hype, but I fail to see the cause to come down on this seller in such a tone.

Ken

The illiterate part comes from his typos in his auction, Ken.

Unlike here, you have all the opportunity to correct typos, misspellings, etc. He didn't have the concern or pride to do so. Maybe you don't either? But I know when I have the opportunity to do so.....I take it.

Also, I had no idea whether the bat was made of Amish Maple. All I knew is that it was Maple. Then Brian made the statement of not always believing what you read on the net. Still, that wasn't completely telling, but it told me something was misleading. I took him for his word.....which was that something was amiss.

I call out the liers who misrepresent......even if ever so slightly...... when they are presented here. , and only used by "pros".

suicide_squeeze
11-29-2009, 10:34 PM
Brian (BMH).....Is this following statement true?

"On a recent visit to the Louisville Slugger plant I spoke with personnel there to help identify this particular bat. It is barrel stamped BPAS which I was unfamiliar with. It raised a few eyebrows as several other employees gathered around to discuss it. BPAS stands for Ball Players Assortment. These are bats that are produced for the intent of athletes to come in and "try out" to see which one they like best. The BPAS bats are never sold and otherwise are not allowed to ever leave the plant. While there, an employee took me over to a section of the plant where there was a rack full of these BPAS bats that are there for players to "test swing".

I copied and pasted this here because I was curious how accurate it was. If it is true, how would this BPAS bat have gotten into the hands of an outside source? Just curious, thanks.

Steve

BMH
11-29-2009, 11:15 PM
Um...I've never heard that one.

BPAS is Ballplayer assortment. They are overruns of Pro bat orders made during the production day. They might be overweight, underweight, wrong color, wrong labeling, or even cupped when they were supposed to be uncupped. All of these BPAS's are put into a rack in the shipping department. During the season, MiLB teams come to town to play our local AAA team. These teams will come to the factory and have the opportunity to purchase these BPAS bats for $26. We also sell them to many of the South American teams. Some of your minor leaguer's will purchase the bats and then resell them on Ebay for $50-$100 a piece.

suicide_squeeze
11-29-2009, 11:44 PM
Um...I've never heard that one.

BPAS is Ballplayer assortment. They are overruns of Pro bat orders made during the production day. They might be overweight, underweight, wrong color, wrong labeling, or even cupped when they were supposed to be uncupped. All of these BPAS's are put into a rack in the shipping department. During the season, MiLB teams come to town to play our local AAA team. These teams will come to the factory and have the opportunity to purchase these BPAS bats for $26. We also sell them to many of the South American teams. Some of your minor leaguer's will purchase the bats and then resell them on Ebay for $50-$100 a piece.

Thanks Brian.

Well, what do you know? The quote I published here came from another ebayer's auction. Surprised Ken? You shouldn't be. Let me know if you want the link.....

At least we know it wasn't stolen.

With respect,

Steve

suicide_squeeze
11-29-2009, 11:57 PM
I guess the point I'm trying to convey is....I don't understand how an advanced intelligent collector could be so passively supportive of the guy selling this bat.

Was I bit tough on him......Yeah, I'll throw you that consession. But in a perfect world one should be able to go to the description of an item that's up for auction, and when they read what it says, they should be able to proceed to the "bid" button without concerns over having to decifer what part is true, what part is false, what parts are half-truths, borderline-misleading, or something else entirely.

That's the part that sets off my cynical side, and makes me go into attack mode. Just state the dang facts, and be honest about what it is you're trying to sell! If it appears to me that isn't happening, then expect to hear it. I don't feel the need to backpeddal or apologize for having that stance on the matter. I hope you understand.

Swoboda4
11-30-2009, 08:15 AM
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l11/redmills/marshall_mcluhan_annie_hall.jpg?t=1259586343

"It is Amish Maple." "...and it happens to be from an Amish Mill."
For tonights performance,the role of Marshall McLuan will be played by...

