PDA

View Full Version : My first Pete Rose jersey. 1977 road.

33bird
11-20-2009, 04:52 PM
I had to move a few things to afford this, that I hated to lose, but really wanted this 1977 Pete Rose road set 1 jersey-size 44. Got it from Dave Grob-Reds expert-and I'm planning to have it signed in the collar by Pete in Vegas in the next couple weeks. No alterations-all original. Hard to find Reds jerseys from the 70's that didn't get sent to the minors. Check it out.

ironmanfan
11-20-2009, 05:00 PM
Congrats on the pickup! I can't think of a more reputable guy to buy a classic Reds jersey from than Dave Grob....Be sure to post pictures of Pete signing it once its done.

MLB_Authentic
11-20-2009, 05:02 PM
oooooooo la la :D

ndevlin
11-20-2009, 06:00 PM
Nice grab.

And I know you dont care, but wouldnt a present day auto on a more vintage item, let alone a Rose auto thats a dime a dozen, decrease the value of the jersey?

Its your jersey and you can do what you want with it, but Im just curious if you or anyone else thinks that way. I myself do. I'd rather just leave the vintageness left alone....not just this item, but all game used bats and jerseys.

Just my feeling, not to take away from your jersey or thoughts at all...

33bird
11-20-2009, 06:07 PM
No, I see what you're saying. I thought the same thing, but I was going to see if Pete would sign it 1977 gamer. If not, I might just pass on it getting it signed. What do you guys think? Autograph it or leave it be?

camarokids
11-20-2009, 06:10 PM
Nice grab.

And I know you dont care, but wouldnt a present day auto on a more vintage item, let alone a Rose auto thats a dime a dozen, decrease the value of the jersey?

Its your jersey and you can do what you want with it, but Im just curious if you or anyone else thinks that way. I myself do. I'd rather just leave the vintageness left alone....not just this item, but all game used bats and jerseys.

I agree with Nate, do not get it signed.

Like Nate said it is yours to do with as you please.

But, what is the sharpie bleeds over time and or fades.

Also if you ever want to sell it in the future someone might not want it signed. So you could potentially lose some interested parties....

Very nice gamer as it stands now.

Nice pick up!!!!

Danny899
11-20-2009, 06:20 PM
It's ultimately up to you as to your preference. I never liked the inscription of "Game Used or Gamer" The only inscription I get is the year of use below the autograph. Or if was used during a significant game or season, I like the inscription to show that occasion. (for ex. 1993 WS Champs or MVP 1990) Many others like no signature at all. One thing is for certain, you shouldn't have any problem having Rose sign it. Either way, it's a beauty and congrats on it!

Rob L
11-20-2009, 06:21 PM
If you want to get it signed, how about with a silver/gold paint pen on the number. It would be easier to remove, if desired, and should not fade and blur like the sharpies do over time.

Rob L
11-20-2009, 06:21 PM
BTW, awesome jersey!!!

33bird
11-20-2009, 07:10 PM
I think you guys have convinced me to leave it be. Thanks fellas. Here's a photo I found from 77 that matches up well. See where the numbers line up with the letters and the spacing between the letters and the #14. Not saying it's a match, but it's possible.

33bird
11-20-2009, 07:36 PM
Sorry. Picture is too small to see it good.

spartakid
11-20-2009, 09:01 PM
I agree, I'd leave it unsigned, IMHO

both-teams-played-hard
11-20-2009, 10:44 PM
Greg
Sweet jersey. I would not get it signed. Pay an autograph fee and get a photo of Pete holding the jersey. Maybe use photoshop and put together a personalized LOA. Let Pete know you're a big collector of his stuff. Maybe you'll catch him in a good mood and he'll sign your letter.

Dominic3464
11-21-2009, 01:21 AM
Oh man, that's a beauty...congrats...My vote would be...absolutely... do NOT get it signed... :)

notxpensv4u
11-21-2009, 12:36 PM
Great looking Rose jersey!!! Keep it "as is" for future Big Red Machine historians to enjoy.:D

33bird
11-21-2009, 01:50 PM
Glad this got brought up. I will DEFINATELY not get it signed. Thanks for the advice fellas.

schubert1970
11-30-2009, 10:20 PM
Nice grab.

I agree with this statement, you have a real gem. I bought that PR4192 bat and removed the Rose auto for the exact reasons stated above.

Bill

33bird
11-30-2009, 10:25 PM
Bill-let's see the Mizuno bat. I have one too. It's the knobless one. I'll add pictures sometime.

RJB44
12-01-2009, 02:19 AM
Just curious on feedback, is it common for players to sign something they may have worn twenty plus years ago as "Game Used" or Game Worn" with a year? I can only image that most players are not going to recall the jersey they wore that far back. I would think players, especially the older, more high profile guys, would be hesitant on putting that claim on something, unless they are absolutely sure. Perhaps some players will sign just about anything, for a price!

