PDA

View Full Version : Any Item In Your Collection HOF Worthy?

ironmanfan
11-22-2009, 02:56 PM
I had the pleasure yesterday of going to Cooperstown for a visit to the Baseball Hall of Fame and on the four hour ride back home, let my mind wander if I had any memorabilia worthy of display there (obviously as a loan; not donation).

The best thing I could think of out of my collection were the lineup cards that were carried in the home plate umpires pocket on 05/30/82, for the first game of Cal Ripken Jr.'s consecutive game streak.

What's the ONE item you currently own that you could imagine the Hall of Fame (baseball or football) accepting for display?

Bill
whhp72@yahoo.com

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/Game%20Used/may30.jpg

Dewey2007
11-22-2009, 03:56 PM
Bill, Great question! I definitely think your Orioles lineup cards are HOF worthy given their obvious connection to Cal's streak. Unfortunately I don't have anything in my collection that is HOF worthy except maybe the 1930's Alameda japanese flannels that I have.

Sounds like you had a great time on your visit to the HOF. I've yet to make it there but I hope to one of these days.

Dewey

joelsabi
11-22-2009, 04:13 PM
I had the pleasure yesterday of going to Cooperstown for a visit to the Baseball Hall of Fame and on the four hour ride back home, let my mind wander if I had any memorabilia worthy of display there (obviously as a loan; not donation).

The best thing I could think of out of my collection were the lineup cards that were carried in the home plate umpires pocket on 05/30/82, for the first game of Cal Ripken Jr.'s consecutive game streak.

What's the ONE item you currently own that you could imagine the Hall of Fame (baseball or football) accepting for display?

Bill
whhp72@yahoo.com

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/Game%20Used/may30.jpg

i can definitely see your item in the hall of fame display.

not one item in mine would qualify.

kylehess10
11-22-2009, 07:31 PM
i can definitely see your item in the hall of fame display.

not one item in mine would qualify.

I agree. That's a very nice piece.

I personally wouldn't loan anything to the HOF, since I think it looks better in my room :D

I think the only possible piece I have that could be remotely close to being HOF quality is Mark Kotsay's jersey worn when he became only the 2nd player in Atlanta Braves history to hit for the cycle. It would look nice if inside a display for Atlanta Braves equipment.

lehmsbobby
11-22-2009, 07:51 PM
definitely that would be worthy Kyle.

As for me, nothing except for possibly my Barry Bonds 2000 Sam Bat, if I could just photomatch the dang thing which i'm having tons of trouble with.
I am convinced my bat is a HR bat, considering the amount of use, and if so, if Barry passed someone on the all-time home run list, it could be HOF worthy. Probably not, but at least close;) .

karamaxjoe
11-22-2009, 08:03 PM
I think the HOF would like to have the only pair of shorts ever worn by a Hall of Famer in a game. Plus the novalty value is priceless.

WadeInBmore
11-22-2009, 08:16 PM
I would love to be able to loan all my Frank Thomas items to the Hall of Fame when he gets inducted :) I think that would be awesome and make all my Big Hurt items HOF worthy for that one day/weekend/exhibit.

I think that would be the ultimate for me. My items in a HOF exhibit honoring my favorite player...hey, maybe I'd even get a chance to meet the man himself.

wade

suicide_squeeze
11-22-2009, 09:48 PM
Far be it from me to be the type to throw a cold bucket of water on you guys while you are in deep rem sleep :rolleyes: ......

.......but I thought you'd like to know...the Hall of Fame doesn't take "loans" of ANYTHING for display. It's got to be a "donation"....or it will not be displayed in the Hall of Fame. That's the policy, agreed with or not. They just don't take the responsibility for "loaned" items. I have inquired into this a long time ago and was sent a very nice response explaining their operation. If I can find it, I'll post it here.

But the thread is cool, and I'll post a few of my items this Holiday weekend when I have a bit of time. I think I have one or two items that the Hall would welcome with open arms.

xpress34
11-22-2009, 09:49 PM
I have two pieces that might be Hall Worthy:

#1 - My 1890's Spalding SEAMLESS (or 'Inside Out Stitch') Baseball. These are EXTREMELY Rare (possibly rarer than 'Lemon Pell' balls) and a great example of early baseball design ideas. I know that I have seen way more Lemon peels show up for sale than I have Seamless. In fact my Seamless is the only one I have ever actually seen (in person or in pictures)... I have only seen old catalog renditions...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Memorabilia/Balls/1890sSpaldingSeamlessBall1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Memorabilia/Balls/1890sSpaldingSeamlessBall2.jpg

#2 - My 2007 Matt Holliday GU World Series Hat. Matt only wore 2 hats in the 4 game sweep - 1 all black and 1 Alt w/ Purple Bill. It was the Rockies 1st World Series and therefore a historic event. In fact, they wore the purple bill hats in Game 1 - there 1st WS game!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Memorabilia/Hats/Holliday07WSGUCapAU.jpg

and TWO Honorable Mentions:

1) if Holliday stays as a Premiere player (and not the anomaly that happened in Oakland) and has a strong career, my 2000 Spring Training jersey of Holliday's - his ONLY jersey for ST 2000 and his 1st MLB ST - might be worthy...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Memorabilia/Jerseys/Holliday001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Memorabilia/Jerseys/Holliday002.jpg

2) already a HOFer, how about a GU Hat from 1994 - his LAST Season - of George 'Sparky' Anderson w/ Tigers COA:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Memorabilia/Hats/Anderson94GUCap.jpg

Great thread by the way!!!

- Chris

joelsabi
11-22-2009, 10:03 PM
I agree. That's a very nice piece.

I personally wouldn't loan anything to the HOF, since I think it looks better in my room :D

I think the only possible piece I have that could be remotely close to being HOF quality is Mark Kotsay's jersey worn when he became only the 2nd player in Atlanta Braves history to hit for the cycle. It would look nice if inside a display for Atlanta Braves equipment.

kyle,

in the hof.each team has a locker full of equipment. not sure if the items in the locker are from hof players of those teams or represent item from that are historical to the team. if its historical to the team, i would definitely see that item in the locker display. i dont think every team has a hof player so im thinking its historical items for the team. anyone know?

kylehess10
11-22-2009, 10:20 PM
kyle,

in the hof.each team has a locker full of equipment. not sure if the items in the locker are from hof players of those teams or represent item from that are historical to the team. if its historical to the team, i would definitely see that item in the locker display. i dont think every team has a hof player so im thinking its historical items for the team. anyone know?

I do know what you're talking about. The last time I was at the HOF, which was 2005, I remember seeing that room with lockers for each team. I was thinking very well that the Kotsay jersey would best fit in there. They always have random memorabilia from each team from what I remember. World Series memorabilia....record setting equipment,,etc.

ironmanfan
11-22-2009, 10:21 PM
Far be it from me to be the type to throw a cold bucket of water on you guys while you are in deep rem sleep :rolleyes: ......

.......but I thought you'd like to know...the Hall of Fame doesn't take "loans" of ANYTHING for display. It's got to be a "donation"....or it will not be displayed in the Hall of Fame. That's the policy, agreed with or not. They just don't take the responsibility for "loaned" items. I have inquired into this a long time ago and was sent a very nice response explaining their operation. If I can find it, I'll post it here.

I don't want to derail this thread, however I have to disagree with this statement that the Hall "doesn't take loans" of anything...

Obviously, the vast majority of the items they display have been gifted/donated to them, I did see actually see SEVERAL items with the notation "on loan from...." which actually gave me the idea for this thread.

