PDA

View Full Version : Opinions: Jay Bruce Game Used Louisville Jersey

justinwc80
11-24-2009, 09:35 AM
I recently purchased this Jay Bruce jersey from thesofasurfer on ebay. I'm looking for some opinions since this is my first minor league jersey. The size seems a bit large but I'm hoping some other collectors can offer insight. Thanks as always guys.

intheminors
11-24-2009, 12:23 PM
To the best of my recollection, those jerseys should have been accompanied by a letter from the team. I believe the Bats were selling those in packages where you had to buy the home and road jerseys together, but Jay Bruce could have been an exception.

I would call the Bats and ask who handles jersey sales. I'm sure someone there could help. Earl Stubblefield used to be the person in charge of selling jerseys but I'm not sure if he does that anymore.

Kyle

ahuff
11-24-2009, 12:40 PM
I believe you are correct. From what I remember they were sold in packages as well. I also seem to recall that Bruce was included in those packages for a very hefty price tag. My suggestion is to contact the team...they would probably be able to shed some light on the matter.

notxpensv4u
11-24-2009, 01:58 PM
What concerns me is the wash tag. Usually after several washes they are rolled up. Contact Earl.

AWA85
11-24-2009, 04:51 PM
Size 50 is right on for Bruce. But the BATS are pretty good at providing letters with their game used items, so as everyone else has said Earl Stubblefield is your guy to contact.

LastingsMilledge85
11-24-2009, 05:07 PM
If I remeber correctly theosurfer also sold the home version as well. I know I saw the home jersey on Ebay that was hundreds of dollars maybe more, just can't remember the seller.

LastingsMilledge85
11-24-2009, 05:11 PM
This may help
http://www.woodsportsphotography.com/files/JayBruce.jpg

LWMM
11-24-2009, 05:18 PM
This year at least, the home and road jerseys were sold as a set and the alternate and BP jerseys were sold individually. I bought the four of Gomes, and each was accompanied by an LOA (including individual letters for the two sold as a set).

Pictures of the Gomes road jersey:

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/LWMM/Jonny%20Gomes%20Scans/09LBRoadJerseyfront.jpg

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/LWMM/Jonny%20Gomes%20Scans/09LBRoadJerseyback.jpg

If you need Earl Stubblefield's contact information, email me at c_u_l_1@yahoo.com and I'll get it to you.

jshortt
11-24-2009, 11:12 PM
That jersey is fine. Like others have said, the jerseys were only sold in sets, and SofaSurfer had both jerseys from last year. Here's the thing, the Bats don't wear those road greys much. They usually wear their black alternates for away games, so that and the fact that Jay was only there for about a month and a half would probably account for the lack of wash wear. The fonts and patches for those minor league jerseys are impossible to find, and Rawlings doesn't make replicas or anything close, available to the public.

Jay wore a size 50 last year both with the Bats and the Reds. For players of that caliber, Louisville is VERY good about not letting others wear the same jerseys (they know what kind of re-sale money is there). Once they get called up, the jerseys are retired until it's time for them to be shipped out to the new owner. They only send one LOA, so I'd imagine minus having a copier in his house, SofaSurfer didn't think it was that big of a deal. PLUS, the Bats print the original owner's name and address on them, so maybe he didn't want that out there.

Hope this helps, and if you have any other Jay/Bats questions, I'll do my best to answer.

-Josh

justinwc80
11-25-2009, 08:42 AM
Thanks everybody for the help, I talked to Earl and he thought the jersey looked good but thought Jay wore a size 46. He has been very helpful. It sounds like the 50 could be correct though. I'll keep looking for photos to match the jersey. If anyone runs across any I would be very appreciative.

justinwc80
11-25-2009, 08:52 AM
Just got an email back from Earl and he said they had one set of 32 home/road jerseys in 2008 and according to their records they were size 46. Any thoughts?

thomecollector
11-26-2009, 11:08 AM
I recently purchased this Jay Bruce jersey from thesofasurfer on ebay. I'm looking for some opinions since this is my first minor league jersey. The size seems a bit large but I'm hoping some other collectors can offer insight. Thanks as always guys.
This may be the COA. I can't read it that well. But the guy is selling some Bruce cleats from the Bats. But the COA says something about a jersey, and pants as well. Hope this helps.
Roger;) http://cgi.ebay.com/08-JAY-BRUCE-GAME-USED-NIKE-SPIKES-32_W0QQitemZ230349857967QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defa ultDomain_0?hash=item35a1ebe4af

LWMM
11-26-2009, 12:09 PM
This may be the COA. I can't read it that well. But the guy is selling some Bruce cleats from the Bats. But the COA says something about a jersey, and pants as well. Hope this helps.
Roger;) http://cgi.ebay.com/08-JAY-BRUCE-GAME-USED-NIKE-SPIKES-32_W0QQitemZ230349857967QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defa ultDomain_0?hash=item35a1ebe4af

From what I can tell, it says:

This letter certifies that the following Louisville Bats player equipment was all used by Jay Bruce in 2008

Spikes -- game used Nike shoes -- marked with #32 and dirty

This equipment was originally purchased from the Louisville bats by XX of XX, XX. (can't quite make out)

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions concerning the history? of this equipment.

Larger image:

http://i.ebayimg.com/01/!BUkIW1w!mk~$(KGrHgoOKiQEjlLmVz3(BKOJo71GDQ~~_12.J PG
http://i.ebayimg.com/01/%21BUkIW1w%21mk%7E$%28KGrHgoOKiQEjlLmVz3%28BKOJo71 GDQ%7E%7E_12.JPG

thomecollector
11-26-2009, 12:24 PM
OOPS ! My Bad.:o

jshortt
11-26-2009, 03:17 PM
I think Earl is wrong on this one. Jay's jerseys from the Bats in 2007 were all size 50, so I find it hard to believe he would go down 2 full sizes for the next year. Votto wore 46 the entire time he was with Louisville, so maybe that's what came up when he checked. I love Earl to death, but sometimes the Bats don't exactly keep exemplary records. Believe me, your jersey is fine. Try contacting SofaSurfer to see if he can send you a xerox/scan of his LOA for your records.

-Josh

jshortt
11-26-2009, 03:23 PM
...with that said, of course, if you're terribly unhappy with it, you could always sell it to me, haha. :)

-Josh

justinwc80
11-29-2009, 04:30 PM
Thanks all for your help. I wish I could track down the COA, the one with the spikes looks like its only for them. I will keep looking, Josh, you can make me an offer but I'll probably hold on to it. Thanks to everyone for their input. You guys are the best!

justinwc80
11-30-2009, 04:40 PM
Does anyone else have a Bruce game used jersey from his time in Cincy or even better a minor league jersey to help confirm sizes more. Thanks

jshortt
12-01-2009, 02:39 PM
Justin,

I have his black alternate Bats jersey from 2007, one of his 2008 rookie b.p./spring training jerseys, AND one of his 2008 rookie gamers. ALL size 50. He appears to have moved up to a 52 for the Reds in 2009, though.

hope this helps,
Josh

justinwc80
12-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Josh if you get a chance will you email me at justinwc80 at yahoo

jshortt
12-02-2009, 08:36 AM
^ email sent.

-Josh