Swoboda4
11-30-2009, 09:16 AM
In fairness to Steve, Brian's initial one sentence response("You shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet.") to this threads main question left many believing LS in fact doesn't make Amish bats. Steve then went to the races against the seller only to have Brian write soon after that LS does make Amish wood bats.
So the main question has been answered,they do make them. As for LS Amish bats being rare,I think on average they are. I Googled Amish bats and the only purchasing you can do is with Akadema with over 11 models of Amish wood pro bats for sale for about $70 each. If as a minor leaguer,you have to come to the factory to get them,I would say calling this bat rare doesn't raise an eyebrow. Is the ebay seller being slick,that maybe is another story. I went on LS website and with no search engine on the page I eventually made my way to the wood bat section but couldn't read the small print on the attachment PDF. LS main page showcases exclusively aluminum bats and as they say:
"Unless you’re in the pros or playing in a wood-bat league, we’ll assume that you’ll be swinging aluminum."

earlywynnfan
11-30-2009, 10:45 AM
[quote=suicide_squeeze;172864]

Was I bit tough on him......Yeah, I'll throw you that consession. But in a perfect world, one should be able to go to the description of an item that's up for auction, and when they read what it says, they should be able to proceed to the "bid" button without concerns over having to decifer what part is true, what part is false, what parts are half-truths, borderline-misleading, or something else entirely.

That's the part that sets off my cynical side, and makes me go into attack mode. Just state the dang facts, and be honest about what it is you're trying to sell! If it appears to me that isn't happening, then expect to hear it. I don't feel the need to backpeddal or apologize for having that stance on the matter. quote]

No, I don't understand. I'm one of those fuddy-duddy types that believe there is too much rudeness in this world, too little civility to our fellow man. The internet has led to a feeling of superiority, where we can say whatever the hell we want, and if we offend or are just plain wrong, well, too bad, I don't have to face anyone anyways. Look back over my posts to you: THAT is the point I try to convey.

I, like many who have responded to me, want this thread to be positive and informative, not "pile on some dude" or "gee, my wife is hot." Perhaps the majority disagree; "In a perfect world" people wouldn't be rude for minimal reason,

Ken

suicide_squeeze
11-30-2009, 11:33 AM
[quote=suicide_squeeze;172864]

Was I bit tough on him......Yeah, I'll throw you that consession. But in a perfect world, one should be able to go to the description of an item that's up for auction, and when they read what it says, they should be able to proceed to the "bid" button without concerns over having to decifer what part is true, what part is false, what parts are half-truths, borderline-misleading, or something else entirely.

That's the part that sets off my cynical side, and makes me go into attack mode. Just state the dang facts, and be honest about what it is you're trying to sell! If it appears to me that isn't happening, then expect to hear it. I don't feel the need to backpeddal or apologize for having that stance on the matter. quote]

No, I don't understand. I'm one of those fuddy-duddy types that believe there is too much rudeness in this world, too little civility to our fellow man. The internet has led to a feeling of superiority, where we can say whatever the hell we want, and if we offend or are just plain wrong, well, too bad, I don't have to face anyone anyways. Look back over my posts to you: THAT is the point I try to convey.

I, like many who have responded to me, want this thread to be positive and informative, not "pile on some dude" or "gee, my wife is hot." Perhaps the majority disagree; "In a perfect world" people wouldn't be rude for minimal reason,

Ken

Funny thing is, I agree with you on the lack of civility. The rude thing too, but that's more subjective.

BMH
11-30-2009, 11:40 AM
Well, we don't make Amish bats. We get some of our wood from the Amish. This is a slight difference but a major one when considering wood turnings. When you say "Amish bats" people think of the Amish making the bats. In our case, we purchase wood that has been dried by the Amish in their vacuum drier. We then turn the billets they sell us into bats.