33bird
12-01-2009, 09:31 AM
No. Even Pete is hesitant to do that.

ironmanfan
12-01-2009, 09:45 AM
No. Even Pete is hesitant to do that.

Which is pretty surprising coming from a guy who has no problem writing "I shot JFK" on a baseball

jbsportstuff
12-01-2009, 10:04 AM
Which is pretty surprising coming from a guy who has no problem writing "I shot JFK" on a baseball
Wow...I knew he would sign "about" anything...but come on...that is just wrong.

JCC1968
12-01-2009, 10:11 AM
Hi

Why not have Pete Rose sign it? I think it adds to the jersey and makes the display more appealing. If you don't want him to sign someplace in the center then have him sign in the corner of the jersey

Just my two cents

Jason

Neely8
12-01-2009, 11:34 AM
Hi

Why not have Pete Rose sign it? I think it adds to the jersey and makes the display more appealing. If you don't want him to sign someplace in the center then have him sign in the corner of the jersey

Just my two cents

Jason

If you read this thread from the beginning the consensus was to not get the jersey signed which I wholeheartedly agree with since it is a significant piece. I have never and will never understand the desire to have game worn jerseys signed when there are tons of other things to have signed. I prefer my game worn jerseys to remain as they were when they came off the ice/field. My .02.

otismalibu
12-01-2009, 11:38 AM
I have never and will never understand the desire to have game worn jerseys signed when there are tons of other things to have signed.

I'm sure the OP was simply trying to get an idea of which version of the jersey (signed or unsigned) would maximize profits. ;)

33bird
12-01-2009, 07:15 PM
Interesting that I have recieved some personal emails from some of the BIG name hobby guys that believe in the long run it's a better investment to have it signed. Apparently there are some Japanese collectors of Pete Rose that spend big money and they want every item signed. Not saying I'm going to do that but I will think about it.

JCC1968
12-02-2009, 10:46 AM
Hi

On a different subject but with all the Pete Rose experts. I have Pete's first military paycheck stub from December 1963. I want to get a baseball signed by him and put his army reserve unit on the baseball too for display. What army reserve units was Pete in? I hear he was a cook and then moved to a big gun unit???? Anyone shed some light on this??? Anyone have the proper military unit number he was in????

Thanks
Jason

tacprc
12-03-2009, 06:02 PM
I know that Pete did reserve training at Fort Knox, KY. I had an earlier military paystub from October and/or November 1963, but I sold it about six months ago (back to the guy from whom I had originally bought it). Chuck

tacprc
01-08-2010, 01:39 AM
In my opinion I don't think it's a bad idea to have Rose sign his game used jerseys, but I would have him sign his name only (and definitely not add the common "4256 Hit King" inscription) and sign it in the tail or collar.

That being said, I am not in a rush to have him sign my game used jerseys (and bats) due to the relatively high cost.

mariner_gamers
01-08-2010, 03:26 AM
I have never been in the market for items of this caliber so I have no real basis of value signed or not. Opinions are great but really if it is future value you are concerned with what do auctions show are more popular in the long run? This is a significant piece from a very, very, well known player who at some point will no longer sign. When Pete passes on would the market for a signed gamer outweigh a non-signed? If you chose not to get it signed and Pete dies there is no going back. What will a Pete Rose collector in 2084 prefer?? Someone far removed from our knowledge and comfort of knowing Pete signs every week. If you get it signed on the number with a paint pen future buyers have the option to at the very least display the side without the sig. It is an awesome piece and in my opinion I would pay to have Pete do it up right!

LWMM
01-08-2010, 11:04 AM
I have never been in the market for items of this caliber so I have no real basis of value signed or not. Opinions are great but really if it is future value you are concerned with what do auctions show are more popular in the long run? This is a significant piece from a very, very, well known player who at some point will no longer sign. When Pete passes on would the market for a signed gamer outweigh a non-signed? If you chose not to get it signed and Pete dies there is no going back. What will a Pete Rose collector in 2084 prefer?? Someone far removed from our knowledge and comfort of knowing Pete signs every week. If you get it signed on the number with a paint pen future buyers have the option to at the very least display the side without the sig. It is an awesome piece and in my opinion I would pay to have Pete do it up right!

Once upon a time, Babe Ruth autographs were a dime a dozen.

http://product.images.dreamsretail.com/33-46/33-46427-F.jpg

33bird
01-08-2010, 11:13 AM
Hi Guys. Thought this thread died a while ago, but still appreciate all the opinions. I'm saying it's 50/50. I've got quite a few PM's from some of the big name dealers and even they are 50/50. IF I do have it signed, I'm leaning toward the collar with just a PETE ROSE 1977. I definately won't have it signed with silver pen on the number. I don't want a big autograph either (the collar should solve that) and definately won't do the 4192 thing. Right now I'm fine with it not signed, but like many have said, 40 years done the road it might be more valuable with a nice signature on it. I would also get a picture of Pete signing it and holding it up. Thanks for all the opinions and ideas guys. Keep em coming!