PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any thoughts on these Varitek items?

scrinjun
11-19-2009, 10:40 AM
Another ebay auction. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this auction and or knew the seller. Thanks for the help.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2006-Jason-Varitek-Game-Worn-Used-Red-Sox-Jersey-Bat_W0QQitemZ180433673651QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item2a02af5db3

Penny

I collect Jason Varitek and Boston Red Sox items

suave1477
11-19-2009, 11:46 AM
Well here is just an angle to look at it.

I find it interesting he posts a picture of the inside wash tag which is completely washed out from washings.
So it kind of defeats the purpose or does it???

To add to that players now-a-days go through Jerseys like underwear and they don't wear the same jerseys any more or as constantly as they used to years ago. So I am a bit surprised that Varitek would wear the same jersey that much for the wash tag to be completely gone.

AGAIN I AM NOT SAYING IT ISN'T POSSIBLE (This is for the people who take everything so literally)

I am just saying players today wear a lot of Jerseys and the Jerseys do not have the same heavy wear as Jerseys did years ago.

Which makes this very conveinent for the seller to say this was worn a lot so the tag is completely faded out and you can't see it saying 6200 or 0062

sox83cubs84
11-19-2009, 02:39 PM
I enlarged the photo on eBay (wish I could post it here, but I'm not that PC savvy). The tag DOES appear to be a 0062...the whole notation isn't clear, but it does begin with a "0" and end with a "2". Given the tag's wear, it would be helpful to get a look at the shoulder tops and back closeup...areas where more than limited use would result in fabric piling from the chest protector.

Dave M.
Chicago area

GarkoCollector
11-19-2009, 02:46 PM
you can upload it to photobucket and then you select the [yourlinkhere] and paste it into the forum. If you want to email it to me I will post it for you

scrinjun
11-20-2009, 10:56 AM
Well here is just an angle to look at it.

I find it interesting he posts a picture of the inside wash tag which is completely washed out from washings.
So it kind of defeats the purpose or does it???

To add to that players now-a-days go through Jerseys like underwear and they don't wear the same jerseys any more or as constantly as they used to years ago. So I am a bit surprised that Varitek would wear the same jersey that much for the wash tag to be completely gone.

AGAIN I AM NOT SAYING IT ISN'T POSSIBLE (This is for the people who take everything so literally)

I am just saying players today wear a lot of Jerseys and the Jerseys do not have the same heavy wear as Jerseys did years ago.

Which makes this very conveinent for the seller to say this was worn a lot so the tag is completely faded out and you can't see it saying 6200 or 0062

So is there any truth to an interview I saw with a Red Sox club house attendant that all players are supplied with 2 sets of Home and Away uniforms only? That would explain why things are washed so much.

suave1477
11-20-2009, 11:03 AM
So is there any truth to an interview I saw with a Red Sox club house attendant that all players are supplied with 2 sets of Home and Away uniforms only? That would explain why things are washed so much.

Scrinjun I do not know the practices of equipment ordering for the Red Sox.

But in general in todays day of baseball a team can order more than 2 sets. Sometimes 3 or even more. Sometimes players themselves order more Jerseys for themselves.

And don't forget you have Home, Road, Alternate, Throwbacks.

I am not sure if the Red Sox wear the Alternate for Sunday Jerseys. But I do believe they have a specified Jersey to wear on Sundays or something like that.