PDA

View Full Version : OSU Helmet Help

tbone90
11-23-2009, 03:23 PM
I'm looking for some of that valuable GUU expertise from any and all. Has anyone checked out this helmet:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ohio-State-St-OSU-game-used-Signed-Helmet_W0QQitemZ260508357640QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca7821408

Admittedly I'm a quite a novice with game helmets so my question is shouldn't the front bumper for this year for a Buckeyes helmet say Big Ten (in red) and maybe even the back bumper have Riddell (in red)? Any thoughts or insight would be greatly appreciated.

mattmueller
11-23-2009, 06:24 PM
Tony:

Check getty images photo #1683241. Assuming last guy on right that is standing is Clarke (which it looks like it is), to me, it doesn't look like the Buckeyes on the helmet in the photo match what is offered on ebay.

Matt

redoctober
11-23-2009, 10:43 PM
The seller's feedback is 88%. Does anything else even need to be researched?? Steer clear!!

tbone90
11-24-2009, 09:30 AM
Matt - Thanks, that was a great pic of the buckeye stickers. Getty pic #1719836 shows the back of Maurice Claretts helmet from the National Championship game. The NCAA sticker is colored differently then the one on the Clark helmet and the US flag on the Clarett helmet has a white border and the one on the Clark helmet does not. I would have assumed all OSU helmets would have gotten the same stickers (but maybe not) for that year. In Getty pic #81457894 Adrien Clark is in the lower left. The rear bumper of his helmet does appear to have the Riddell in red (nothing on the ebay helmet) and there also there appears to be buckeye stickers on the right side of the helmet and none appear on the right side of the helmet on ebay.

I did notice the poor feedback rating of the seller in ebay but I'm trying to gain some knowledge of OSU helmets. When I find one that I decide to purchase I want to avoid getting burned if at all possible. We've all been there and I'd prefer NOT to be there again.;)

perlman9
11-26-2009, 09:17 AM
Also, the Ginn jersey isn't close and even though he says he is not 100% sure, he is leaving some doubt that it could be real. If you look at his Ginn and a photo from the game
http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics10/400/IQ/IQGMYLABWUKTKVX.20090105145417.jpg
The number 7 is so different from one to the other that it can only be a retail at best, so to say it is exactly like the ones he has been collecting for 20 years may be a little off. However, to give the benefit of the doubt, if he is a novice collector he may have a lot of bad items to compare or may not even do much research.

cohibasmoker
11-27-2009, 12:32 PM
I'm looking for some of that valuable GUU expertise from any and all. Has anyone checked out this helmet:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ohio-State-St-OSU-game-used-Signed-Helmet_W0QQitemZ260508357640QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca7821408

Admittedly I'm a quite a novice with game helmets so my question is shouldn't the front bumper for this year for a Buckeyes helmet say Big Ten (in red) and maybe even the back bumper have Riddell (in red)? Any thoughts or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Tony - did you get the helmet? I am pretty sure it was from the 2003 season because of the reconditioned sticker inside the helmet and I am pretty sure the helmet was worn in the Fiesta Bowl in 2004 but I am not so sure it was worn during the 2002 season.

Jim

tbone90
11-30-2009, 01:54 PM
Jim - No, I steered clear of the helmet. I hunted around quite a few sites for good pics of OSU helmets from around the years Clark played and just never found anything that made me comfortable. So the search continues...

cohibasmoker
11-30-2009, 03:10 PM
I thought the helmet was OK. The seller said it was from 2002 but I noticed a 2003 reconditioning sticker on the inside. So I started digging 2003 photos and 2004 Fiesta bowl photos and the helmet appeared to match helmets from those years. Of course OSU were NOT the National Champions in 2003 but they did win the Fiesta Bowl.

Jim

buckeyegamers
12-03-2009, 02:02 PM
Found this pick on Getty. It's from the 2004 Fiesta Bowl. The auction helmet seems to be missing at least 2 buckeye leaves from the right side as well as the Riddell sticker on the back of the helmet.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w14/buckeyegamers/misc/2953211.jpg