PDA

View Full Version : Surprising Find! C.C Sabathia/Dunn...Question for C.C collectors?!

STLHAMMER32
11-28-2009, 02:19 AM
I recently bought a bat that was a game used Adam Dunn MLB authenticated bat. I noticed that on the knob Dunns 44 was blocked out and the #52 was written....I couldn't think of anyone with 52 so I thought maybe it was a minor leaguer or spring training bat. I thought more about it and thought about C.C Sabathia wearing that number....he was an AL pitcher who very likely could have borrowed bats for his move to Milwaukee I thought. Turns out I was right, I put in the mlb code in their database and it came up as cracked bat by C.C Sabathia against Homer Baily of the Reds (Dunns team at the time) July 28, 2008. I looked up the video and saw C.C break the bat I have it was pretty neat...then I noticed in the at-bat before he hit is 3rd career home run and his first as a member of the brewers! I can't be certain its the same bat but Id say it is highly likely.

My question is what is the value of a C.C game used bat? it's the first I've seen really. Although its Dunns model C.C used it and it is authenticated by MLB with video proof to go along with it....it was a cool surprise for a player you don't see bats off. Any opinions on its value would be great!

allstarsplus
11-28-2009, 08:57 AM
With that provenance, it sounds like an amazing bat you got there! Congrats!

notxpensv4u
11-28-2009, 11:38 AM
I remember hearing a story about CC wanting an Adam Dunn bat when they were in Cincinnati and Dunn refused. I guess with this story Dunn gave in. Great bat!!! Tim

legaleagle92481
11-28-2009, 12:10 PM
Since CC has spent his entire career in the AL except for that half with the Brewers in 2008 and hence has very few if any at bats in a season (depending on whether or not he pitches in an NL park during interleague play or this year in Philly in the Series) you truly have a one of a kind item. Since CC is a Yankee and hence will get alot of run support every year (provided he does not do something dumb and use his opt out in a couple of years) he will probably get 17-20 wins a year barring injury and easily win 300 games, another CY Young or two and be a first ballot hall of famer and if he wins a few more rings be regarded as the best pitcher of this era/one of the best all time. My advice to you would be to hold onto the bat and watch it go up in value as these events occur. I would say today you could get between $700 and a grand for it. Fill us in on the details where did you get it?

mattmueller
11-28-2009, 02:24 PM
Hammer: Sounds like a great bat. However, just to correct the fact pattern a bit. The Brewers played the Cubs on July 28, 2008 and Sabathia did not hit a home run in that game. I believe the game you are referencing against the Reds was July 13, 2008.

I think the prior post has all the pro-value arguments covered. However, keep in mind that it is a Dunn model bat that Sabathia used, which in my experience mix-matched player model and user detracts value.

As to sales of Sabathia bats. There were a handful of CC signature model bats from his time with the Brewers that were sold at the end of 2008 and early 2009. These bats, while lacking the provenance of a MLB hologram, were Sabathia model LVS bats that to me appeared to be game used bats. I believe there was a post from BMH that indicated LVS made 12 Brewer bats for Sabathia in the 2008 regular season. Point being, given the CC model and Brewer labeling, use in a rare Brewer playoff run, these would arguably be pretty scarce and more "collectible" than a model of a different player he used. None of these sold for more than $500 that I am aware of. Provenance that your bat was used to hit a homerun might make it a different story, but photo matching a black bat is pretty darn tough.

Matt

STLHAMMER32
11-28-2009, 02:35 PM
Hammer: Sounds like a great bat. However, just to correct the fact pattern a bit. The Brewers played the Cubs on July 28, 2008 and Sabathia did not hit a home run in that game. I believe the game you are referencing against the Reds was July 13, 2008.

Matt

Thanks for the correction matt I was looking at the wrong one, the bat is from july 13 as you stated.

STLHAMMER32
11-28-2009, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys! I bought 4 MLB authenticated Adam Dunn bats from Ryan (LagunaSurfNSports) and I got a great price, well packaged bats and he was great to deal with... so a special thanks to Ryan. I just started colllecting Adam Dunn bats so I was happy to jumpstart my collection with these bats. Finding out one was C.C's was pretty neat and a cool surprise.

