PDA

View Full Version : Help from Packers fans?

perlman9
11-20-2009, 11:18 AM
I found going through some boxes an envelope postmarked 1977 (i think) from the Green Bay Packers with an autographed photo of every player on the team. Only one looked like a stamp, but the question would be are the autographs real (they all look different with different pens) and if so, is it something Packer fans would want? I believe my older brother wrote the team and got this in return. It is in the original envelope it was mailed back in and if I recall, all the photos are 8x10.

Thanks!

grosenbrook
11-20-2009, 02:04 PM
Send me a few scans of some of the bigger name players and I will see if I can help you out.

Gerald

gwrosey@bloomer.net

perlman9
11-20-2009, 02:08 PM
Will do, although I didn't recognize too many names so must not have beein during their hey-day! I think Lynn Dickey was the QB

David
11-20-2009, 02:59 PM
Over the years NFL teams had 'team issue' photos of players that they sent tothe press and fans. I've never heard of them being mailed with hand signatures, though often will have faux/pre-printed sigs. They unsigned sets usually aren't worth a lot of money, but are collectible and the original envelope will give a premium in value. They typically will be found with the envelope missing, so the envelope is a nice extra.

David
11-20-2009, 03:03 PM
I should add that for a set with pre printed signatures, all the signatures should be in the same color pen (usually black), and won't have indentations as with a ballpoint pen. As I said, unless it was special deal, I've not heard of these sets coming with hand autographs. When I was a kid I wrote the Packers for Bart Starr's autograph, and only got an unsigned team postcard in return.

David
11-20-2009, 03:12 PM
One last point, team issue photos are in the genre as trading cards and are most often collected by sports card collectors. In the Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards, many team issue photos are listed, including team issues picturing everyone from Lefty Grove to Jim Rice. So clearly team issued photos are collected and recognized as collectible.

perlman9
11-20-2009, 04:07 PM
Thanks for all the help! these mostly look hand signed, as most look very different from one another, and i do think a few are pen. I will have to double check, however. I remember one standing out as being preprinted, but other than that, most look actually signed. some have bible versus, and a few have a short greeting. I will try to take some pics and post this weekend on Monday. Thanks for all your help!!!

perlman9
11-24-2009, 08:18 PM
Most if not all are definitely hand signed. I don't recognize the names, but will take some photos and post tomorrow!

perlman9
11-25-2009, 09:31 AM
Here is a photo of some of the photos..
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj162/perlman9/pac1.jpg

David
11-25-2009, 02:16 PM
If they're autographed the postmarked Packers envelope is known as great provenance.

By the way, John Brockington was my favorite player when I was a kid.

perlman9
11-25-2009, 02:38 PM
Thanks! It was fun to look at the pics and see some jerseys that looked brand new and others that looks beat to heck and back! Not sure what I am going to do with these, but nice to know there is some value!