The one that comes to mind first is the baseball that ended the 2004 World Series which is displayed with the notation that this ball was "on loan from Doug Mienkiewicz" (you think that Mienkiewicz just gave that baby to them???) Additionally, in the individual display cases of recent inductees Joe Gordon, Jim Rice and Rickey Henderson were various pieces noted as "on loan from....." Not all the loan items I noted were from players themselves, but "average people" too.

While I'm not certain, I also believe that the Barry Bonds infamous "asterisk" record record breaking 756th HR ball is "on loan" from Mark Ecko.

I think it's clear that the HOF would prefer to own all the items they display, BUT if someone had someone that "fit" what they were looking for at a particular time, it's painfully obvious that they are open to loans.

Without getting into semantics, I think most people understand the spirit of this thread (or at least I thought they would) and I'm looking forward to seeing what other people have to show...

ironmanfan
11-22-2009, 10:27 PM

In the room that was mentioned, they had the cleats that the Orioles' Felix Pie wore when he hit for the cycle last summer....The indivdual team lockers showcase "histroically significant" items from both regular & HOF players aike......Your Kotsay jersey is a great thought.

sayhey24
11-22-2009, 10:28 PM
Just to correct a statement made above, the HOF does indeed take items on loan. After the election of Dick Williams and Goose Gossage, the Hall borrowed a bat of each from my collection for one year. In the display case right next to my Williams bat was a beautiful Billy Southworth flannel, on loan from a prominent uniform collector. A year or two before, a couple of incredibly rare Negro League game bats were on display and described as on loan from a New Jersey collector. I also recall seeing several Joe Gordon items on display right now that I believe were on loan from the Gordon family (according to the small placards in the display case).

Greg

ironmanfan
11-22-2009, 10:35 PM
Just to correct a statement made above, the HOF does indeed take items on loan. After the election of Dick Williams and Goose Gossage, the Hall borrowed a bat of each from my collection for one year. In the display case right next to my Williams bat was a beautiful Billy Southworth flannel, on loan from a prominent uniform collector. A year or two before, a couple of incredibly rare Negro League game bats were on display and described as on loan from a New Jersey collector. I also recall seeing several Joe Gordon items on display right now that I believe were on loan from the Gordon family (according to the small placards in the display case).

Greg

Greg:

Thanks for the backup on this....After I sent my initial response to that erroneous remark, I remembered that a collector I knew loaned the HOF a Phil Niekro GU bat the year he was inducted as well.

joelsabi
11-22-2009, 10:44 PM
Additionally, in the individual display cases of recent inductees Joe Gordon, Jim Rice and Rickey Henderson were various pieces noted as "on loan from....." Not all the loan items I noted were from players themselves, but "average people" too.

For the Rickey Henderson HOF display, there is a 1981 Henderson A's Jersey on loan from Mark Simmons, a collector.

Like you said, the HOF prefers to own the item but if they discover an item that fits the theme of the display, the curator won't pass up the item.

Blitzmaster
11-23-2009, 12:59 AM
Just wanted to put some FOOTBALL in this thread since it was never established WHICH Hall of Fame!!!

1994 Jackie Slater "Turn Back the Clock" jersey. Worn twice and the only one out there of this Hall-of-Famer!!

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs230.snc1/7725_1228351718855_1530946506_638010_5449570_n.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=638011&id=1530946506)
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs230.snc1/7725_1228351758856_1530946506_638011_7012966_n.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=638011&id=1530946506)

tigerdale
11-23-2009, 10:48 AM
a few years back, I offered some items on loan to them. They replied w/ a letter, wanting only one of the items, it was the final ball pitched to a tigers hitter in tiger stadium (w/ a letter from jeff montgomery who was the pitcher). The letter had a fed ex number, I believe, with a prepaid shipping number...but the letter stated in was a donation. I replied back w/ a copy of the original letter, stating it was on a loan only condition.
I never sent the ball. Someday I'll run across the copy of their letter & post it...kind of cool to keep w/ the ball though...

harpt
11-23-2009, 01:14 PM
I have a Rollie Fingers hat from his Cy Young/MVP season (1981). Rollie donated it to the Ohio Sports Hall of Fame after the '81 season.

I know Brewers stuff is not that impressive nationally like Cards/Bubs/Yankees/Sox, etc, but it is a HOFer from his most celebrated season.

joelsabi
11-23-2009, 01:22 PM
I have a Rollie Fingers hat from his Cy Young/MVP season (1981). Rollie donated it to the Ohio Sports Hall of Fame after the '81 season.

I know Brewers stuff is not that impressive nationally like Cards/Bubs/Yankees/Sox, etc, but it is a HOFer from his most celebrated season.

Are you kidding? Yount, Molitor and company are great.

check out his collection:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BdyRp9IAH0

suave1477
11-23-2009, 01:34 PM
The only items I would possibly think would be hall of fame worthy in my collection would be.

2007 Record Breaking Alex Rodriguez Home Run Baseball - Broke the record for the most runs hit by a third baseman (Previsouly held by Mike Shmidt & Adrian Beltre) Same season as his MVP & Also he became the 4th Yankee to hit 50 Home Runs (This ball was #51)

1996 Darryl Strawberry Game Used Fielding glove worn through out the regular season, playoffs, & World Series.

harpt
11-23-2009, 01:51 PM
Are you kidding? Yount, Molitor and company are great.

check out his collection:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BdyRp9IAH0

I agree

DonFan23
11-23-2009, 03:40 PM
Greg:

Thanks for the backup on this....After I sent my initial response to that erroneous remark, I remembered that a collector I knew loaned the HOF a Phil Niekro GU bat the year he was inducted as well.

Agreed - they do take donations and items on loan. What they DO NOT do is purchase items. However, I've heard contradicting stories regarding how the Hall acquired its share of items from the Barry Halper Collection.

ironmanfan
11-23-2009, 03:49 PM
Agreed - they do take donations and items on loan. What they DO NOT do is purchase items. However, I've heard contradicting stories regarding how the Hall acquired its share of items from the Barry Halper Collection.

My understanding is that the Halper items were purchased by MLB and subsequently donated to the HOF

staindsox
11-23-2009, 03:58 PM
My understanding is that the Halper items were purchased by MLB and subsequently donated to the HOF

Yes, that is absolutely correct. The only item the Hall has ever "purchased" was the Doubleday ball...actually purchased by Stephen Clark.

treant985
11-23-2009, 04:25 PM
Only thing I have remotely close would be a 2001 Bonds SAM bat from the beginning of the season that was an incredible amount of use...then he broke it in half (subsequently put back together). I think this was before he started keeping every 'homer bat' so I'd like to think he hit a homer with it (although he started 2001 hitting terribly...).

Like an earlier poster, I'd love to photomatch it (it'd be easy today since the bat was split in 2), but I just can't find many photos from 2001.

metsbats
11-23-2009, 04:44 PM
Gary Carter milestone bats.

I wrote to the Hall to ask if they wanted them on loan but they wrote back telling me Carter filled up the case already :mad:

MUSEOVEN
11-23-2009, 04:47 PM
Hello: My Cesar Gutierrez 7-7 Ball Game.-;)

dirtyla2000
11-23-2009, 07:31 PM
1946 Montreal Royals Team Signed Championship Ball,includes Jackie Robinson! First Pro Season!

joelsabi
11-23-2009, 07:47 PM
Gary Carter milestone bats.

I wrote to the Hall to ask if they wanted them on loan but they wrote back telling me Carter filled up the case already :mad:

They dont give too much space for any one individual it seems. Heres a photo of the Rickey Henderson HOF display. They were able to fill much of it from the donation from Rickey himself. I imagine the preference is from the Player then the team and then other items if they deem it necessary to fill up the case. I guess it cuts down on any research of the items provenance and any liability. I have read stories of items being stolen from the HOF Museum.

