PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Zimmerman gets his 1st Gold Glove!

allstarsplus
11-11-2009, 03:42 PM
Almost 2 weeks ago, Ryan received the 1st ever ESPN WebGem of the Year award which honors the great defensive plays and now Zim got his first ever Gold Glove which meant a lot to him personally as he takes so much pride in his defense.

At the hot corner, Washington Nationals third baseman Ryan Zimmerman completed one of the most well-rounded individual seasons in baseball by winning his first Gold Glove, Zimmerman, who made his first All-Star team and batted .292 with 33 home runs and 106 RBIs, also led all NL third basemen in assists, total chances, total outs recorded and games started.

This also is the 1st Gold Glove in Nationals history!

vdsporty25
11-11-2009, 03:55 PM
Ryan put together a truly fantastic season!!! He plays the game the right way and he is a true pleasure to watch play day in and day out .....(on MLB Extra Ticket....:)

If only the Tigers had a player like him to cheer for....

vdsporty25
11-11-2009, 04:01 PM
Almost 2 weeks ago, Ryan received the 1st ever ESPN WebGem of the Year award which honors the great defensive plays and now Zim got his first ever Gold Glove which meant a lot to him personally as he takes so much pride in his defense.

At the hot corner, Washington Nationals third baseman Ryan Zimmerman completed one of the most well-rounded individual seasons in baseball by winning his first Gold Glove, Zimmerman, who made his first All-Star team and batted .292 with 33 home runs and 106 RBIs, also led all NL third basemen in assists, total chances, total outs recorded and games started.

This also is the 1st Gold Glove in Nationals history!

Hey Andrew....I replied to your email....I was having problems with my internet connection so I am just following up

allstarsplus
11-11-2009, 06:45 PM
Josh - I just emailed you pics of 6 Ryan Zimmerman game used bats!

ndevlin
11-11-2009, 07:13 PM
There could be argument that Aybar could have received it over Jeter. I personally think Aybar played better defense this yr. Just my thought.

sportscrazy13
11-11-2009, 07:36 PM
I can't believe Pujols didn't win it at first

scootmagroot
11-11-2009, 09:38 PM
I cant believe Zimmerman won. A guy sets a record for fielding percentage at 3rd and he doesnt get it? his glove is not in the HOF, but he doesnt get a gold glove? seriously? I hate how defensive awards, arent completely defensive.

allstarsplus
11-11-2009, 09:58 PM
I cant believe Zimmerman won. A guy sets a record for fielding percentage at 3rd and he doesnt get it? his glove is not in the HOF, but he doesnt get a gold glove? seriously? I hate how defensive awards, arent completely defensive.

This is certainly a subjective award but Zim is a defensive magician at 3rd base and the fielding percentage is only one measure as Zim had the highest Ultimate Zone Rating of 18.1 which led all big league third baseman -- UZR is an advanced metric that measures the number of runs a player saves or lets in, above or below an average player. Also Zimmerman led all NL third basemen with 459 total chances and 325 assists and was a fixture of the "Web Gems" segment of ESPN's "Baseball Tonight" and won the 1st ever Web Gem award! It was determined that many of his throwing errors were due to that fact he got to balls that others couldn't and had to make off-balance throws.

Also remember that the Padres have a slick fielder at 1st base in Adrian Gonzalez who won a Gold Glove and saved several throwing errors for his 3rd baseman.

On the pure fielding percentage, you say no but with all the factors it was a no doubter. They got this one right!

capitalssticks
11-11-2009, 10:37 PM
At least we finally have a baseball player worth an award around the DC area. No gold gloves on the Redskins

Vintagedeputy
11-11-2009, 10:58 PM

Brooks Robinson said that Ryan Zimmerman is the best defensive 3B in the game today.

That's all I need to hear for Zim to get my vote. If B. Robby says its so, its so.

scootmagroot
11-11-2009, 11:30 PM
Brooks Robinson said that Ryan Zimmerman is the best defensive 3B in the game today.

That's all I need to hear for Zim to get my vote. If B. Robby says its so, its so.

Brooks Robinson also said a buddy of mine would never be a good 3rd baseman in the major leagues.....needless to say...he won 6 straight gold gloves prior to getting hurt and missing lots of time over the last few years. I personally think Kouz should have won...and i think he is a total douchebag...but thats just me. 3 errors to 17 errors....that says enough to me.

allstarsplus
11-12-2009, 08:07 AM
Brooks Robinson also said a buddy of mine would never be a good 3rd baseman in the major leagues.....needless to say...he won 6 straight gold gloves prior to getting hurt and missing lots of time over the last few years. I personally think Kouz should have won...and i think he is a total douchebag...but thats just me. 3 errors to 17 errors....that says enough to me.

So basically the ESPN Web Gem people and the voters are wrong because you believe the only criteria is fielding percentage.

This isn't like the Batting Average title that is based on the highest batting averages once you reached the minimum at-bats.

UZR and Zim's degree of difficulty and great glove got him the award and maybe that is why it is called the golden glove vs. the golden arm because 14 of his 17 errors was on throws.

Watch the video how talented this kid is:

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091111&content_id=7652706&vkey=news_was&fext=.jsp&c_id=was

allstarsplus
11-12-2009, 07:29 PM
Add Zim's 1st Silver Slugger too! 30 game hit streak, .292 Batting Average, 106 RBIs and 33 HRs!!!!!

allstarsplus
11-12-2009, 07:34 PM
http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091112&content_id=7657990&vkey=news_was&fext=.jsp&c_id=was

Silver Slugger article and video

allstarsplus
11-13-2009, 07:09 AM

This is a link to the Sports Illustrated article on "who should have won the Gold Gloves".....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/ted_keith/11/11/gold.glove.awards/1.html

SI didn't agree with many, but they did agree they got it right with Ryan Zimmerman. Here was the big shocker to me. 2nd place to Casey Blake so should we assume Kevin Kouzmanoff wasn't even close?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/288385-adrian-gonzalez-wins-a-gold-glove-kevin-kouzmanoff-does-not

After reading many articles on the Gold Glove, the UZR is now a huge factor in total voting which is also why Derek Jeter seems to have won his Gold Glove.

Vintagedeputy
11-13-2009, 08:36 AM
This is a link to the Sports Illustrated article on "who should have won the Gold Gloves".....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/ted_keith/11/11/gold.glove.awards/1.html

SI didn't agree with many, but they did agree they got it right with Ryan Zimmerman. Here was the big shocker to me. 2nd place to Casey Blake so should we assume Kevin Kouzmanoff wasn't even close?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/288385-adrian-gonzalez-wins-a-gold-glove-kevin-kouzmanoff-does-not

After reading many articles on the Gold Glove, the UZR is now a huge factor in total voting which is also why Derek Jeter seems to have won his Gold Glove.

Looks like SI nailed it. Zim was the hands down winner!

Kudos also to Nyjer Morgan. Looks like he wuz robbed!

allstarsplus
01-16-2010, 01:29 PM

Just saw this as it looks like Kevin Kouzmanoff just got traded to the Oakland Athletics:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100115&content_id=7925900&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Manram
01-16-2010, 01:44 PM
Just saw this as it looks like Kevin Kouzmanoff just got traded to the Oakland Athletics:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100115&content_id=7925900&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Us A's fans are really happy about getting Kouzmanoff. I am glad that the A's have finally gotten a very solid third baseman. After they traded away prospect Brett Wallace I was wondering who would be the starting third baseman, since Chavez is always hurt