PDA

View Full Version : MLB Auctions Victor Martinez Stars & Stripes Hat

dcgreg25
11-24-2009, 11:37 AM
I was looking at the Stars & Stripes hats auction on mlb.com and was specifically interested in the Victor Martinez Hat.

While this is a great charitable cause that is certainly worthy of our support, I was concerned after doing a little research on the hat being offered. These hats were worn on July 4th weekend. Since Martinez was traded from the Indians at the deadline (July 31) he was not on the Red Sox when they wore the hats.

In 2008, the hats were also worn on September 11th and it appears, at least the Yankees, wore their red hats on September 11, 2009 as well. The Red Sox game on September 11, 2009 was rained out and checking Getty, it appears they did not wear them the following day.

Bottom line, I am having trouble finding any game (after Martinez joined the team) in which the Red Sox wore the red hats. Am I missing something? Assuming I am not missing something here, I wanted to give the board members a heads-up as I know I am not the only Martinez collector on here.

I have emailed MLB.com but do not expect a response. Dont get me wrong this is an incredibly important cause, and while the listing does not explicity state the hats are game used, it certainly is implied.

staindsox
11-24-2009, 11:53 AM
I think MLB Auctions was wrong when they said they were all used July 4th. I thought there were Phillies hats from both Pedro Martinez and Cliff Lee. I saw some other ones like that too where there were hats from players who weren't with those teams until after July 4.

Chris

suave1477
11-24-2009, 12:16 PM
Interesting as you implicated they do not state it is Game Used & they don't state it as autographed by the player either.

Makes you wonder how they attribute these to a particular player

dcgreg25
11-24-2009, 01:46 PM
The mlb.com press release mentions just July 4th and 5th but after a google search several news services reported Memorial Day and September 11th as other days the hats were worn. This still does not explain the Martinez as he was not on the Sox on Memorial Day and the Red Sox game on September 11th was rained out.

DonFan23
11-25-2009, 09:29 PM
For games throughout the July 4 weekend and on Sept. 11, all MLB clubs will wear “Stars & Stripes” caps that are available for sale to the public, with a portion of the proceeds going to Welcome Back Veterans. These official New Era caps can be purchased at the MLB.com Shop, a way to help others.

http://www.welcomebackveterans.org/news/entry/welcome-back/

jake33
11-25-2009, 10:25 PM
i got an email from someone at MLB.com and got 4 authentication numbers from the auction. THEY WERE all "WORN" on 9.11.09....

the bad news, the rays vs. red sox played a 12 minute game due to rain delay and the hats were hardly used at all

jake33
11-25-2009, 10:27 PM
the hats were probably worn in bp and have the players jersey number written under the bill.... i emailed the guy i know at MLB.... and told him how VERY vague the listings are all for the auction, none are autographed...