Tay1038
11-24-2009, 05:35 PM
Very nice Ricky Henderson set up!

jdr3
11-24-2009, 06:58 PM
It is not in my collection any more, but at one time I owned the helmet Charley Taylor was wearing when he set the alltime NFL reception record. He wore it in the Pro Bowl but you can still see the Skins logo and paint underneath the white paint. I was easy to photo match because of the snaps just above the forehead.

rj_lucas
11-25-2009, 02:16 PM
Not sure if they do this routinely, but when I gave some items to the HOF a number of years ago they issued a lifetime pass, which was a nice gesture.

Of my current stuff, I imagine a few of the Albert Pujols items might rate HOF interest (sorry, too lazy to post photos for everything):

2001 game-used bat, vintage signed and dated (only dated rookie bat I’ve seen; if anyone has seen another I’d be very interested to hear).

First base from 4/8/09 game where Albert set the Cards record for most assists by first baseman in a single game (and the most since the MLB record was set in 1971).

Dugout lineup card from 6/19/09 game where he scored his 1000th career run.

Dugout lineup card from 8/8/09 game where he became the first NL player in history to begin their career with nine consecutive seasons of 100 or more RBIs.

Dugout lineup card from 9/5/09 game where he hit his first career extra-inning pinch hit home run.

First base from 10/3/09 game where Albert tied the MLB record for most assists by first baseman in a single season (base from record-breaking game was retained by the Cards for their Milestones Collection).

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

suicide_squeeze
11-25-2009, 03:58 PM
Greg:

LOL.....I get such a kick out of this "forum".

Erroneous remark?

Why don't YOU, ironmanfan, and sayhey24, back up your claims with something other than just hearsay.

Understand, the world hasn't been following any standards for a LONG time, and all I have to go by is what I was told, by the Hall of Fame themselves. I have no control over "favors" being done to the Hall by players themselves, or privilaged individuals who have worked some kind of a side-show deal to "loan" their "item", whatever the F it is to the Hall who apparently is like ever other Government run or BIG-BIZ-like run company......full of FRAUD, and full of SHIT.

I will find the damn email I was sent by them essentially telling me, if it isn't a gift, no thanks.

NO WHERE in the letter did they mention a "loan" was any kind of a possibility. THAT'S WHAT I WAS ASKING THEM....IF THEY WANTED IT ON LOAN!!!

I know what they TOLD ME their policy was, because I actually followed it up with a phone call, and spoke to a super nice gentlemen 8 years ago. I did not record the phone call, and I don't remember his name, but whogaf? I am not here to constantly feel like every time I share something, or tell YOU guys something I have been told by the very people YOU are referring to, I am called out as giving mis-information, making wrong statements, or as ironmanfan so cutely put it....an "erroneous remark".

Then, like a wounded little soul, he finds it necessary to thank another member for the "back-up" proving that he is correct about calling my comments an "erroneous remark".

Are you guys serious? REALLY?

It's no wonder Bob (skyking) threw the towel in on this forum. It just gets to the point where there's no reason any longer to run with the lambs.

If you, ironmanfan, for any reason felt I was "attacking" the essence of your thread, then you missed the boat entirely. I read your thread, obviously interested in it, and posted accordingly. I'm really sorry if the "essence" of my comment upset you.

suicide_squeeze
11-25-2009, 04:00 PM
Yes Rick, they do still offer lifetime memberships with free lifetime admission if you donate an item to them.

OK GUYS.......FIRE AWAY!

xpress34
11-25-2009, 04:08 PM
2001 game-used bat, vintage signed and dated (only dated rookie bat I’ve seen; if anyone has seen another I’d be very interested to hear).

Rick -

Very nice bat! While not GU, I have a ball that Albert signed for me early in 2002 when the Cards were in town to play the Rox.

At the time, I was working Loss prevention for Niketown Denver and as part of my job, I escorted every player that came to the store. I got to spend almost 4 hours with Albert and when he was done and was checking out, I took my lunch break, ran across the street to the Rockies dugout store, bought a ball, and came back to the Pavilions Mall and caught Albert as he was leaving Nike. Nobody really knew who he was here yet and he was very polite and signed the ball along with a ROY inscription. While I have seen his ROY on many GU items (I own a hat), I have NEVER seen another ROY inscribed ball with his early sig.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Memorabilia/Balls/PujolsAutos4.jpg

Like yourself with your bat, if anyone else has a ROY inscribed ball from the 2001 - 2002 period, I would love to see it.

- Chris

33bird
11-25-2009, 04:10 PM
I mostly have Big Red Machine stuff, but these two items might have a chance: Jeff Kent 2004 NLCS game 5 walk off HR bat (assuming he makes it-which he should). And Bill Russell's 1960s shorts with #6 sewn in. I haven't seen a better Kent game used item and I don't think there's a lot of Bill Russell stuff out there, but I could be wrong.

suicide_squeeze
11-25-2009, 04:17 PM
They dont give too much space for any one individual it seems. Heres a photo of the Rickey Henderson HOF display. They were able to fill much of it from the donation from Rickey himself. I imagine the preference is from the Player then the team and then other items if they deem it necessary to fill up the case. I guess it cuts down on any research of the items provenance and any liability. I have read stories of items being stolen from the HOF Museum.

Joel,

This sounds totally logical, and was exactly what I thought the circumstances were in regards to items in the Hall. But....I was told otherwise........BY the Hall.

So if there are items there displayed as "On loan..." then I am disappointed to say they gave me very much the wrong impression when they responded to my VERY question on this subject, written and verbally. If they just didn't want the item I was offering for "loan", why not just say so?

This is a good example why people grow tired of all the lies, the misinformation, and the B.S. and become cynical about life in general. There are motives behind everything, and integrity and morals are nowhere to be found in this world we live in any longer. Maybe, the guy on the phone thought I'd have a temporary mental lapse and give him my Babe Ruth very last career at-bat game used bat as a "gift" to the Hall because ......"We don't take loans" would have hurt my feelings that they weren't interested in it......so he gave it a shot? LOL.

I don't have any problem with disagreements on any comments made here, by myself or anyone. We all have our opinions. But my comments were not erroneous in ANY way. To be subtlely attacked by guys who either have player friends who are shown special circumstancial preferences, or they know of a few "special deals" that have occured, doesn't make you instantly "wrong".

Whatever, I could care less. I will post the damn email when I get home so you guys can have more fun.

staindsox
11-25-2009, 04:22 PM
LOL.....I get such a kick out of this "forum".

Erroneous remark?

Why don't YOU, ironmanfan, and sayhey24, back up your claims with something other than just hearsay.

Understand, the world hasn't been following any standards for a LONG time, and all I have to go by is what I was told, by the Hall of Fame themselves. I have no control over "favors" being done to the Hall by players themselves, or privilaged individuals who have worked some kind of a side-show deal to "loan" their "item", whatever the F it is to the Hall who apparently is like ever other Government run or BIG-BIZ-like run company......full of FRAUD, and full of SHIT.

I will find the damn email I was sent by them essentially telling me, if it isn't a gift, no thanks.

NO WHERE in the letter did they mention a "loan" was any kind of a possibility. THAT'S WHAT I WAS ASKING THEM....IF THEY WANTED IT ON LOAN!!!

I know what they TOLD ME their policy was, because I actually followed it up with a phone call, and spoke to a super nice gentlemen 8 years ago. I did not record the phone call, and I don't remember his name, but whogaf? I am not here to constantly feel like every time I share something, or tell YOU guys something I have been told by the very people YOU are referring to, I am called out as giving mis-information, making wrong statements, or as ironmanfan so cutely put it....an "erroneous remark".

