PDA

View Full Version : BMH-Question on Old Timers Day Game bats

brianborsch
11-25-2009, 06:35 PM
Hello Brian,

I was just curious on details for Old Timers Day game bats in general. I refer to a Casey Stengel old timers day game bat that was up for auction. The bat's design seemed right on as did the signature branded in the barrell, however it did not have the "Old Timers Day" stamped into the barrell like some bats show.

I wanted to verify:
1) If they should always have the "Old Timers Day" stamped or was there a period when that started/stopped.
2) Are these bats the closest thing you can get to an actual game issued/used bat from their playing days? I mean obviously the model is exact but the weight might be made lighter (as the player may be older), correct? Also is the grade of wood used the highest quality?

Thanks!

BB

BMH
11-25-2009, 08:07 PM
I don't think I've ever seen one with "Old Timers Day" stamped on it.

As for weight we usually run them out of heavy wood to use up timber we wouldn't use in Pro bat.

I would say the wood is usually XX or #1 in quality. Depends on the person ordering the bats and what the intended use is. We have several guys who order bats and still use them, so they get a higher quality than the guy who just wants to do some autographs.

brianborsch
11-25-2009, 08:28 PM
Cool. Thanks for that. I am curious to hear how you all at LVS measure the quality level of wood for pro bats? I know Tony Gwynn looked at grain count, and other players looked for other things. What really determines pro-quality wood or the highest quality of wood?

BB