PDA

View Full Version : Gary Sheffield

Manram
11-11-2009, 06:16 PM
I was just curious what you guys think. Do you think Gary will keep playing until he gets 3,000 hits?

skyking26
11-11-2009, 10:34 PM
Doubtful. I think he wants to; but teams will not want his sullen clubhouse record of medical bills. Thome will be in a similar boat. He has a better clubhouse presence, but teams will at least have a choice of old DH's to hire that are one dimensional....

legaleagle92481
11-12-2009, 10:11 AM
Absolutely no chance. He is 41 and in the past two seasons he has not topped 100 hits. He needs slightly over 300 for 3,000 so at that pace he would have to play three full years and into a fourth season which would make him 45 when he reached the milestone. No way he plays that long. His defense is subpar so he really cannot play in the field on an everyday basis anymore and he does not produce enough to be a fulltime DH so if he sticks around it will be as a bench player/pinch hitter somewhere. Plus his rep will scare off many teams.

suave1477
11-12-2009, 12:17 PM
I pretty much agree with everything legaleagle says except for the part of him not producing enough to be a full time DH. Sheff defintiely can end up being a full time DH somewhere and can defintiely proiduce in such a role. His last 2 seasons showed that.

I think in Sheffs cards he may have 1 or 2 more seasons left in him and again that is if a team wants to take a chance on picking him up.

skyking26
11-12-2009, 01:47 PM
I know of 2 DH's on the market for 2010....Sheffield and Thome. Hmmm. which would you employ for YOUR ballclub?????????????

sox83cubs84
11-12-2009, 06:24 PM
I know of 2 DH's on the market for 2010....Sheffield and Thome. Hmmm. which would you employ for YOUR ballclub?????????????

Although he's played the field a lot more than those 2 in recent years, you might want to add Hideki Matsui to that group. The White Sox have some interest in Godzilla, and that interest is in his being a DH.

Dave M.
Chicago area

skyking26
11-12-2009, 07:26 PM
Although he's played the field a lot more than those 2 in recent years, you might want to add Hideki Matsui to that group. The White Sox have some interest in Godzilla, and that interest is in his being a DH.

Dave M.
Chicago area
Yes, if I were a GM and saw these 3, I'd put Shef last or not even in consideration. His presence in Detroit was nothing short of a disaster.

Manram
11-12-2009, 09:54 PM
Thanks for all the reponses

suave1477
11-13-2009, 10:53 AM

Your assuming there is only 1 team that wants a DH.

I am sure there is going to be a few teams out there that want an extra power bat on the bench.

So if Matsui gets picked first and than Thome. I am sure somewhere there will be a team that wants Sheff.

Hey look at it like this the Rockies picked up Giambi!!:rolleyes:

metsbats
11-13-2009, 10:57 AM
Along the same lines I think one of the injustices in the recent past is the fact that Fred McGriff never got to sign on with any team so he can reach 500 hrs. All he needed was 7 more.

suave1477
11-13-2009, 11:58 AM
Along the same lines I think one of the injustices in the recent past is the fact that Fred McGriff never got to sign on with any team so he can reach 500 hrs. All he needed was 7 more.

Funny you mention that I saw him in an interview a few months back and he himself said he didn't think that it was going to be that big of a deal to reach the 500 mark so he himself said tha he never really expressed interest to teams that he wanted to be signed again.

He said if he knew it was going to be such a big deal he would have pushed to be signed to a team so he can try to reach the mark.

skyking26
11-15-2009, 01:08 AM
Fred McGriff was NOT the only player to suffer the injustice of not getting tendered a contract to get to 500.

Ending at 442 in 1986, his final season 35 homers and 94 RBI's are
not enough for a 1987 contact???

Beg to question that one...

skyking26
11-15-2009, 01:08 AM
Fred McGriff was NOT the only player to suffer the injustice of not getting tendered a contract to get to 500.

Ending at 442 in 1986, his final season 35 homers and 94 RBI's are
not enough for a 1987 contact???

Beg to question that one...
And the answer is Dave Kingman...............

WadeInBmore
11-15-2009, 01:07 PM
I would also add Juan Gonzalez and Jose Canseco to list list of guys who never reached 500 but are/were so close...though highly controversial.

I just hate it when a player like McGriff doesn't get to have his own swan song and go out like he wanted to.

wade

skyking26
11-15-2009, 04:13 PM
I would also add Juan Gonzalez and Jose Canseco to list list of guys who never reached 500 but are/were so close...though highly controversial.

I just hate it when a player like McGriff doesn't get to have his own swan song and go out like he wanted to.

wade
McGriff is NO different than Kingman. 2 guys that just did their thing and got crapped on.