Then, like a wounded little soul, he finds it necessary to thank another member for the "back-up" proving that he is correct about calling my comments an "erroneous remark".

Are you guys serious? REALLY?

It's no wonder Bob (skyking) threw the towel in on this forum. It just gets to the point where there's no reason any longer to run with the lambs.

If you, ironmanfan, for any reason felt I was "attacking" the essence of your thread, then you missed the boat entirely. I read your thread, obviously interested in it, and posted accordingly. I'm really sorry if the "essence" of my comment upset you.

I know for a fact that Ty Cobb's false teeth were on loan and not actually part of the Hall's collection when they had a small wing displaying a portion of Barry Halper's collection. It is extremely rare for the Hall to only take an item as a loan.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1022686/index.htm

suicide_squeeze
11-25-2009, 04:23 PM
a few years back, I offered some items on loan to them. They replied w/ a letter, wanting only one of the items, it was the final ball pitched to a tigers hitter in tiger stadium (w/ a letter from jeff montgomery who was the pitcher). The letter had a fed ex number, I believe, with a prepaid shipping number...but the letter stated in was a donation. I replied back w/ a copy of the original letter, stating it was on a loan only condition.
I never sent the ball. Someday I'll run across the copy of their letter & post it...kind of cool to keep w/ the ball though...

Hey!!....tigerdale.......Yo, whaddup, MAN!!???

THANKS for BACKING ME UP!!!!

:rolleyes:

By the way, if you HAD sent the ball......you'd have caught HELL trying to get it back. But the reality is they would have refused it if you hadn't "signed" the "donation" letter.......because they don't do loans as I understand it.....

......unless of course you are one of the privilaged "friends", or rich baseball players of the recent years......LOL

suicide_squeeze
11-25-2009, 04:27 PM
I know for a fact that Ty Cobb's false teeth were on loan and not actually part of the Hall's collection when they had a small wing displaying a portion of Barry Halper's collection. It is extremely rare for the Hall to only take an item as a loan.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1022686/index.htm

Well, more sanity hits the board.

Thank you staindsox for the clarity.

This once again proves.....as anyone who sets policies and standards in the world we live in, it's up to them to follow their own rules, if and when they want to. Obviously......rules and policies don't mean squat anymore, because they are totally subjective.....to whatever the powers to be want.

suicide_squeeze
11-25-2009, 04:39 PM

Greg

So Greg,

PLEASE.....share the story with us?

How did the Hall of Fame come to take your two bats on "loan"? What made the "connection"? Did you contact them after reading of a certain display that was up and coming? (Williams and Goose)? How did this all come about? Or...and I mean this.....are you someone who has friends in high places at the Hall? Are you an ex-ballplayer? What circumstance led your two bats to be loaned to the Hall?

I really am sincerely interested in knowing. Thanks in advance for your response.

yanks12025
11-25-2009, 04:39 PM
The only things that the hall may want are 3 posters that i have. No one really knows what they were made for. But experts believe they were made in 1926 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the National League. I have seen only 2-3 copys of each team that i have. Also i did bring one up to the HOF before and they said they had never seen them before.

xpress34
11-25-2009, 05:24 PM
This is an FYI ONLY!!! I am NOT siding with anyone here because I know that ALL Rules have an Exception. I'm simply stating the AVAILABLE facts for facts sake, so PLEASE - do not 'thank me' for 'backing' anyone... I'm just trying to navigate another thread that has headed off the tracks back on course.

I'm sure somewhere in the By Laws of the HOF, they too make exceptions to their own rules. That said, this is from the HOF's website about making a DONATION. No where does it mention being able to make a LOAN or them accepting loans. It does address the fact however that DONORS of 3 Dimensional artifacts will recieve a LIFETIME PASS and a Donors Certificate.

(As to why no one else could have copied and pasted this before is beyond me... I think members here just like to argue with each other for the sake of arguing and this thread has become another example of that.)

http://community.baseballhall.org/Page.aspx?pid=374
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Donate an Artifact

Gifts of objects associated with baseball's history are essential to the growth and educational potential of the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum and artifacts are actively sought. Past donations have provided the Museum with the outstanding collection that continues to appeal to all generations from varied backgrounds throughout the world.
There are, however, many great stories from the past and present which need acknowledgment in Cooperstown. The Hall of Fame acquires appropriate objects for its collection solely through gifts from the general public and amateur and professional baseball organizations. Baseball enthusiasts and historians are always welcome to contribute to the Museum's holdings and become an active participant in the Hall of Fame's future.
All objects submitted for acquisition are reviewed by members of the Museum's Accessions Committee, which is charged with accepting only those items of historic significance which support the Museum's education and exhibit programs. Only after this group gives its approval do submitted objects become registered artifacts.
If you own an object that is part of our pastime's history, and you would be interested in sharing it with fans everywhere, not only at the present time, but for generations to come, the Hall of Fame would like to hear from you. To ensure that the Accessions Committee has all the information it needs to properly evaluate your proposed donation, please be sure to submit the following information:
A photograph of the object
A brief description of the piece, including dimensions
All available information on the age and origin of the object
Potential donor's name, address and phone number
Any other information about the history of the objectAll proposals are welcome in hopes you will join the Hall of Fame in preserving the heritage and future of the national pastime. Proposals may be addressed to:
Registrar
National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum
25 Main Street
Cooperstown, NY 13326
Although the Museum and its staff are prohibited from providing appraisals of any object, donations to the Museum may be tax deductible to the extent of the full fair market value of the objects donated. In addition, donors of three-dimensional artifacts will receive a lifetime pass to the Museum and a donor's certificate. Library donors will receive a certificate of donation.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this puts this issue to rest so that the thread can get back on topic. I would like to see other people's items that they believe might be 'Hall Worthy', not more of this same ole', same ole' drivel that seems to infect every thread here lately.

- Chris

Swoboda4
11-25-2009, 07:00 PM
Only two I think. Detroit's Davy Jones letter to author Lawrence Ritter thanking him for sharing profits from his book,"The Glory of Their Times"
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l11/redmills/aaa5555.jpg?t=1259193162
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l11/redmills/aaa666.jpg?t=1259193223
http://images.absoluteastronomy.com/images/topicimages/t/th/the_glory_of_their_times.gif
And dykstra's 1986 post season home jersey:
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0416/mlb_g_dykstra_celebrate_400.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l11/redmills/dykstra1.jpg?t=1259193523
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l11/redmills/dykstra2.jpg?t=1259193583

staindsox
11-25-2009, 07:23 PM
I also wanted to comment on a library/museum's perspective on donations. At first glance, it looks like a good deal. After all, they're getting something for free, right? A lot of people don't see quite how expensive each donation can be.

Let's take something simple like a book. It costs at least $50-100 for most places to accept a title.

1) They would have a professional cataloger examine it and create and entry with appropriate classifications and housing location (what use is it if nobody can find it). Even if a cataloger spends 20 minutes with it, that adds up fast.

2) Security features are added; like taddle tape or microembossing. The books might be processed with a spine label and it might also be encased in a mylar type plastic or get its own archival box. You're paying someone to do all of that, plus the cost of materials.

3) Then they house it in a climate controlled vault. They only have a certain amount of square footage. The space it uses is an expense.

4) I don't know what kind of insurance they have, but each addtional item would in theory cost them more here too. Of course this is particularly relevant if the item is of significant value.

If you wanted to really get granual and start talking about other expenses, your cataloging software, online catalog, computers/server/etc, and security systems are also costs.

