PDA

View Full Version : Jersey Experts, how many jerseys are issued to players a season

scrinjun
11-21-2009, 03:19 PM
I wanted to know if anyone knew how many jerseys are issued to players in a season. I know there are throw back jerseys, and alternate jerseys and maybe a few other "special" jerseys, but I am asking how many uniform sets (tops and bottoms) are issued to a player in a season? Is there a website where you can look these things up? Thanks all.

TriplexXxSports
11-21-2009, 04:04 PM
Depends on the team and the player's request. I know that some teams allow players to order more jerseys if they want them.

Maybe a good rule of thumb is 2 per game.

Jags Fan Dan
11-21-2009, 04:05 PM
Unfortunately, I don't think there is any way to get accurate info on this topic unless you know the equipment manager of the team you are asking about. It seems like with NFL jerseys, for example, some players would have their jerseys repaired and wear them for multiple games, maybe a whole season in some cases, heck, maybe even multiple seasons for all I know. Non-stars jerseys are commonly recycled, with numbers and names changed and held over year after year.

I know with Mark Brunell, at least as early as the 1997 season, he was wearing a new jersey every game. I deduced this because the gamers I have seen and own have the opponents name written in marker on the tail tag (i.e. "PITT" for their 9/22/97 game against the Steelers and "BAL" for their 11/30/97 game against the Ravens).

Currently, with some stars, it seems they are changing jerseys at half time and getting at least 2 gamers out there per game. This is especially true of stars who have contracts with memorabilia companies (JO Sports, for example). I heard that Emmitt Smith was changing jerseys at least every quarter when he was approaching the rushing yardage record, but I don't know if that is accurate or not.

If you are looking for info on a specific player, you would do well to name who it is, as there may be a collector on here who can shed light on this topic, because it does seem to vary so greatly from player to player and probably team to team.

BarryMeisel
11-21-2009, 04:26 PM
If it is hockey you are interested in, MeiGray's Game-Worn Jersey Authentication Program tracks every jersey worn by the teams with which it has working agreements.

We publish a Population Report on our website, www.meigray.com, each season that lists every jersey worn by a team, by MeiGray's Authentication System serial number, by player name, etc.

In 2009-10, we are working with the NHL and 14 of its teams.

We have been working with the NHL since 2002-03, and have published Population Reports after each season.

Hope this helps,

Barry Meisel, MeiGray

scrinjun
11-22-2009, 10:14 AM
I should have been more specific. I was asking about MLB jerseys. Specifically about Jason Varitek and Red Sox jerseys. Those are the ones I am most interested in. Thanks for the help.

allstarsplus
11-22-2009, 10:38 AM
Depends on the team and the player's request. I know that some teams allow players to order more jerseys if they want them.

Maybe a good rule of thumb is 2 per game.

I would agree with what you said. Almost no way to know with the inventory system of most MLB teams although the old standard is a Set 1 and Set 2 for each player with the star players getting much more than that.

By the amount of game worn and game issued jerseys the Yankees put out for their star players you can start to get a sense for how many jerseys there may be.

Some teams don't set tag after Set #2 so it is difficult to keep count then.

sox83cubs84
11-22-2009, 11:49 AM
These days, even the commons can sometimes get multiple sets. One White Sox Soxfest had a rack with close to a dozen Ross Gload home jerseys, numbered as high as set 17!:eek: Considering he didn't play much that year, no doubt several of those (at least) were only team-issued. As far back as 1992, I recall seing (and owning) Cubs jerseys of non-names that were set 6. I also recall an old Hartel catalog where their inventory of GU Astros jerseys was listed. Multiples were denoted by X's. Next to Mike Cubbage's name in one group: XXXXX (5 available). The days of 2 of each style for everyone are behind us, probably for good.

Dave M.
Chicago area