PDA

View Full Version : I got Hacked

ham1963
06-12-2006, 04:37 PM
Let me tell you a story that happened to me this past Sunday morn. I logged on my computer to check my e-mail and I received an TKO e-mail from E-Bay so I thought that it was a spoof e-mail and I delated it. I then tried to log on onto my E-Bay account and was unable to with my password. So I remember that I had a phone number for E-Bay and I called them (Yes I got a hold of a person on the phone who helped me). I then discovered that someone had hacked into my account and posted an posted an auction under my E-Bay Id. name. What I found out was that someone had hacked into the E-Bay mail system and sent me a spoof E-Mail through E-Bay (Suppose to be 100% safe right?) and when I clicked opened the e-mail they got access to my E-Bay account. Luckly E-Bay was able to fix it and my hassels was to change my passwords for E-Bay So the moral of this story is to be carefull of any e-mail you receive even if it is though E-Bay's system.
John :eek:

sportscentury
06-12-2006, 06:54 PM
John,

I'm not sure I understand your email, but based on my understanding, don't think they sent you a spoof email through the actual eBay system. I think they sent you an email that looked like it was sent through the eBay system. When you logged on, they were able to see your userid and password; at that point, they were able to take over your account (or at least use it). They got me on this once but I immediately realized that it was not a real eBay system email after I entered my password, so I then quickly hopped on to eBay to change my password, which evidently worked. So, if this ever happens to anyone, quickly change your password with eBay so that your original password that you entered into the fake eBay system email cannot be used by the criminal.

There are so many scams with eBay and Paypal that it should be its own section on this forum. It is weird that two posts have dealt with this today on the forum, as I am guessing that most of us deal with this stuff on a daily or weekly basis. It is amazing how many times a week someone tries to scam me with fake eBay or Paypal emails. I used to forward them all to eBay and Paypal but there are just too many of them.

Reid

ham1963
06-12-2006, 10:33 PM
Ried, Thanks for the advice but the e-mail came though the E-Bay e-mail system. I did not recive this e-mail though my regular e-mail (Earthlink). Anytime I get an e-mail from E-Bay I always log onto E-Bay account and check the e-mail though thier system. That is why I was shocked that I got hacked becasue I was under the impression that the E-Bay system was safe. (I guess not)

Swoboda4
06-13-2006, 06:09 AM
Check Ebay under spoof mail. There are specific color borders to Ebays real mail as oppossed to fake mail that arrives. And NEVER answer any email that asks for you to "log in" before they give you their message.

sportscentury
06-13-2006, 12:42 PM
Ried, Thanks for the advice but the e-mail came though the E-Bay e-mail system. I did not recive this e-mail though my regular e-mail (Earthlink). Anytime I get an e-mail from E-Bay I always log onto E-Bay account and check the e-mail though thier system. That is why I was shocked that I got hacked becasue I was under the impression that the E-Bay system was safe. (I guess not)

Wow, that's crazy. Thanks for the post.
Reid