Anyway, I won't argue each expense. Some are a matter of accounting and depreciation and I'm sure I left other costs out, but the general point is, each donation is expensive. That is why they really only try to take items to fill holes in their collection. Even if you have a fantastic item worthy of their collection, they might not take it if they already have something like it.

Chris

suicide_squeeze
11-25-2009, 08:24 PM
OK...no big surprize here.

Found a copy of my old email. It's the exact same "generic" response that the Hall apparently sends to everyone who inquires or emails them in regards to donations or "loans"....

I will post the pics of the actual copies, and also provide pdf links which are much easier to read.

I have blacked out my address and home phone number for obvious reasons.

First, actual photos of the email, then pdf links:

sayhey24
11-25-2009, 09:13 PM
No problem sharing my story, although it's not too exciting. I'm just a collector who noticed back when the Hall put together an exhibit highlighting Ichiro breaking George Sisler's hit record, that they used a replica or post career Sisler bat in the display (it was identified as such -- I just can't remember which it was). At the time I mentioned to someone there that I had a Sisler gamer and would have gladly loaned it. I contacted the Hall after the Southworth/Gossage/Williams election and offered bats of all three, and they asked for the two.
My guess is the loans primarily are accepted for the displays of new inductees-- those displays are temporary -- they're only up for one year until the next group of new inductees is honored.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Greg

Swoboda4
11-25-2009, 10:26 PM
I think the idea of this thread is to SHOW what item of yours is believed to be HOF worthy. When it was mentioned early on that this is a great thread,it was in anticipation of some interesting photos to come. Not to debate whether there is a loan policy in effect at the HOF.

suicide_squeeze
11-25-2009, 10:27 PM
No problem sharing my story, although it's not too exciting. I'm just a collector who noticed back when the Hall put together an exhibit highlighting Ichiro breaking George Sisler's hit record, that they used a replica or post career Sisler bat in the display (it was identified as such -- I just can't remember which it was). At the time I mentioned to someone there that I had a Sisler gamer and would have gladly loaned it. I contacted the Hall after the Southworth/Gossage/Williams election and offered bats of all three, and they asked for the two.
My guess is the loans primarily are accepted for the displays of new inductees-- those displays are temporary -- they're only up for one year until the next group of new inductees is honored.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Greg

Greg, thanks for sharing. Interesting concept, and you very well may be right. Did you supply "photos" of your bats of Williams and Gossage when you asked the Hall if they wanted to borrow all three? Again, just curious.

And guys, the reason I am curious is this:

At the time I asked the question to the Hall, I had just bought one of the most significant bats on the face of the earth (not my opinion....the opinion of many baseball historians who have aired it out on threads everywhere). The bat marked the end......the finale.......of the most hallowed career in the annuls of baseball history....perhaps sports history in general. The Babe's last at-bat game used bat, dropped by him on his gallop to first base, and after being thrown out, picked up off the field by the Boston Braves #4 hitter (behind Babe in the line-up), Wally Berger.

Wally idolized the Babe, and it was a dream-come-true for him when Ruth was signed for what was to be his last hoorah on the Braves. As most of you know, he signed because he believed the deal was the first step in becoming manager of a Major League team, something the Babe always wanted to do upon retired from active play. When he figured out that wasn't to be the case, he was unhappy, grounded out using this very bat and while walking back into the dug-out uttered the imfamous words "I quit".

Wally asked him, with the bat still in his hand, if he could keep the Babe's bat as a momento. Babe, being the ever-so-gracious giver he was said "Sure kid, keep it".

Wally kept the bat until the day he died, which has been attested to by his wife. She eventually gave the bat to Barry Halper, and the rest is history.

Can you guys understand how I could come to the conclusion that the Hall of Fame, after turning down the "loan" of this bat, must have meant they don't do loans, period?

I mean, I wasn't offering them some piece of insignificant garbage only made valuable between my ears because I owned it??? They sent me a freaking FORM response to that offer, explaining ......well, you guys can read it below. It speaks for itself.....the very same wording express34 (Chris) posted.

So Greg, your "theory" just may be correct.....if the item fits the present-day need, the rules get lax.....I understand it completely.

suicide_squeeze
11-25-2009, 10:33 PM
I think the idea of this thread is to SHOW what item of yours is believed to be HOF worthy. When it was mentioned early on that this is a great thread,it was in anticipation of some interesting photos to come. Not to debate whether there is a loan policy in effect at the HOF.

Swo,

Agreed, and I plan on posting a few (finally) sometime this weekend.

But is there a problem with adding a comment directly associated to the thread? Is it so necessary to have tunnel vision on ever topic?

I think the comments, taken as whatever you want to take them to mean, have actually added to the quality of this thread in addition to the pictures of all the great stuff. I know I feel I've learned something by it.

So relax.....it's all good.

sayhey24
11-25-2009, 10:36 PM
Squeeze -- I totally understand your line of thinking. I do believe I emailed photos initially, although I can't be 100 % sure of that.
Your bat is absolutely unbelievable -- you could build your own Hall with that as the centerpiece!

Greg

suicide_squeeze
11-25-2009, 10:43 PM
Squeeze -- I totally understand your line of thinking. I do believe I emailed photos initially, although I can't be 100 % sure of that.
Your bat is absolutely unbelievable -- you could build your own Hall with that as the centerpiece!

Greg

Thanks Greg......and I forgot to wish you and everyone here a Happy Thanksgiving as well.

Regards, http://www.barbandgreg.com/images/Emoticons/turkey.gif

Steve

xpress34
11-25-2009, 11:21 PM
Steve (SS)... just for future Reference, it's Xpress34, not Express34... ;)

As far as HOF Worthy items - and after reading the Baseball HOF letter regarding donations, I might offer them a VERY significant piece for the Colorado Rockies 'locker'...

I own a GU Seth Smith World Series Hat:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Memorabilia/Hats/Smith07GUWSCap.jpg

It is significant because the Rox wore their Purple Bill caps in Game 4 - the Final Game of their 1st World Series appearance - and Seth Smith was the FINAL OUT of the Series.

I have LOA from the Rox and all and I only have a small investment in the hat that would be more than worth a HOF Cert in my collection as well as a Lifetime Pass from the Hall...

The only thing that is holding me back is that Smith is also my last name and Seth is a really nice guy with a lot of upside potential... but, I have also shopped the hat to a few 'Ole Miss' alums as well... in fact, good Rockies trivia here:

A lot of people know that Peyton manning started as Todd Helton's backup as QB at Tennessee... did you know that Seth Smith was Eli manning's backup QB at Ole' Miss?

- Chris

BoneRubbedBat
11-26-2009, 10:10 AM
Carl Crawford's very first MLB game-used glove. Autographed and inscribed by Crawford stating that fact. Also has LOA from Crawford.

joelsabi
11-26-2009, 10:15 AM
Steve (SS)... just for future Reference, it's Xpress34, not Express34... ;)

in fact, good Rockies trivia here:

A lot of people know that Peyton manning started as Todd Helton's backup as QB at Tennessee... did you know that Seth Smith was Eli manning's backup QB at Ole' Miss?

- Chris

Cool. Beer bet material.

karamaxjoe
11-26-2009, 01:10 PM
Only two I think. Detroit's Davy Jones letter to author Lawrence Ritter thanking him for sharing profits from his book,"The Glory of Their Times"
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l11/redmills/aaa5555.jpg?t=1259193162
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l11/redmills/aaa666.jpg?t=1259193223

Wow, that is a great piece and beautifully displayed. I wish I could find the same kind of letter from Jimmy Austin to Ritter.

Swoboda4
11-27-2009, 01:29 AM
Mike,thanks. The Ritter estate placed many of Mr.Ritters letters on e-bay a year or so ago. They surface every so often. Just about every player mentioned in the book received a check from Ritter and sent a thank you letter.

