PDA

View Full Version : Photomatch Question From A New Guy

canjond
11-21-2009, 10:41 PM
I've been a lifelong collector but recently purchased a few game used items. However, I do have a few questions regarding photomatching. One thing I'm having a hard time understanding is how one can be sure that a jersey/item that can be photomatched hasn't intenionally been altered to allow for the photomatch. For example, while I concede that certain points that would allow for photomatching may be difficult to forge (grass stains, etc), I have seen other items that seem to be easily replicated (for example, a number written on a cap, a snudge on a jersey, etc). Have members found items are being altered so as to match a photo?

Nathan
11-24-2009, 12:21 AM
I've been a lifelong collector but recently purchased a few game used items. However, I do have a few questions regarding photomatching. One thing I'm having a hard time understanding is how one can be sure that a jersey/item that can be photomatched hasn't intenionally been altered to allow for the photomatch. For example, while I concede that certain points that would allow for photomatching may be difficult to forge (grass stains, etc), I have seen other items that seem to be easily replicated (for example, a number written on a cap, a snudge on a jersey, etc). Have members found items are being altered so as to match a photo?

There's usually more than one spot to photomatch an item to. In the case of a bat, for example, there may be a very distinctive ball mark; if that matches, checking something else like grain patterns would be good to make it more conclusive.

Last week I (and a few others) helped confirm a photomatch on a jersey by identifying 5-10 different areas on the crest of a Detroit Red Wings jersey that matched the photo in question. And if that hadn't done it, the repairs on the sleeve would have worked just as well; having that much confirmation basically made it a slam-dunk though.

David
11-26-2009, 01:17 AM
Beyond photo matching, it's nice to establish photos that that is the same style, type and/or brand of equipment. It says, "This is the same type of bat or jersey the player used." Some game used collectors won't buy a jersey style until it is shown that is the type the player wore.

Also look for little things like the size of the lettering and how the buttons and patches align. Many dubious jerseys have been identified because of these types of details.

David
11-26-2009, 01:24 AM
A good number of fakes on the market are a brand or style that the player never used. So if you can establish in photos that the player wore that style of Nike shoes or used that black style bat, that's not definitive photo matching but is still good information to have.

joelsabi
11-26-2009, 08:35 AM

great question. i think all of us have thought about this prior to our first purchase. i think its possible for someone to take a photo and try to replicate markings from a photo. an example could be a single loose thread. couldnt someone unscrupulous pull out a thread. i doubt its the person who originally found the photo since it would be a needle in a haystack to find a photo with a loose thread - no one in there right mind would spend their time doing that. but subsequently someone who has the photo could take a similar jersey and make a loose thread on another jersey. why? i dont know.

when considering a purchase you have to think of the honesty and trustworthiness of the seller also. there is no way i am buying a arod baseball cap without solid documentation even if it has a "3" on the inside brim. god forbid someone would forge a WWJD on a Pujol cap but then again someone had the chutzpah to forge Mother Teresa's signature.

i cant remember who said it but someone said photomatching is just one tool he used for authenticity.