PDA

View Full Version : set 2 vs. set 1

Number9
06-12-2006, 07:44 PM
Just curious, but do any of you guys have sort of a bias against set 2 jerseys, seeing them as sort of backups???
My understanding from many years of collecting is this: In hockey, set 2 is the second set used in a season (replacing the first set). BUT in BASEBALL it is my understanding that a player gets several jerseys at once, each is tagged differently, set 1, set 2, set 3, set 4 etc depending on the player. So in baseball, set 2 is NOT specifically the second jersey used that season. A player meraly has several sets of his jersey sitting is his locker, as anyone who has ever been in a locker room has seen. Set 2 could sit at the back of his locker never used, and of course it could be grabbed and used a lot too.
Does anyone agree this is the way it is? Disagree? Anyone know for sure?
Secondly, and really my first point, do you guys find yourself having less interest in a set 2 jersey compared to one tagged set 1?
Just curious how you guys are. I DO have a bias against set 2 jerseys but perhaps you can convince me I should feel otherwise with your thoughts.
Thanks to anyone willing to express an opinion.

Swoboda4
06-13-2006, 07:21 AM
Set 2's are just fine-if they make them anymore. There's so many jerseys now assigned for game use that if I saw a set 2 I'd treat it as special as set 1. On a hot day a player may change his jersey 3 times, in the same style of course,so there's many real jerseys used than can be properly accounted for like before. During an interview you can see at least five of the same style jerseys in a players locker today. It's changed a lot due to clubs having many styles of jerseys for marketing. No longer are players given only 2 home and 2 away-a thing of the past.

Number9
06-13-2006, 07:07 PM
Swoboda,
Thanks for your opinion. I appreciate it. I guess I am just trying to get over my bias against set 2 jerseys, as it doesnt really make much sense considering what you say and I also know, that a player just has several jerseys in his locker. Its not like one replaces the other or one 'backs up' the other. And consodering different players get different amounts of jerseys based on need and status I dont know why they even bother with the set designations anymore.
Thanks.