(suicide,nothing wrong about adding to a topic. Sorry about that. But the side dishes out-weighed the main course by a factor of 4)

HALL OF FAME WORTHY?-Letters from players thankfull,some in dire straits,in need of a card show to live,showing disparity in income of past stars.(VanDerMeer is appreciative, McLain is desparate,and an elderly NY Giant, Joe Moore being asked to come to his first card show is hoping not to disappoint)
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l11/redmills/AAA444.jpg?t=1259302104
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l11/redmills/aaabdddd1.jpg?t=1259302918
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l11/redmills/aaaa223344.jpg?t=1259302990
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l11/redmills/aaa8888.jpg?t=1259303040
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l11/redmills/aaa7777.jpg?t=1259303094

sylbry
11-27-2009, 10:21 AM
Mike,thanks. The Ritter estate placed many of Mr.Ritters letters on e-bay a year or so ago. They surface every so often. Just about every player mentioned in the book received a check from Ritter and sent a thank you letter.

Not to change the subject but I have a Christmas card from Harry Hooper to Ritter.

Swoboda4
11-27-2009, 07:46 PM
sylbry,almost all the players mentioned in Ritter's book were eternally gratefull and your letter is an example of that.

HOCKEY HOF WORTHY: game used stick of HOF'er Rod Gibert 1973-74 season(and Derek Sanderson's) with the NY Rangers. Gilbert had 406 lifetime goals.
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l11/redmills/hockey4.jpg?t=1259368331
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l11/redmills/hockey3.jpg?t=1259368856
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l11/redmills/hockey2.jpg?t=1259368898
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0901/nhl.classic.lines/images/rod-gilbert.jpg

sylbry
11-27-2009, 08:28 PM
sylbry,almost all the players mentioned in Ritter's book were eternally gratefull and your letter is an example of that.

Especially Hooper, Coveleski, and Marquard.

Mark17
11-27-2009, 09:56 PM
I know it's once again veering off-topic, but anything involving Larry Ritter and/or "The Glory of Their Times" is super interesting to me. Ritter was such a nice fellow, and his giving money to the ballplayers who worked with him on that book is so consistent with how much Larry appreciated and respected them.

Back in the early days of Amazon.com, I wrote the first review of "The Glory of Their Times" online, stating it is my favorite book of all time, and that I'd owned several copies, and so on. Much to my amazement, I received an email from Larry thanking me for the review, and offering to mail me a free first edition hardcover, autographed, copy of the book!!! What a thrill!

I accepted the offer and asked him about Chief Meyers. Not sure why I chose him, I was just as interested in Joe Wood or Sam Crawford, but anyway, along with the book, Larry sent me the following letter, and a several-page long article he had written shortly after Chief Meyers' death.

He and the Chief had become very close friends, and the stories he tells in the article are great! Like Chief, working for the Mets, replying to a fan requesting a sample of infield dirt, reaching over and pinching some soil from a nearby potted plant to send to the fan.

Those old players loved Larry Ritter and he loved them back, and I love his book and feel fortunate to have been able to tell him so.

Swoboda4
11-28-2009, 08:06 AM
mark17, Ritter brought to our attention that great players,after their playing days assimilated back into society and lived in our midst with most of us not knowing that the quiet gentleman down the block or on a farm up the road,was once a superstar. Now mind you the lack of payment from owner to player kind of forced that issue,but I still admire the player that came back to live a normal life. Case in point:

HALL OF FAME WORTHY?(correspondence to a fan). Riggs Stephenson. MLB 1921-34. Unniversity of Alabama quarterback. 14 yrs in majors. Highest lifetime average of someone not in the HOF,.336!
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l11/redmills/zrigs5.jpg?t=1259411947

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l11/redmills/zrigs3.jpg?t=1259412749

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l11/redmills/zrigs2.jpg?t=1259412820

In a day and age when athletes and their brokers keep fans at arms length it was refreshing to know there was a time when players used to write back when receiving a request. This item,is an example of a questionaire that used to be sent to players and surprisingly many were returned to the fan completely filed out and signed. This questionaire cost about $35 dollars on e-bay and then I bought a frame,mat and typed the rest on the computer. I rather own this than a $150 scribbled ball from Steiner.
There should be a corner in the HOF that shows this past interaction between fan and player.

Ollie
11-28-2009, 01:08 PM
I have the uniform that Mussina wore when he got his career 2500th K with photomatching display. Moose should (IMO) get into the HOF!

suicide_squeeze
11-29-2009, 11:56 AM
Individually, I would say these bats are each museaum pieces. Together, I'd put them up against any grouping of five bats in the world....

-Babe Ruths very last at bat game used bat; It is important to note this bat is a one-year model 1932 bat. It was picked up off the field by Wally Berger, who upon hearing the Babe utter the imfamous words "I quit". asked Ruth if he could keep tha bat as a momento. Babe replied "Sure kid, keep it." Wally Berger kept the bat as his favorite keepsake until the day he died. His wife ended up giving the bat to Barry Halper, where the bat resided until the famous Halper collection auction of 1999. The fact that the bat is a 1932 model, many historians have argued, that it could have been one of Babe's favorites, and a bat that having been around for four years may have been used to hit a substantial amount of Babe's late home runs. Although that is pure speculation, one has to wonder why Babe would keep a bat around from 1932 and still be using it in 1935....the bat that marked the end of the most hollowed career in baseball history.

-Ted Williams 517th home run bat. (In 1939, Ted Williams hit his 28th home run of his rookie season off of Thornton Lee. a pitcher for the Chicago White Sox. 21 years later, he hit this home run off of Thornton's son, Don Lee, of Washington.) Also, tha bat is the rare "U1" model ordered by Ted only one time in his entire career, in 1960...a 36" 35 oz. warclub! Ted himself publicly presented the bat to a local car dealership owner, a personal friend of Ted and a large donator to Ted's favorite charity, the "Jimmy Fund", where the bat was displayed on the wall of the dealership until his family later sold the bat after his death.

-Roger Maris' 49th home run bat from 1961; This bat was obtained by a Cleveland security guard while securing the dug-out of the Yankees just after Maris hit his 49th home run of the season against the Indians. The guard, upon receiving the bat from Maris himself wrote a letter to a daughter telling her of his amazing gift, and gave her the bat. In his letter, he mentions to her to "Keep this bat. It will be worth something some day." The bat, which has an overlined/underlined "MARIS" written in Roger's hand is about as close to a Rgaer Maris signed gamer as one could ever hope to find.

-Hank Aaron's 740th home run bat; Hit off of the one and only Nolan Ryan, signed and dated by both, with Hank Aaron adding the home run inscription. This bat is the highest known home run bat held in private hands that has reasched the public auction circuit...a pretty amazing piece.

-Willie Mays' 620th home run bat; This bat, upon my winning it, became a 5 year project for me. It comes with a signed "Willie Mays" letter on Giants stationery attesting to the fact it was his 620th home run, also his 2,999 career hit, which was marked as such by the bat boy at the time of the event. I Met Willie four times to have him sign it, and finally add the infamous inscription. Willie, being no fool in this collectors hobby of ours, made me pay handsomely to have it simply signed, then refused to add the rest. That's because he knew I would come see him again, and he could ream me for more money to get him to add the inscription, which is exactly what happened. As it stands, this is the ONLY KNOWN signed and inscribed Willie Mays home run bat in the hobby.....and has impeccable provenance.

Pictures to follow.

suicide_squeeze
11-29-2009, 12:02 PM
In order, the bats mentioned below....

