PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever used "forenisc testing" on a game used item?

Dewey2007
11-13-2009, 05:44 PM
I was just reading the auction listing for the Lou Gehrig jersey that is being offered in the current GFC Auction. Near the end of the listing it reads:

After keeping it in his personal collection for a half dozen or so years, Barry (Halper) later traded it to a collector who had the shirt forensically tested. All materials were found to be consistent with the era.

Has anyone here on the forum ever had a jersey or anything else game used forensically tested? I was just curious what the process entails in relation to a game used jersey if anyone knows.

kingjammy24
11-13-2009, 05:54 PM
I was just reading the auction listing for the Lou Gehrig jersey that is being offered in the current GFC Auction. Near the end of the listing it reads:

After keeping it in his personal collection for a half dozen or so years, Barry (Halper) later traded it to a collector who had the shirt forensically tested. All materials were found to be consistent with the era.

Has anyone here on the forum ever had a jersey or anything else game used forensically tested? I was just curious what the process entails in relation to a game used jersey if anyone knows.

different fabrics were made differently at different points in time. from what i gather, the "forensic testing" just confirms what the fabrics really are (beyond simply "cotton" or "polyester") and once you know exactly what sort of fabric it is, you can pinpoint it to a rough time period. if
the back numbers on a 1956 mantle jersey, for example, are found to be made of a very specific type of fabric that was first introduced in 1970,
then you know you've got a problem. mears has written a few articles about it.

rudy.

David
11-13-2009, 10:11 PM
With forensic testing of paper, they take a piece from the paper it and identify the different chemicals and wood fibers in it. From these they can determine the date, as they know when the substances were added to paper making. They date pen ink similarly. I assume they could do something on this order with cloth.