On a sidenote, MLB authenticated is very nice. I have MLB.TV so it was very easy to look up the games they were used. There is nothing like seeing your bat being used in action! Now if only I was good with computers ;)

xpress34
11-28-2009, 04:27 PM
Since CC is a Yankee and hence will get alot of run support every year (provided he does not do something dumb and use his opt out in a couple of years) he will probably get 17-20 wins a year barring injury and easily win 300 games

Really??? He would have to go at LEAST another 9 years and WIN (or at least AVERGAGE OUT) to 19 Wins a YEAR to break 300. He has only won 19 in a season TWICE in his career so far... his AVG is 15 W/Yr. He has played 9 seasons so far... 18 years is a LONG career for a Starter - especially to stay at that level... Maddux holds the record for most consecutive 15+ W seasons and CC is not Greg Maddux.

CC currently has 136 W.

9 Yrs at 15 wins = 135 + 136 = 271 (he's had 1 15 W season)
9 Yrs at 16 wins = 144 + 136 = 280
9 Yrs at 17 wins = 153 + 136 = 289 (he's had 2 17 W seasons)
9 Yrs at 18 wins = 162 + 136 = 298
9 Yrs at 19 wins = 171 + 136 = 307 (he's had 2 19 W seasons)

All things being equal, unless some young gun comes out of the chute blazing hot and can keep it together, Randy Johnson is more than likely the LAST 300 Game Winner you'll see.

Even the 'pros and experts' don't think we'll see another 300 Game Winner from anyone currently playing the game.

- Chris

legaleagle92481
11-29-2009, 02:45 AM
Chris,

Are these the same experts that said that Glavine would be the last 300 game winner, who now after they were proven wrong claim Johnson will be? CC is 29 years old and has 136 wins! He has only once failed to start 30 games in a season and has absoutely no history of significant injuries. The guy has a rubber arm, look at how well he pitches on 3 days rest. Granted it is years in the future and anything can happen but barring catastrophic injury or an unexpected drop in performance he will get there. For some reason you have decided that he can only pitch another 9 years which will make him only 38, look at how many pitchers pitch into their 40s these days, Glavine, Maddux, Johnson, Clemens, Moyer, etc., etc., etc. At his current pace he would have 304 wins at 40 but I think it is reasonable to expect his current pace of 15 wins to increase to 16-17 wins a year as he is the ace of the best team in baseball which scores a ton of runs and wins a ton of games. He has more wins than Glavine or Johnson at the same age. Of today's pitchers he is easily the best bet to get there.

xpress34
11-29-2009, 06:23 PM
Chris,

Are these the same experts that said that Glavine would be the last 300 game winner, who now after they were proven wrong claim Johnson will be? CC is 29 years old and has 136 wins! He has only once failed to start 30 games in a season and has absoutely no history of significant injuries. The guy has a rubber arm, look at how well he pitches on 3 days rest. Granted it is years in the future and anything can happen but barring catastrophic injury or an unexpected drop in performance he will get there. For some reason you have decided that he can only pitch another 9 years which will make him only 38, look at how many pitchers pitch into their 40s these days, Glavine, Maddux, Johnson, Clemens, Moyer, etc., etc., etc. At his current pace he would have 304 wins at 40 but I think it is reasonable to expect his current pace of 15 wins to increase to 16-17 wins a year as he is the ace of the best team in baseball which scores a ton of runs and wins a ton of games. He has more wins than Glavine or Johnson at the same age. Of today's pitchers he is easily the best bet to get there.

LE -

I didn't say he doesn't have a 'chance', but you are writing like it's a sure thing.

CC will have to stay healthy (for at LEAST 9 more years) AND, he will have to have run support, which again, you write like it's a sure thing.

Just because the Yanks won the WS again this year doesn't mean they can't or won't go into a tail spin...

I'm just laying out the numbers and the numbers say that CC is a LONG shot... again, YES - he has a chance to get there, but is by no means a sure thing.

Yes, he had a rubber arm - THIS YEAR - but his past has shown him not being able to throw on short rest before, so again - one time does not mean he can do it consistently.

- Chris