-Babe Ruth's last game used at-bat lumber;

-Ted Williams 517th career home run bat;

-Roger Maris' 49th home run from 1961;

-Hank Aaron's 740th home run bat (hit off of H.O.F. Nolan Ryan);

-Willie Mays' 620 career home run bat;

suicide_squeeze
11-29-2009, 12:05 PM
(cont.)

suicide_squeeze
11-29-2009, 12:06 PM
...last three...

Swoboda4
11-29-2009, 01:05 PM
http://www.ultimatedisney.com/images/h-k/hustler-16.jpg
"suicide squeeze,your talking my kind of talk"
"What do you think Fast Eddie?"
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews28/a%20the%20hustler%20paul%20newman/r1%20the%20hustler%20HUSTLER-8.jpg
"That's the best five I've ever seen. The best,Fats"
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews31/a%20the%20hustler%20collectors%20edition/ce%20the%20hustler%20PDVD_000.jpg

"suicide squeeze,now you're "talking"."

yanks12025
11-29-2009, 01:09 PM
suicide,
All i can say is WOW!

spartakid
11-29-2009, 01:17 PM
Beautiful....:eek:

slam
11-29-2009, 02:02 PM
Wow!

cjw
11-29-2009, 02:06 PM
Incredible group! I love Hank but I couldn't decide which bat I'd rather have...if I could afford even one! What is the rough market value of that group...btw? chris

suicide_squeeze
11-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Incredible group! I love Hank but I couldn't decide which bat I'd rather have...if I could afford even one! What is the rough market value of that group...btw? chris

Chris, that's a loaded question. The Ruth bat could go for well over $100K by itself. The others, individually, could approach that number on a good day in a healthy economy. But to any one collector, value could be based on the pure collectibility of the player they are going after, to try to obtain that one centerpiece for their collection. So with that in mind, this grouping is worth a potential bundle.

It's my personal "401K".

I hate the stock market and will never invest it in. It's riddled with fraud. These pieces bring such a warm sense of everything that is right about America, through the greatest sport ever invented in the world IMO, baseball. That's why I collect.

Enjoy.....Thanks to all for the nice comments......glad to share with you guys.

Mac670
11-29-2009, 03:28 PM
Suicide

One awesome collection of bats. Trully, Hall of Fame. Why go to Cooperstown, all you need is to look at your stuff. :eek:

Anthony

geoff
11-29-2009, 03:57 PM
Wow those Bats are very Nice.

Larry Pelliccioni
11-29-2009, 04:06 PM
Road Detroit Tigers 1968 flannel of Al Kaline #6.

allstarsplus
11-29-2009, 04:39 PM
I am glad Steve posted a few photos so everyone could get a small glimpse into his private museum, and hopefully those that didn't realize before what an asset Steve is to the Forum now understand that he has one of the best baseball HR hitters collections outside of the HOF.

I am happy to have helped Steve on some of his smaller (compared to these bats) acquisitions and happy to call Steve a good friend.

Now that Steve has shared with the world these photos, he has lost some of his anonymity while gaining some nice accolades.

This is such a great topic that was started, and unfortunately so many with HOF quality collections probably won't post for a variety of reasons.

harpt
11-29-2009, 05:09 PM
Road Detroit Tigers 1968 flannel of Al Kaline #6.
Forgive me if you've posted this before and I missed it, but i would love to see a photo of this jersey. My father-in-law is a great Kaline fan.

worldchamps
11-29-2009, 05:58 PM
Well Suicide Squeeze just laid down the Royal flush.

Turn in your cards and thanks for playing.

MLB_Authentic
11-29-2009, 05:58 PM
Speaking of flush, I did poop a little when I saw those.

Masimen
11-29-2009, 07:30 PM
Wow! Suicide, that is simply breathe taking. Very very nice!
Steve

suicide_squeeze
11-29-2009, 07:38 PM
mark17, Ritter brought to our attention that great players,after their playing days assimilated back into society and lived in our midst with most of us not knowing that the quiet gentleman down the block or on a farm up the road,was once a superstar. Now mind you the lack of payment from owner to player kind of forced that issue,but I still admire the player that came back to live a normal life. Case in point:

HALL OF FAME WORTHY?(correspondence to a fan). Riggs Stephenson. MLB 1921-34. Unniversity of Alabama quarterback. 14 yrs in majors. Highest lifetime average of someone not in the HOF,.336!
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l11/redmills/zrigs5.jpg?t=1259411947

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l11/redmills/zrigs3.jpg?t=1259412749

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l11/redmills/zrigs2.jpg?t=1259412820

In a day and age when athletes and their brokers keep fans at arms length it was refreshing to know there was a time when players used to write back when receiving a request. This item,is an example of a questionaire that used to be sent to players and surprisingly many were returned to the fan completely filed out and signed. This questionaire cost about $35 dollars on e-bay and then I bought a frame,mat and typed the rest on the computer. I rather own this than a $150 scribbled ball from Steiner.
There should be a corner in the HOF that shows this past interaction between fan and player.

Swoboda4,

I would say that the type of items you have shown, and this one in particular, is what makes baseball collecting so special. These are pieces that belong in the Hall of Fame. You have exposes the single most important aspect of what is so intriguing about the "old guys".

And it is also a statement about the class of today's athletes, and could be used as evidence in a case study of how money infects an otherwise good fellow human being and citizen. It's a bit obvious that todays athletes take their fans for granted, and do very little to "give" back to the game that made them so rich and famous.

I will always be drawn to items such as what Swo has shared with us here, and the thank you letters from the players who unknowingly, unexpectaingly, and without asking, received shared monies from the profits of the sale of the great book "The Glory Of Our Time". It just shows a whole other level of character of a generation lost, and what all of us true baseball historians long for again.

Maybe a new baseball Commissioner can work towards that goal....to create an atmosphere that would bring a new kind of "closeness" between the players of this game and their fans.

I'm sure not going to hold my breath, but it's a nice thought. Thanks for sharing Swo......super nice items.

suicide_squeeze
11-29-2009, 07:41 PM
Swoboda4,

I would say that the type of items you have shown, and this one in particular, is what makes baseball collecting so special. These are pieces that belong in the Hall of Fame. You have exposes the single most important aspect of what is so intriguing about the "old guys".

And it is also a statement about the class of today's athletes, and could be used as evidence in a case study of how money infects an otherwise good fellow human being and citizen. It's a bit obvious that todays athletes take their fans for granted, and do very little to "give" back to the game that made them so rich and famous.

I will always be drawn to items such as what Swo has shared with us here, and the thank you letters from the players who unknowingly, unexpectaingly, and without asking, received shared monies from the profits of the sale of the great book "The Glory Of Our Time". It just shows a whole other level of character of a generation lost, and what all of us true baseball historians long for again.

Maybe a new baseball Commissioner can work towards that goal....to create an atmosphere that would bring a new kind of "closeness" between the players of this game and their fans.

I'm sure not going to hold my breath, but it's a nice thought. Thanks for sharing Swo......super nice items.

Sorry for butchering the name of the book in my haste to type quickly....

Should have read "The Glory Of Their Times".

gameused
11-29-2009, 08:52 PM
Steve,

That's an awesome collection of vintage bats! The Willie Mays bat is a gem!

Also, I'm curious, what did Nolan Ryan say when he was presented the Hank Aaron bat to sign?

Thanks, Bobby

suicide_squeeze
11-29-2009, 09:42 PM
Steve,

That's an awesome collection of vintage bats! The Willie Mays bat is a gem!

Also, I'm curious, what did Nolan Ryan say when he was presented the Hank Aaron bat to sign?