We do this because our vacuum drier doesn't have the capacity we need at the moment. We mark them in case there is a problem and we can trace it back to where the wood came from and fix said problem. We could just mark them on the order tickets but the "A" on the knob makes it simple for the EM to tell us where the wood came from.

Swoboda4
11-30-2009, 01:04 PM
The question always was,does LOUISVILLE SLUGGER MAKE Amish wood bats. Yes. (As Brian said,"..We then turn the billets they(Amish) sell us into bats.

Is Mr.Ronks from Bird-in-Hand Pa. milling the bats himself. No.

(Associate thread within thread):Is L/S amish wood bats rare? Apparently.

suicide_squeeze
11-30-2009, 01:19 PM
Well, we don't make Amish bats. We get some of our wood from the Amish. This is a slight difference but a major one when considering wood turnings. When you say "Amish bats" people think of the Amish making the bats. In our case, we purchase wood that has been dried by the Amish in their vacuum drier. We then turn the billets they sell us into bats.

We do this because our vacuum drier doesn't have the capacity we need at the moment. We mark them in case there is a problem and we can trace it back to where the wood came from and fix said problem. We could just mark them on the order tickets but the "A" on the knob makes it simple for the EM to tell us where the wood came from.

Brian, thanks again for the crystal clear explanation.

What would've been nice, no, actually, appropriate, is for the guy who is selling the bat to take the time to contact Louisville Slugger in the first place, get the facts straight, and then list the facts correctly in his auction. But again, that's too much to ask in this day and age. You potential buyers will just have to figure it all out yourself. . It doesn't matter if the facts are presented as "extremely rare" when in fact there's nothing rare about it at all....it's OK to be accepting of this type of "M.O".....it's ebay folks, and there's no one driving the ship!!

Then some bully hide-behind-the-puter coward aall-time loser-of-the-forum drama queen like myself wouldn't have to sound off on the poor guy. Someone......please......drive a wooden stake through my heart so the forum can be saved from my onslaught!

suave1477
11-30-2009, 01:37 PM
Suicide I am not looking to get into a back anf forth with you or for that matter anyone here but has anyone here taken into consideration maybe the seller was misinformed.

Suicide this is your qoute
"What would've been nice, no, actually, appropriate, is for the guy who is selling the bat to take the time to contact Louisville Slugger in the first place,"

This was in the sellers description
"The Louisville Rep said this was one of the first amish bats made by Louisville"

Whether he is lying or not I have no idea, but he does state he did make the effort to contact someone at the company, whether, he spoke to a bat rep or the sales person in the gift shop or the parking attendant down the block from L/S. Who knows???

But maybe it is possible he did go the extra mile to research it and he was misinformed by someone there, who ever it was.

These things do happen.

Suicide I know in your world there is no room for error but sometimes you have to give the person the benefit of the doubt and at least hear there side.

Has anyone contacted or tried contacting the seller???

suicide_squeeze
11-30-2009, 01:54 PM
Has anyone contacted or tried contacting the seller???

BMH
11-30-2009, 02:17 PM
The question always was,does LOUISVILLE SLUGGER MAKE Amish wood bats. Yes. (As Brian said,"..We then turn the billets they(Amish) sell us into bats.

Is Mr.Ronks from Bird-in-Hand Pa. milling the bats himself. No.

(Associate thread within thread):Is L/S amish wood bats rare? Apparently.

That depends, we also send them wood to dry for us. So this might have been one of those billets we sent to them to dry for us ;)

Personally, Fifty bucks for a Maple, large barrel bat is a bargain no matter what story the guy is trying to sell with it. Most of the ones in stores start at $80+

earlywynnfan
11-30-2009, 05:22 PM
Yep, Steve, Just the sort of responses I expected.

Don't bother teaching me anything more, I won't be here to listen.

Ken

suicide_squeeze
11-30-2009, 05:29 PM
Yep, Steve, you're all class. Just the sort of responses I expected.

Don't bother teaching me anything more, I won't be here to listen.

Ken

--