Thanks, Bobby

He flat out refused. He said it would be a "cold day in hell before I ever sign a bat used to deposit one of my fastballs in the seats!!" So, I pulled out my 9mm Glock and said "I've got a snowball here that ain't meltin', Express.......Now....sign the freakin BAT!"

:p Bobby.......I wish I knew. The bat was already signed by both at the time I won it. I'm sure there's a fairly interesting story behind it, but if you're gonna get dinged by a heavy hitter, even if you're the all-time strike-out KING in MLB.....I can't think of a finer gentleman than Hank Aaron to have the honors.

Glad you enjoyed......thanks for the question.

cmw2ward
11-29-2009, 11:02 PM
suicide_squeeze,

Just wondering how much Mays got from you to sign and inscribe? Last i saw he wanted $500 for regular bats. Thanks.

suicide_squeeze
11-29-2009, 11:40 PM
suicide_squeeze,

Just wondering how much Mays got from you to sign and inscribe? Last i saw he wanted $500 for regular bats. Thanks.

For respect to Willie Mays, whom I worked very hard to accomplish this feat, I would rather not say at this time. However, if you email me at suicide_squeeze@roadrunner.com with a phone number to call you, I would be happy to share that info with you on a one-on-one basis.

I hope you understand, I respect the fact that Willie signed and inscribed the bat for me and to be honest, I just don't want to give off a wrong impression about the man. I will forever be greatful for him oblidging my request. What it has done, is it has given the collecting world of baseball a Willie Mays item that is incomparable in provenance. I don't know if Willie 500th home run bat is in the Hall of Fame or not, but if it is, it is probably not signed, and definately not inscribed as such, as it is my understanding, from Willie Mays himself, that this ("will be")....and now is, the ONLY signed and inscribed home run bat of his in existence.

Suffice it to say, he was aware of it's value. He was also aware that if he refused to sign game used items, the word got out there that if you shoved enough "Benjamins" in his face, you could eventually, maybe, if you could prove what you were asking for was legit.....get your item signed. But the one thing I respect most about Willie is this: He cares enought to make absolutely certain that what he signs is correct. If he can't verify it, it won't happen for ANY amount of money. I learned that in a painstaking way.....even upon presenting all the proof in the world, from HIS OWN HAND, he still wouldn't do it at first. It took a couple of meetings, and some cohersiveness from the fine support staff sitting next to him to talk him into doing it.....but make no mistake about it, I had to pay handsomely for it. Let me end in saying this....$500.00 would have been an insult to him. I started multiples higher than that. And the first time around, he only "signed" the bat. It was at a whole later signing, in May of this year, where I was finally able to get the inscription part done. And I thank the nice gentleman sitting at the end of the table (at the actual signing table Willie was sitting at) who spoke to Willie about all the corresponding supporting provenance that came with the bat, including the signed letter from Willie himself on Giants stationery....whom I actually credit as breaking Willie down to the point where he blurted out "I know exactly what that bat is, and where it came from! O.K., how much did you say you would pay me to add that inscription?"

That was a moment I will never forget.....and neither will my heart.

Danny899
11-30-2009, 01:02 AM
I thought of loaning or donating one of my Rickey Henderson jerseys for this, his HOF year. However the previous threads regarding loans and donations to the Hall had me concerned as to a potential return if any. So I'm still undecided as to that call.
Regarding an earlier post, those bats pictured, Ruth, Mays, Aaron etc, those are the kind of bats you want to stand near in the HOF and have someone take your picture with them. They're more of an artifact than a collectible or a "piece." Real nice treat it is to view those beauties. Thank you.
Dan

joelsabi
11-30-2009, 03:12 AM
(cont.)

Steve,

did the writer of the book Smithsonian Baseball ever ask you to be a part of his book. You have one of the nicest collection I have seen.

Thanks for sharing

suicide_squeeze
11-30-2009, 01:35 PM
I thought of loaning or donating one of my Rickey Henderson jerseys for this, his HOF year. However the previous threads regarding loans and donations to the Hall had me concerned as to a potential return if any. So I'm still undecided as to that call.
Regarding an earlier post, those bats pictured, Ruth, Mays, Aaron etc, those are the kind of bats you want to stand near in the HOF and have someone take your picture with them. They're more of an artifact than a collectible or a "piece." Real nice treat it is to view those beauties. Thank you.
Dan

Dan....wow, thanks. Coming from you, I sincerely mean "thanks".

I wouldn't worry about "loaning" anything to the Hall with the worry of not getting it back. As mentioned earlier in this thread, there are forms that accompany any artifact being donated....and I guess that would be the same if it were a loan. They would not "accept" your item if the paperwork wasn't "signed" by yourself. Of course, this would allow you ample time to read all the disclosure and figure out if what you were about to send there way was, in fact, a "loan", or a "gift donation".

It is apparent they do take "loans" for different reasons at times....so you very well may be the go-to guy for Henderson, if they need an authentic jersey of his for a display. Look into it, that would be pretty darn exciting to have one of your items displayed in the Hall of Fame. I know I'd be proud if they ever displayed one of mine.

Regards,

Steve

Swoboda4
12-01-2009, 09:44 PM
Steve,
Thanks for the compliment on the Stephenson piece. I would donate it to the Hall of Fame for the sole reason of enabling Mr. Stephenson to "make" the Hall of Fame. What's interesting is that he sent the questionaire to a fan long after he retired ,at a time when he could have been bitter at what current players were making and true to who he was,he remained a gentleman athlete in the best sense of the word. Imagine being the quaterback at Alabama and a lifetime .336 major league hitter over 14 seasons, and a precious few knew who he was. I find that amazing. And that's who I admire. The common man who attains great things and remains a common man.
I love baseball letters and notes and the market to my benefit, has ignored them.
Another small piece:
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l11/redmills/aaabbbcccddd.jpg?t=1259719405

This forum is designed for us to escape the maddening world around us so don't get too riled up on certain contentious issues. I try to attack the issue and not the author (I try!)and that succeeds mostly. Anyway,I suggest a good Coppola Cabernet and a Opus X cigar,enjoy your collection damn it.
By the way,this thread didn't even scratch the surface of what the members of this Forum own privately. I would almost challenge the HOF, Us vs Them. As an example, check out member Seth Swirthy's collection.
http://www.seth.com/coll_histbseballs_tn.html

And member Andy Fogel,the greatest private Met Collection:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/24/sports/baseball/24cheer.html
I can go on and on. We have a lot of Hall of Fame worthy items.

sylbry
05-17-2012, 12:11 PM
Hauls of Shame's latest post:

http://haulsofshame.com/blog/?p=12399#more-12399

Bat discussed is own by former GU member.

Babe Ruths very last at bat game used bat; It is important to note this bat is a one-year model 1932 bat. It was picked up off the field by Wally Berger, who upon hearing the Babe utter the imfamous words "I quit". asked Ruth if he could keep tha bat as a momento. Babe replied "Sure kid, keep it." Wally Berger kept the bat as his favorite keepsake until the day he died. His wife ended up giving the bat to Barry Halper, where the bat resided until the famous Halper collection auction of 1999. The fact that the bat is a 1932 model, many historians have argued, that it could have been one of Babe's favorites, and a bat that having been around for four years may have been used to hit a substantial amount of Babe's late home runs. Although that is pure speculation, one has to wonder why Babe would keep a bat around from 1932 and still be using it in 1935....the bat that marked the end of the most hollowed career in baseball history.

gingi79
05-17-2012, 11:28 PM
Sadly, Steve is no longer a member here but let's get this thread pumping again.

I own jerseys of future HOFers in both Baseball and Hockey and a player whose number is retired by the franchise. I even own a jersey whose only mate is owned by the HHOF but I don't believe I own anything that any sports HOF would be interested in displaying.